Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig downs
After a lot of work I finally primed the interior compartment today.
I stripped off the paint
Installed Engman's long stiffener kit,
Redid the speaker hole patch in the fire wall
Made a hand throttle

This is the speaker hole patch before and after
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Paint srtipped and cleaned
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
craig downs
And Primed
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
I just bought this new spray gun last week its a Devilbiss Plus. I've always like the
the old school guns with a pressure pot but this new gun is awesome. The delivery
is much like my older ones but atomizes so much better.
Click to view attachment
stateofidleness
man, i wish someone could help me with that!

ive got weld/patching needs and am on the fence about paying some shop huge $$$ to do the floorpans, hell hole, and engman's kit install...

any volunteers? smile.gif lol
Grimstead
That is a great job Craig! Have you decided about the spray on sound deadener for the firewall? I think having mine sprayed on both sides really helps (and I still plan to use that B-Quite I bought last year as well).

pray.gif
Lou W
Looks great Craig, keep the pictures coming. beerchug.gif

Hi Bill (Grimstead). smile.gif
Aaron Cox
dude! you da man!!
David_S
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 20 2008, 06:59 PM) *

man, i wish someone could help me with that!

ive got weld/patching needs and am on the fence about paying some shop huge $$$ to do the floorpans, hell hole, and engman's kit install...

any volunteers? smile.gif lol

If only S.A. wasnt as far away as it is !!!!!! Think about how to get the thing up here and I can mount it to my rotisserie and make the floorpans and hell hole a lot easier !!!
Toast
Cool Craig!! girlboing.gif

Nice to see you again. wavey.gif

Good Luck!

toast.gif
KaptKaos
Nice. I love the look of a clean painted interior. smilie_pokal.gif
Grimstead
icon_bump.gif
Post more pics!
biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
Thanks for the reminder Bill.

Yeah! More pix!!
toon1
QUOTE(Grimstead @ Jan 20 2008, 07:07 PM) *

That is a great job Craig! Have you decided about the spray on sound deadener for the firewall? I think having mine sprayed on both sides really helps (and I still plan to use that B-Quite I bought last year as well).

pray.gif

that looks good craig!! good job. Interiors are not easy to do.

I used" quiet car "on the engine bay side of the fire wall. It works good, easy to install and paintable.

Keep up the good work
craig downs
So you dug up my thread. Ok I'll post some more pics tomorrow as I've got quite a lot more done.
Thank you for all the good comments.

Thanks Toon. I remember see your engine compartment and my jaw dropped in awe.
Very nice job. I was considering using Quite Car before I saw your job and after seeing you use it I bought some. I'm going to spray it in the interior cabin, front and
rear trunks, engine compartment ,and underneath. I'm going for a quite comfortable car because me and the misses with be going to a lot of places with it.
thesey914
nice repair Criag - I'm so glad that you replaced that speaker hole with a proper patch. smile.gif
Grimstead
popcorn[1].gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Grimstead @ May 25 2008, 10:23 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
sww914
When you're painting interiors, trunks, or engine compartments a very easy way to mask the odd shaped parts like wire harnesses, steering wheels, or shifters is to wrap them with aluminum foil. It's cheap and easy to apply and remove. With tape at 6-8 bucks a roll a couple dollars of foil goes a long way.
computers4kids
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 25 2008, 12:19 PM) *

When you're painting interiors, trunks, or engine compartments a very easy way to mask the odd shaped parts like wire harnesses, steering wheels, or shifters is to wrap them with aluminum foil. It's cheap and easy to apply and remove. With tape at 6-8 bucks a roll a couple dollars of foil goes a long way.

Excellent idea...I never thought of that.
3d914
Very nice work Craig. What was your choice of primer, and how does it fit into your paint method?

I was under the impression that the type of primer had to match the paint method used (single stage, multi-coat, etc), so I've reached a stopping point.

I've narrowed the primer down to either Epoxy or Polyester. Since it looks like you used chemical paint remover I suspect you went with an epoxy primer.

Keep up the good work & pics.
craig downs
Thanks Stephen
I used PPG DP40 epoxy primer and had good luck with. I'm planning on using a primer surfacer over it then block sanding it then a sealer before the top coat.
You have to make sure that all the primer you use is compatible with each other and
your top coat.
craig downs
Ok guys here is some more.
On to the front where I install a sway bar with Enmans swaybar supports. I then added some more weld to the front panel and wheel house because I replaced those years ago after a accident. I removed the fenders because the doors gaps were to wide and it made it a little easier to work on. They came off easy because I braised
them on before.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
I had to remove the head light box because when I put it in before it rubbed with the corner of the hood.
As it turn out it was to wide so I had to shorten it and now its just right

Click to view attachment
sww914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 25 2008, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ May 25 2008, 12:19 PM) *

Excellent idea...I never thought of that.

I never did either. 25 years ago a little tiny old Mexican dude told me- joo white guys don't know how to do nothing. Wrap that sheet in teen foil, ees much faster. biggrin.gif
craig downs
With the fenders install

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
I thought it would be a good idea to check and make sure everything lined up with the hood, headlight doors and ebrows, and the fenders before I finalized everything. As it turned out everything looked good except the hood gap on the passenger side headlight door. So I added to the hood with some lead. Sorry I started taking pics after I had the lead on.

Click to view attachment
craig downs
Hear it is done along with the drivers side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
Thanks Steve for the tip about using foil. I never thought about it but that would work pretty good and yes it is cheaper than tape.
MrKona
This is a great thread. Thanks for taking the time to post.
craig downs
Ok I've been bad about updating my progress its been awhile but its coming along pretty good. So here is the front end primed with PPG DP 40.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

craig downs
My wife came out and said I'm board is there anything I can do.
So I said hmm do you want to strip some paint and she said ok.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
I was painting a wine rack for work and when I closed the garage door it pushed it over and fell on the car and made a dent but I was able to metal finish it without to much trouble.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
This is how I chose to do the spoiler. I cut off the ends and mounted them on the rear fenders. I mixed up some fiberglass resin and took some mat and shredded it and
mixed it in with the resin used it to blend it into the lid. You have to make sure you get all the air pockets out of the resin or you could have trouble later on. Then I used body filler with fiberglass strands to finish it.
craig downs
Here is how the ends look like.

Click to view attachment
Grimstead
There you are, hiding on the third page...
icon_bump.gif

The car is looking great, I really do admire your level of detail on everything you do be it your car or my house biggrin.gif
Grimstead
icon_bump.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
craig downs
Alright I'll see what I can do
craig downs
Rear end ready for 1st coat of primer

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

craig downs
Rear end primed with epoxy primed

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
Next I sprayed some primer surfacer and a guide coat to aid with sanding

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
craig downs
I put the suspension back on the car so I can push it in and out of the garage while wet sanding and painting. After over a year on jack stands here is the mess that was created.
Boy what a mess.

Click to view attachment
G e o r g e
Craig

send these pics to info@wcr09.com so I can make your "start" file

nice work by the way beerchug.gif
JoeSharp
Craig: My car has been on the stands so long that I done major cleaning under it 4 times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.