Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Shoot Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DanT
MarinaCA airport

we are inviting all 914 pilots to come out and AX their car at one of the premiere AX sites in Norcal. You don't need to be a regular AXer. Just come on out and see what your little car can do.

these are Zone 7 AX dates and we are going to be running within the scheduled AXs.

we are planning on sending out invitations to some of the fastest 914s in the western US. Including Tom Provasi, Steve Nieslony and others.

some of the possible things will be, lunch provided both days, T-shirts, hats, etc.
We will have a hotel with rooms available for folks coming in from more distant locals.

this is a chance for all of you to stop talking and start driving your cars...

no more excuses huh.gif

more details to follow as plans come together.

Put these days on your schedule

and yes, you will be able to drive your car at this event no matter what kind of motor it has in it. biggrin.gif

I would suggest everyone that is planning on attending go to the GGR classification site and class their car according to our points system. That way everyone will also have a PAX index number for the weekend. PAX is used to have differently prepared cars compete effectively via a multiplication factor applied to your best time. biggrin.gif
http://comp.pca-ggr.org/rulcomm_cs/web/index.php

By the time we have the Shootout, GGR should also have our new timing system up and running. Similar to what SCCA uses with bar code scanners etc. smilie_pokal.gif

PeeGreen 914
So how far is this from Seattle?
DanT
about 900 miles from what I can find on google maps.

PeeGreen 914
idea.gif
DanT
this is exactly why we are planning a 2 day event, to make it worthwhile for folks to come from more extreme distances.

On both days you will be getting at least 8 runs plus fun runs and on Sunday there is a very good possibility of getting 12 or more runs.

we are hoping to get at least 20 or more 914s to attend....the more the better.

PeeGreen 914
I am going to look into it. Don't know how likely it will be but I would like to give it a try. I have a baby girl due on July 9th, but maybe my wife will let me take a little break biggrin.gif
Twise
Hmmm - This sounds fun - If you are planning on coming down from WA I will consider it as well. Marina Airport you say? How bout an address for mapquesting???
PeeGreen 914
That would be cool. Then we can see how close are cars are.... in looks.
DanT
the cross streets of the area we use is at Reservation Rd and Imijin Rd. Marina California

If you go to google earth and put in Marina CA you can find it.

hydroliftin
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 10 2008, 10:40 PM) *

MarinaCA airport

these are Zone 7 AX dates and we are going to be running within the scheduled AXs.

and yes, you will be able to drive your car at this event no matter what kind of motor it has in it. biggrin.gif

It's been a while since I did an Auto-X, and never before in a 914. What are Zone 7 rules? What type helmut? How much? Do I need to join, or just pay for the day?
Borderline
Dan: Isn't everyone participating supposed to be a PCA member?? Can we get around this for the weekend.

There will be a number of loaner helmets available.

To enter an AX it is usually around $30 - $35.
DanT
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Feb 11 2008, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 10 2008, 10:40 PM) *

MarinaCA airport

It's been a while since I did an Auto-X, and never before in a 914. What are Zone 7 rules? What type helmut? How much? Do I need to join, or just pay for the day?

any SA or M helmet with a Snell rating of 1995 (2000 recommended)or newer. We have some loaner helmets if you arrive early...prices for the AX will be $30 on Saturday and $35 on Sunday....since these are hosted by two different regions....GGR on Saturday and LPR on Sunday.
As long as you are driving a Porsche you will not need to be a PCA member.
The rules are pretty simple....your car needs to have properly operating brakes, tight front wheel bearings, battery properly held in place, all extra stuff removed from trunks and interior. Good throttle return spring and seat belts in good condition.
Come on out and give it a whirl. One day or both, it doesn't matter.
You are absolutely going to have a good time.
this whole event is about getting as many 914s together in one place as possible and then getting to drive them as fast as possible while having fun and not getting into trouble with the law....smile.gif
Demick
About a 50/50 chance I'll be in Hawaii at that time - but if not, I'm in for both days!
BMXerror
I'll try my ass off to be there. I need to go through the motor this year (as soon as I have the money) and install swaybars before my next AX. Is this a concrete thing right now, or is it still in the planning stages? Keep us posted, because I'm totally interested. Us So Cal guys need to go up there and represent! biggrin.gif
Mark D.
Twise
Never AX'd before - Ran GSXR750 at willow for 5 years - This sounds inviting I am as of right now planning on attending, both days. Maybe I will try to get in an AX with Sean down here first. Got to get my car done...
Rusty
Hey Dan... do you need a sponsor? Someone to cover coffee and donuts for the 914 group?

