Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For those of you who really want to fly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I'm flying behind it's little brother, the type I. Converted for aircraft use. THe type IVs are nice but a lot heavier then the type Is. Here's my type powered toy......
airsix
Neither your bird or the ebay plans appear to be geared. You're direct driving your prop? I don't know much at all about automotive conversions, but my first question would be power. You're going to spin the prop at about 3,500rpm max, right? At 3.5k the motor would last forever, but there's not much power to be made down there. I'd like to hear more about this. Cool stuff.

-Ben M.
East coaster
Your right, it's direct drive. I'm maxing out at 3200 rpm. The motor is bored/stroked to 2180cc and is supposed to kick out 70 - 80hp @3200. It's never been dyno'd but the plane's performance seems to be spot on for these hp #'s. This is the only aircraft of it's type (Rans S6) that's flying with this engine. I had to create a motor mount, cowling, and all engine systems (intake/exhaust/etc..)

It's a blast to fly and only burns about 4 gals/hour. It's kinda funny building an engine that needs to develop all it's power at 3k, most of the hp tricks we all know and love are useless down that low.
nebreitling
WOW! that's incredible to me. looks like a blast! (although i don't think i would trust my life to engine i have in my 914....)
East coaster
birds eye view........

2400 rpm @90mph puttin' down the beach
Aaron Cox
are thos VDO gauges??? LOL, must be a late model (no silver center gauges!) wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jan 9 2004, 02:03 PM)
I'm flying behind it's little brother, the Type I. Converted for aircraft use. THe type IV's are nice but a lot heavier then the type I's. Here's my type powered toy......

Fuckin' SWEET! smilie_wirdgut.gif

I REALLY want to get my Private Pilots license...just need a job first mad.gif I have a friend who's CFI and gave me a lesson and it was a BLAST! I took off, flew and brought the plane in to the runway (due to heavy winds I opted to let him land). He said I learned very quickly for a beginner and I should continue...oh, I can't wait!

So, about how much does it cost to built a plane like your's? Would my experience building a radio controlled Q-Tee (absolute beginner kit...cut the balsa wood, epoxy, dope the whole aircraft, etc.) and working in the confines of the VW air-cooled dash and 914 engine compartment help laugh.gif
cnavarro
I have a customer with a 140hp @ 3500 rpm type 4 direct drive with a Kr-2...has LN engineering secret torquemeister cam- like 200 ft/lb of torque below 3k... :-) With nickies, you can make a big type 4 weigh in around the weight of a similar cast iron cylindered type 1.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
steve@ottosvenice.com
T-1
Rgreen914
cnavarro

How big is this customer's Type IV that makes 200 ft-lbs of torque and is it normally aspirated?
Jake Raby
I can get 200 lb/ft and keep it a daily driver- been there- done that!

I have built engines that made 140 BHP below 3500, but its not easy. Above that and according to prop size- they can explode.
East coaster
What the hell is that???? Looks like water cooled heads/aircooled cylinders and turbo charged. Is this what Limbach is up to these days?

Mine is dual ignition (one magneto, one electronic) with an Ellison throttle body injector. I've had wood over those nikasil cylinders ever since someone posted a picture of them on this site. I was looking all over for someone who made an aluminum cylinder sleeve for a type I when I was building the plane/engine. All I could find was Autocraft and it was only suitable for alcohol use. When/if I rebuild the engine I think it'll get nikkies.

The motor has been very reliable for aircraft use. So far, the only problem I've had is the exhaust valves having a short life (150 to 200 hours). I've never had a failure of any sort, but they are begining to erode at that point.

The plane took 10 months to build from start to first flight. That's working every weekend, every night after work, all my vacation. Not to mention 10,000 cups of coffee and 150 pizzas! I actually kinda built it twice, I cut and fit every piece and then disassembled it and had every aluminum piece on the plane color anodized for orrosion protection and then re-assembled it. It's paid off, it's been flying for 10 years and still looks perfect and it gets hangared 100ft from the ocean.
redshift
I was thinking about a rotax drop-in.

smile.gif

M
Gary
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 9 2004, 07:08 PM)
I can get 200 lb/ft and keep it a daily driver- been there- done that!

I have built engines that made 140 BHP below 3500, but its not easy. Above that and according to prop size- they can explode.

You can get a reduction drive to allow higher motor rpms:

Great Plains reduction drive

In my retirement, I want to build a kitplane. Type IV motor with Nickies would be way cool. Hopefully Charles will still be around 10-15 years from now.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Just received this email...
Boeing's "Take Your Kid to Work" Day.
redshift
hahaha it's my bad grandkid!

M
bernbomb914
That is funny lol3.gif LMAO

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.