Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dellorto questions *Now with pics!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChopNotch
I am bringing back a car which has been sitting under a cover in a garage for 12 years.

Facts:

*Car has not been started for 12 years.
*Car started last week with gas poured down the carbs and ran for a few seconds.
*Replaced today what looks like a stock FI pump with a carburetor pressure rated pump.

*Car has new gas.
*New fuel pump is working and carbs are getting fuel pressure.

Looking down the barrels of the carbs, when the throttle is hit, there is "no" gas being shot into any of the 4 carb throats.

If any of you guys are familiar with Dell's (DLRA 45's)

Is there anything I can try to get the carbs to squirt some gas, outside of pulling the carbs and rebuilding them? (I know they are probably gummed up after 12 years)

Can I access the floats or is there a particular area which would most likely be blocked on both carbs which would prevent fuel from flowing through the carbs?

I am trying to get them sorted with whatever settings/sync they were parked with since I have no experience setting them back up and don't have any of the airflow meters yet, have blown my cash wad so far getting to where I am at on the car this far.

Thanks if you have any suggestions.
davep
Probably require a full rebuild as the old gas would have turned to varnish practically everywhere.

Took me a lot of digging, but I found a web link for Art Thrane:

http://www.aircooledengineering.com/
ConeDodger
CB Performance is basically your only source for parts. If you don't want to do a rebuild yourself Art Thrane in Salt Lake City Utah is the best. About 400 bucks for an uncomplicated rebuild though...
Welcome to the madness. Dells are great carbs...
ChopNotch
Thanks fellas.

I ordered the kits last week from CB and they got here Tuesday.

I just had a $10 bet with my 18 yo little brother I would have the car running by Saturday and would be sending him video to prove it. Gonna lose that one I guess!

Been working like mad for days.

Gint
welcome.png

You can't let webers or dells sit for a few years and have them run for crap without rebuilding. Rebuild 'em and you will be able to adjust them by ear enough to get the car running. And the end result will still probably better than if you just try to get it running without the rebuilds.
ChopNotch
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 24 2008, 09:26 PM) *

welcome.png

You can't let webers or dells sit for a few years and have them run for crap without rebuilding. Rebuild 'em and you will be able to adjust them by ear enough to get the car running. And the end result will still probably better than if you just try to get it running without the rebuilds.

Thanks Gint!

I'll probably do that then.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(ChopNotch @ Jan 24 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Thanks fellas.

I ordered the kits last week from CB and they got here Tuesday.

I just had a $10 bet with my 18 yo little brother I would have the car running by Saturday and would be sending him video to prove it. Gonna lose that one I guess!

Been working like mad for days.

That reminds me of how I got my first car. My Dad and uncles were sitting in the backyard at a family get-together. They were downing a few beers and my Dad pointed to his 63 Chev Impala sitting next to the garage. It had quit running the previous week at the stop sign at the end of our street. My Dad said, "if you can get that thing running, you can have it". My uncles who owned gas stations and an insurance wrecking yard smiled and winked at me. Monday when I got home from school my uncle was waiting with his tow truck and one of those starting motors that was gas engine driven. We fired it up first twist. Turns out it had a broken motor mount and when my Dad was pulling away from the stop sign it torqued up into the firewall and cracked the distributor. It was a rainy day so a little water shut it down. My Dad kept to his word and so I got my first car for $37 in parts and a little labor... Got my first speeding ticket the next week!
ChopNotch
Dude, that's a freakin' awesome story!

I got this car from my Dad as well. He's owned it since '76 (it's a '74). I learned to drive in this car. I've been bugging him for it since I was 14...

It took 26 years for him to crack, now it's finally in my garage. aktion035.gif

Hopefully be doing this driving.gif by Wednesday.
type11969
Pump jets are clogged probably along with the pump bowls being fileld with crud. You may be able to crack the pump bowls to drain the crud, pull the pump jets to clean em and pull the screws at the top of the carb to blow out the pump circuit (watch for the spring and the ball bearing) but you are probably better off just pulling the carbs off and taking them completely apart to clean.
ChopNotch
Man, A lot of parts in one of those carbs!

Got one apart and presently soaking the guts. Did the top of the body already. One of the ball bearings was stuck and took a little bit to get out. The tall jets had a ton of funk. Gonna have to hot the Autozone for some blank gasket material manana to make some new carb to manifold gaskets.

I can't remember crossing my fingers this hard that this goes well and works.

Thanks again for all you guys suggestions!
ChopNotch
Man, it's been a circus of one.

While reassembling carb #1, I couldn't find one of the pump jet assemblies.

IPB Image

I have been freaking out for a good hour and a half... Crawling around the garage like I was on a knee busting pilgrimage to The Virgin of Guadalupe...

IPB Image

After plenty of cussing under my breath about how the hell could I have lost that part and did the cat sneak in the garage and eat it, I decided to unload the camera pics to verify it was there in the first place. (See hole near top of upper left carb)

IPB Image

Holy Cr#%@$P

It was missing in the first place! No wonder dad hated the carbs!

So... I am in a pickle.

Anyone got a junker 2bbl Dell in their carburetor museum collection who would be willing to part with just one long pump jet assembly?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.