Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is really sobering.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rick 918-S
We all did stupid stuff when we were kids. The point of my story was to point out the fact that there is a way to be pro active in your kids learning curve. Just paying for your child to attend the drivers ed class through your local high school is not enough. I think all kids should have to take defensive driving classes every 6 months until their 18.

I assisted with the BMW Teen Driving Clinic. This is not High School drivers ed. These kids were put through several panic and quick responce courses. The begining of the day kids were dragging cones under their cars, failing to stop, turn in and completely missing instructions. These were lic. drivers on our streets and highways. By the end of the day there was a very impressive change!

Any kid with a ticket is seriously not mature enough or aware enough to have a license. One ticket is a serious red flag. But 4? WTF.gif

Maybe I'm a strict parent, but my kids were fully aware that if they got a ticket they were done driving. Now I'm not saying they never sped or jumped on the throttle and shifted up through the gears. But I'm sure my rules stopped them from pushing the envelope more times than not. It's ok to say no to your kids.
jd74914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 3 2008, 12:11 AM) *

Any kid with a ticket is seriously not mature enough or aware enough to have a license. One ticket is a serious red flag. But 4? WTF.gif

Maybe I'm a strict parent, but my kids were fully aware that if they got a ticket they were done driving. Now I'm not saying they never sped or jumped on the throttle and shifted up through the gears. But I'm sure my rules stopped them from pushing the envelope more times than not. It's ok to say no to your kids.

I'm 19, and my parents have the same philosophy as Rick. One ticket and my brothers or I am done. No more driving for a long time. I don't think that I ever needed that motivation to drive correctly, but for some (like my slightly younger brother) saying one strike and you're out seems to work very well.

I also agree with what Scott said in one of his posts. My Dad is a car guy; he likes fast cars and loves working on them. The rule here is that I can get any kind of car I want, and modify it however I want, as long as I build it from the ground up. While he would be opposed to me going out and buying a 911, he doesn't care if I buy a seriously neglected one and restore it. I know that I personally am a lot more careful with cars that I have expended blood on.

The whole situation really sucks for those kids and parents, and I do think that it was his parent's fault (in addition to his own). They should have never let him drive the car in the first place and he should never have brought those guys with him. Its all very sad sad.gif
Dr. Roger
This really is a call to arms to support our members with kids and friends with kids.
To suggest options to educate, and direct these young people towards learing safety and responsibility behind the wheel.
This story is very enlightening. Thanks Rick for sharing your personal experience.

That said, who here hasn't ever gone way too fast down some remote road or airport?

Anyone? popcorn[1].gif poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.