Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color Opinions Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdinse
huh.gif

Due to failing paint(about 12 years now), I am about to repaint my 74 914 2.0 which is currently Cobalt Blue. In the not too distant future I will be selling this car, so I want to accommodate the prospective buyer as much as I can. The previous owner had painted it this color over the original Saturn Yellow. There is always a bit of the original color showing here and there. Change of color jobs that are successful really require a lot of disassembly and the PO clearly didn't go that route.

My options are:

1. Return it to the original Saturn Yellow. This is not MY favorite color, but someone else must like it. Just how popular is this color?

2. Just paint it the most popular color and try to get most of the not-so-hidden areas covered. I really don't want to pull out the engine/trans and interior, but will most likely pull the front and rear glass so the seals can be renewed. This will allow painting of the most visible place that shows the change of color from original - looking through the rear glass bottom where it still shows the original paint. smile.gif

BTW, what do you think the most sought after color IS for a 914? icon14.gif

3. Spend a LOT of money and time pulling it apart for a proper change of color paint job. Obviously, this is my least desireable option.

TIA,
Steve
Joe Bob
Most prefer the original color.....Saturn Yellow is nice. That's the color I am doing on Blondie....
Ferg
Original color for sure...
Yellow and red sports cars are usually a "easy" sale.
On any classic, originality adds value no matter what color.
How about a preview of what's gonna be for sale in the future wink.gif
My 2cents
AZ914
I agree, if the car still shows Saturn Yellow in the trunks and jams, paint it yellow. Yellow is a popular color for the 914 and most seem to like it.
boxsterfan
I keep hearing on this BBS and others that yellow is faster too. My Adriatic Blue may have something to say about that in about 6-8 months. wink.gif
Bleyseng
agree.gif

Seems like the silver is the most sought after color, although I can't understand why. Most silver cars have had a repaint as the color didn't hold up too well either.
All the bright 70's colors are an easy sell as they are retro and atractive.
Its a 74 2.0 hhmm, I would paint it white with green trim.

Geoff
sdinse
Well . . . OK then, the preview would be a Saturn Yellow 74 914 2.0 - pretty much original SoCal car. Still has the FI, which works quite well after replacing the manifold pressure sensor(failed about a year ago). Also has the 5 speed and appearance package(center console, gauges, etc.), original Fuchs alloys and just put new Kenwood 5X7 2 ways in the original kickpanel speaker housings. The engine was rebuilt about 8000 miles ago, so clutch is still fairly fresh(renewed at the same time), brakes were done about 3500 miles ago. I am the third owner, the second owner was a friend of mine so I already knew the car. He was amazed when I was able to refurbish the heating system control switch to actually get the thing to put out heat. He had NO idea how to fix anything, so he had mostly cold rides during the winter months.

I'll have to see how the paint turns out before I can put a value on it. idea.gif

Thanks for the input,
Steve
fiid
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 9 2004, 01:47 PM)
I keep hearing on this BBS and others that yellow is faster too. My Adriatic Blue may have something to say about that in about 6-8 months. wink.gif

Yellow is very fast. The only color faster than yellow is orange.
boldblue.gif
boxsterfan
I wonder why yellow is faster? It must be the different kinds of gooberdinkies used in the paint. Maybe I'll ask the paint shop to put those gooberdinkies in my blue. calvin.gif
GWN7
Two of my cars are colour change cars......Both are going back to the original colours.

Sunflower yellow currently white and blue metalic currently yellow. The PO's thought they would look better. barf.gif

The same reasons you mentioned before. You can always see the old colour somewhere on the body.

Paint them the original colour unless your going to do a compleate strip & paint job. If you have a car and aren't happy with the colour, sell it and buy what you wanted.
($0.02 worth)
kafermeister
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 9 2004, 08:15 PM)
I wonder why yellow is faster?

Yellow is faster because many more light beams get reflected off of a bright car than with a darker car. The darker paints hold more energy because the light doesn't get reflected back. Thus the extra weight from the retained light energy slows the car down. The only faster color would be white.

BTW, I've got this bridge for sale that I'm not using. Anyone interested in buying it?

laugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif cool.gif
Rick
'76 2.0 white
'75 1.8 not white (slower car)
Rgreen914
Uhhh...what color is the bridge and how will you ship it?
boxsterfan
I've got it now! I'll paint my car blue as planned but make everyone were yellow tinted glasses (or will that make my car appear green.

Me make mean 3.2L...........

calvin.gif hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
kafermeister
QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ Jan 9 2004, 08:42 PM)
Uhhh...what color is the bridge and how will you ship it?

Uhmmm. That depends. What color do you want it to be? happy11.gif

I'm sure USPS would have no problem shipping it. I take Paypal. laugh.gif
Gint
Original color for sure...
Yellow and red sports cars are usually a "easy" sale.
On any classic, originality adds value no matter what color.
How about a preview of what's gonna be for sale in the future  

My thoughts couldn't have been said much better than this.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

BTW - Welcome to the board! MDB2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.