Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking Transmission Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
Ok guys - Anuder Dupid Kwestyawn confused24.gif

How do you check the transmission oil? I cant seem to find a dip stick ~
Brad Roberts
No dumb questions... Feel free to ask anything you like.

Pull the fill plug on the side of the tranny and stick your finger in it. The fluid should just be at the bottom of the fill plug hole.

Note that the tranny has 2 plugs. One is higher than the other (fill plug) and the other is the drain plug.

B
ne14914
Thanks Brad

This is my first 914 and Im trying to learn as much as I can.
Brad Roberts
You came to the right place. Lots and lots of very knowledgeable people on this BBS.

Dont sit back and watch the board. Always ask your questions. I can almost promise a response 24/7 within 30 minutes of your post.

B
Dave_Darling
Sears or your local VW Bug shop should have the 17mm Allen socket you use to remove the fill plug.

Some have used a combination of nuts and bolts as a socket, but several people have messed up their drain or fill plugs using those. The real thing is pretty cheap...

--DD
airsix
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 19 2003, 09:01 PM)
Sears or your local VW Bug shop should have the 17mm Allen socket you use to remove the fill plug.

Some have used a combination of nuts and bolts as a socket, but several people have messed up their drain or fill plugs using those.  The real thing is pretty cheap...

--DD

I walked into a FLAPS and said to the clerk "I need a 17mm allen wrench." He replied "We don't have any that big." So I said "Do you have a VW drain plug tool?" and he said "Sure, they're right here." And he handed me a 17mm allen wrench.
-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
Normally its a cheap "chrome vanadium" 3/8 drive 17mm socket. I buy two at a time.

B
ChrisReale
and if you decide to drain the fluid, remove the filler plug before you remove the drain plug. Learned that a few days ago.
Brad Roberts
And... why do you remove the fill plug ??

B
ChrisReale
so it acts like the carb on a bong! Try pouring a jug of water out into the sink. Observe the results. Then do the same, but cut a hole in the top. Much smooooother.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 19 2003, 09:50 PM)
And... why do you remove the fill plug ??

so it rinses out easier.

ever made a hole in a beer can at the bottom and then opened the top? rolleyes.gif

Andy
ChrisReale
Never tried it, but Ive seen it done numerous times. Maybe Ill give it a try.... beer3.gif driving.gif
Brad Roberts
Yes and yes...

newsflash... There is a BIG breather hole at the top of the tranny. If it is plugged.... your tranny will ooze fluid anywhere it can.

I knew why you pulled it.... smart asses... finger.gif

B
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Mar 19 2003, 09:57 PM)
Never tried it, but Ive seen it done numerous times. Maybe Ill give it a try.... beer3.gif driving.gif

You never shot-gunned a beer? Man, do I feel old.
Atleast you recognize old school hip hop. Makes me feel young again cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 19 2003, 09:59 PM)
I knew why you pulled it.... smart asses... finger.gif

hehe, works every time finger.gif
Curvie Roadlover
The topic of why you open the fill plug came up about a week ago. I thought it was here, but maybe it was on the PP BBS. If you open the drain plug and fluid starts pouring out, then are unable to get the fill plug out, you will have a bitch of a time refilling and the car might be out of commission in the meantime. If you realize that the fill plug is stuck first, you can still drive the car (since you haven't lost your tranny fluid) until you resolve the stuck plug. I remember some people posted what a pain in the ass it was to try to fill the tranny from the breather hole. Just something to think about. driving.gif
tahoward
So glad to hear that happened to someone besides me...maybe I'm not cursed!! confused24.gif
JWest
Here's the other discussion...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....20&pagenumber=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.