Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans ratio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
Can some one tell me the difference between 4 cyl. ratios & 6 cyl. Basically are the gears raios closer on which one? Which has the lower ratio, ie lower max speed per gear.

Thanks
redshift
From memory...

/4: A, F, N, V, ZD

/6: A, GA, O, V, ZA.. I think..

The 6 has a GA mainshaft, 2,3 are higher, 5 is lower, obviously.

M
retrotech
So if you were running a 6, with 4 gear ratios, wouldn't that be good? Closer, lower, mid range gears with more torque, and a longer [higher rpm] 5th gear.
retrotech
Or did I get that just back wards?
redshift
Hey, found what I was looking for, and my memory works!

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm

Changing either car, to the other's transaxle (stock) would not be a huge change.

If you have MS Excel, you can d/l the ratios.xls, and play with speeds_in_gears.

I deleted all the rpm cols. except for 3500-4500 and redline.

M
campbellcj
What's good for you, gearing wise, largely depends on 3 variables:

1) What you mostly use the car for, i.e. autox, tt/race, or street
2) What flavor of six you have, i.e. a high-revving small displacement or a 3.8 torque monster
3) Your tire height/circumference. Short tires have an effect of shortening gearing, and vice versa.

For my purposes (track) the stock -4 gearing was off. It was fine for street driving but did not allow good use of the powerband in canyon carving or track events.

I recall that John Rogers found exactly the same thing, but we have slightly different gears in our new gearboxen...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.