PM me.
DanT
this is really going to happen. we are just finishing up with some lose ends and such.

I think we have sponsorship handled at this point. But I do greatly appreciate your offer smilie_pokal.gif , and may still contact you at a latter date if things change..

If we can get the Socal group, the Norcal group and maybe a few from outer regions to participate, this could be a great competitive event for 914s.
I have had a couple of folks from WA and OR already state their interest as well. biggrin.gif
BMXerror
Are you going to set up your own course, or use the existing one that's marked out? (I found it on Google earth)
Mark D.
DanT
we will be setting up our on course....on Saturday it will be run in one direction and then on Sunday we will run it in reverse with only minor changes for flow or safety.

that area is used extensively for AX....every Sat and Sunday there is a different group running an AX...
Shelby club, SCCA subclubs, PCA, Corvette club and others.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 11 2008, 11:14 AM) *

Hey Dan... do you need a sponsor? Someone to cover coffee and donuts for the 914 group?

PM me.

It will be in California ....did you mean to say nonfat lattes and vegan scones? biggrin.gif

Cool to see all 914 sites supporting this event. Should be some great fun and excellent 914 AX competition. This one is on my calendar.
Chris Pincetich
FYI - Zone 7 PCA is a pretty easy group to race AX with. They almost always have loaner helmets, never ask for any kind of PCA membership or racin liscence, and I've seen all types of 914s race. In fact, the TTOD winner for almost every event is a crusty blue 914 chopped up, TIV, pulled by a crustier Ranchero! Lots of cool folks racing for fun and enjoying their cars, whether it is a SCCA national 996 GT2 or my 1.7 rust bucket. This year in Zone 7 GGR there could be as many as 10 very fast 914s showing up to every event! Dan and BillD are both running the events this year so the Shoot Out should one of the best 914 west coast events this year, hopefully all old friends will be reunited and JP Stein brings his car.... from Oregon beerchug.gif
geniusanthony
Count me in, I just gotta get home and finish some details. 900 miles, sounds like a solid 12 hours at 60...I say the NW crowd convoys... Eh fellas?
DanT
glad to hear that some folks from the north are considering coming down to our little get together.....should be lots of fun...
hydroliftin
Well I have a DOT 95 helmut, and should have a new engine by then Sounds like a plan to me.

DanT
hopefully that is a Snell 95 helmet confused24.gif ....I don't know any organization that uses DOT helmet ratings.

and the more the merrier. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Feb 11 2008, 06:52 PM) *

Count me in, I just gotta get home and finish some details. 900 miles, sounds like a solid 12 hours at 60...I say the NW crowd convoys... Eh fellas?

Good idea. Besides, it would be good to travel in a group.
geniusanthony
Would this be one of those "race" on Sunday, drive home tired as heck Monday occasions.

Re: traveling in a group- between the lot of us we could store a rollaway and spare car in the trunks, for er um , maintenance.
PeeGreen 914
I would be making it a family trip. So my wife would be following me in our 5-series. She would have our two kids in the back so I would need to plan stops every three hours or so. When we go up to Whistler we make one stop. I am sure we could plan something that would work well and make sure we have tools in such in case your car has a problem biggrin.gif .
BMXerror
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Feb 11 2008, 07:49 PM) *

Would this be one of those "race" on Sunday, drive home tired as heck Monday occasions.

Re: traveling in a group- between the lot of us we could store a rollaway and spare car in the trunks, for er um , maintenance.

No, it's one of those 'race on Saturday AND Sunday, and drag your ass home Sunday night to be at work Monday morning' ..inhale... occasions. At least for me.
How many from So Cal are planning to show? It would be cool to get a convoy of German noise heading up the 5 Fwy.
Mark D.
Andyrew
I'll consider doing this.. Although I will probably be representing 4 rings at the time (Audi a4..), but hey who knows I could be up to dusting off the 914, but I doubt it smile.gif.

geniusanthony
in case your car has a problem biggrin.gif

Jon hexed me, I may cancel...JK, can't wait to meet you all. Officially.
DanT
OK, this is going to happen.

all things are in order.

