Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - 1st time a Porsche has left me stranded :-(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
A little OT. I drive my 88 944 NA with 71K miles everyday, rain, shine, or snow. I have to drive once a week to the office in Arlington Hts IL (approx 80 miles one way) and today was the day. For those that know Chicagoland I made it to mile marker 38.5 near Ohare Airport on North I294 when, while stuck in stop and go traffic, I smelled that antifreeze smell and thought someone is running hot. Checked my temp guage and #!@#$@#$! its me headbang.gif made it to the shoulder and shut it off. I didn't really get to check out the problem, but could see antifreeze leaking towards the front of the engine. I think the thermal switch for the cooling fans may have went bad which caused the car to overheat and blow a hose (I hope). Only reason I think it is the thermal switch is the cooling fans were not runnnig when I shut the car off.

Anyway *999 works real well. State Police sent a flatbed and my 944 is now in a tow yard in franklin park. I took a cab to O'hare, got a rental car and continued to the main office. I went back to O'hare and return the rental (Kia Spectra icon8.gif ) and caught the regional bus back home. I will go up either tomorrow (depends on this winter storm) or thursday with the truck and trailer and bring her home. I had to laugh, my little adventure today made me think of that movie with Steve Martin & John Candy Planes, trains & automobiles smile.gif

Chuck
Sorry to hear that.

Just don't put your hand between the two pillows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.