Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/4 Headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WizPorsche914
Does anyone make a header for a 914 4 cylinder ? Im finding them for the 6 but not the 4. Im trying to eliminate heat in the car.
SGB
Tangerine Racing should be able to fix you up...
Rand
Several companies make them.

What's your budget? THE best are Tangerine.

If that's too spendy, you can often find a good deal on Eurorace or Hunter headers.

Also check out Triad.
WizPorsche914
Headers will 100% eliminate cabin heat right ?
SGB
The Tangerine system will. Triad is a one man show like Tangerine, but I think he only makes mufflers (I've got one and it is great!). Tangerine is stub pipes off the heads and crossover arrangemant to a custom muffler. Very nice and very efficient I am sure.
WizPorsche914
Ouch these prices are way out of my budget. I will tell you what im trying to acomplish here. I read that when stock heat exchangers rust it is possible to emit oders into the cabin including possibly carbon monoxide, this scares me and id like to eliminate my worry. Would a set of stainless exchangers that wouldnt rust solve this ?
jd74914
Yep. Get some stainless heat exchangers and forget about CO poisoning. smile.gif
SGB
Stainless HEs ain't cheap either. The existing pipes would have to be awfully rusted to make it leak into the cabin air side. Maybe an exaust place can use a CO meter to test for leaks. The whole heat system just SMELLS, you know. Oil dripping from wherever seems to find its way into the heat exhanger part, that gets all heated up and cooked with whatever else might be in there. Have you tried just cleaning the ducting to the heater flapper valve bodies from the exchanger? All you need to get 'em out is eye gogles and a stubby flat head screwdriver.
WizPorsche914
I havent tried cleaning anything yet. I just read this last night about rusted exchangers and CO and got worried b/c my exchangers are original. However I dont really see and rust on them but the car does leak oil down onto them and them tend to smoke.
banger
If you dont want heat, why not just cap the tubes coming into the car?

jd74914
Wiz, The inner HE tubes are a low grade of stainless. That means that while they rust they do so very slowly and won't pose a CO hazard to you. They are designed to rust from the outside jacket first (that is just a mild steel) as to avoid CO poisoning. The only problem comes in when they totally rust out and you don't get any heat. smile.gif
Rand
QUOTE(SGB @ Jan 31 2008, 07:29 PM) *

...Triad is a one man show like Tangerine, but I think he only makes mufflers...

Not that it matters now that we see what Wiz is up to, but just in case anyone is curious about Triad headers.... They do make complete exhaust systems, including 4cyl headers with stub pipes. Their web site.
IPB Image

Hey Wiz, if your goal is to simply disable the heat and you aren't trying to upgrade to a performance exhaust, it's really simple to do what Banger said.
VaccaRabite
There are also Kerry Hunter headers, and the Euro Race Header (which I have).

Zach
mudfoot76
QUOTE(SGB @ Jan 31 2008, 11:10 PM) *

Maybe an exaust place can use a CO meter to test for leaks.

Try your local Fire Department. That's what I did. Just drove up in my teener and asked if one of the guys could grab a CO detector and explained why I wanted this. They were more than happy to help - one of them is a 356 guy!

After I got my SSIs installed (my OEM HEs had a small leak somewhere) I went back to the FD for another test and everything was perfect...
stateofidleness
is it $695 for the triad 914/4 header?? same price as the /6? seems like it would be cheaper..

how much do the kerry hunter headers and euro race headers go for?

im looking to do the same thing and want to eliminate the heating system and maybe gain some minimal hp with a header setup

if i dont have the flapper boxes on my car, but i still have the control lever and two cables sticking out in the engine compartment, is it dumb to pull them out?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Kerry is out of the header business. MSDS took his and improved upon it It is really fabulous. $548.00. You listening Marty?
ericread
When I picked up my 914 about a year ago, the PO had removed most of the heat ducting from the front of the engine box. The exchangers are pretty rusted and rattle some at low engine speeds. Additionally, my oil leaks do end up on the exchangers and smoke some.

Since I live in SoCal, I really don't need the heating capabilities (if I get cold, I'll add seat heaters). Now to the question...

Should I have a welding shop tack the exchanger metal to the exhaust pipes at the front and back to eliminate the rattle? Or should I use a can opener and remove the heat exchanger metal from the exhaust pipes? If I do remove the exchanger metal, will the oil drips now fall on my hotter exhaust pipes and create a more significant fire danger?????

My thanks!
TeenerTim
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jan 31 2008, 09:51 PM) *

Does anyone make a header for a 914 4 cylinder ? Im finding them for the 6 but not the 4. Im trying to eliminate heat in the car.

Try this recent thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79599. It should have turned up using the "Search" function. (hint)
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 1 2008, 09:49 AM) *

Should I have a welding shop tack the exchanger metal to the exhaust pipes at the front and back to eliminate the rattle? Or should I use a can opener and remove the heat exchanger metal from the exhaust pipes? If I do remove the exchanger metal, will the oil drips now fall on my hotter exhaust pipes and create a more significant fire danger?????

Unless you park over dries grass or leaves, I would not worry about the fire danger.

but if the heat exchangers are rusted off, you should probably replace them, instead of just cutting off the outer shell.

And please don't use a can opener. sawzall-smiley.gif

Zach
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Feb 1 2008, 05:37 AM) *

is it $695 for the triad 914/4 header?? same price as the /6? seems like it would be cheaper..

how much do the kerry hunter headers and euro race headers go for?

im looking to do the same thing and want to eliminate the heating system and maybe gain some minimal hp with a header setup

if i dont have the flapper boxes on my car, but i still have the control lever and two cables sticking out in the engine compartment, is it dumb to pull them out?

695? Didn't know they were that expensive. You should call Dave and see what price he gives you. He is a great guy to talk to and you will LOVE his products.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 1 2008, 06:39 AM) *

Kerry is out of the header business. MSDS took his and improved upon it It is really fabulous. $548.00. You listening Marty?

Sure I'm listening George, but I've been under a certain car stuffing 2 of these under it ! You have been selling the 2.0 headers at a decent pace...I hope to keep up with your demand. BTW, if anyone needs a set...these are exclusively available from Auto Atlanta.
Marty
jimkelly
to eliminate heat in the car - simply remove the bits that flow the hot air from the heat exchangers to the longs - jim

http://autoatlanta.com/model/914catalog/914fuel4.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.