I would like to start to get a bit of a head count so I can start to decide on things to be ordered (yes, freebies) for the 914 contingent...
Lunches, shirts, hats or whatever we end up with.

I will edit the first post of this thread with head count....this is not in stone.
Just want to start to get an idea on who would like to be in attendance.

thanks for your interest. biggrin.gif
BMXerror
Count me in!
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
Like I said before. I am going to try to make this happen, but it will all depend on when my little girl is born.
DanT
OK, sports fans.

Initial registration will be open online at www.motorsportreg.com within the next 2 days. once we are up and running I will edit this post.

Please go to this site, register if you are a new user (it is free)
This registration is to give us some ideas of numbers so we can make appropriate arrangements. If your plan change you can cancel on the same site so we can keep track of everyone.
As the site says, more information will be coming as more arrangements are made and things come together.

We are not collecting money on the registration site. All fees will be collected the day of the events.
If you only drive Saturday or Sunday, you will only pay for that day.

Thanks for your support. biggrin.gif
Borderline
Daaaan. I just tried to register and got a message that registration has been suspended WTF.gif

Oooops, guess I was little early
DanT
reread the post before yours....I suspended it for 2 days to clear up a couple of details and then will be reopened.

sorry.... sad.gif
DanT
registration is now open

www.motorsportreg.com

Look for PCA Autocross, Marina CA

hope to see many of you there....

more details to follow as plans come together
ConeDodger
I am in... Just completed registration at www.motorsportreg.com

I will be staying at Comfort Inn in Marina. I arranged this through Yopu's travel site www.i-yoputravel.com Her site is usually for businesses to arrange travel but what the heck. It matches the lowest price available and helps out a 914Chick!!!
DanT
Great Rob, and now I just found that JP has signed up. So now all you Norcal hot shoes will have to run against the "shitbox" laugh.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 18 2008, 08:41 PM) *

Great Rob, and now I just found that JP has signed up. So now all you Norcal hot shoes will have to run against the "shitbox" laugh.gif

JP is a pretty cool guy... I look forward to seeing him again. Of course, we are going to send him back with a bikini wax and painted nails cause he ain't got nothin' biggrin.gif oh no... stand back JP can flat out trash talk!!!!
PeeGreen 914
His car has been doing very well... when Britain is driving biggrin.gif

Sorry if yI don;t know you well enough to say that JP sad.gif

Maybe if you came up to Bremerton wink.gif
cobra94563
Date is kind of far off, but I would try to go one day!
(Novice group)
dgw
This could be fun, but I need to get the car working consistently. Are you using GGR classes?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dgw @ Feb 20 2008, 08:25 PM) *

This could be fun, but I need to get the car working consistently. Are you using GGR classes?

I think I can answer that for Dan... Yes.
DanT
we will try to get everyone classed as close as possible so everyone has an even start.
you don't have to do this, but I think it will be nice for everyone to get an idea of how their car preparation stacks up.
Anyone that signs up for the shoot out should visit the GGR points site and get their car classed.
that way you can have some real bragging rights.

the GGR points site is here http://comp.pca-ggr.org/rulcomm_cs/web/index.php
Porcharu
I am going to be there - hopefully in a running car dry.gif
Otherwise I will be cheerleader, barf.gif
Racing916
Man...Only 2921.42 miles from my house, maybe next year
dw914er
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Feb 12 2008, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Feb 11 2008, 07:49 PM) *

No, it's one of those 'race on Saturday AND Sunday, and drag your ass home Sunday night to be at work Monday morning' ..inhale... occasions. At least for me.
How many from So Cal are planning to show? It would be cool to get a convoy of German noise heading up the 5 Fwy.
Mark D.

ill be in if i can get a few more so cal 914ers to go so we have a caravan (because it would be for, or if anything happens to the car)

talk to the different cal regions to see if they have any 914ers interested
DanT
come on up....that is one of the points of this two day event. Get more folks from further away to make the trip.

I will be worth the drive...........I promise. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.