Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peter from TX... 1970 914/6 Restoration & build th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
AgPete139
Howdy everyone! biggrin.gif

My name is Peter and I am new to the world of Porsche. A number of months ago, I was given permission to restore my fathers 1970 914/6 in all original condition, and have recently (last week) begun the restoration process. I am so excited to get my father's first car back in running condition. It has sat in the garage for the last 28 years, and age has taken its toll. Rust (battery and trunk lid seals, etc.), some dry rot, numerous dents and bangs, and seizure to name a few. headbang.gif

Now, on with the pics!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I am starting on the front end (steering, suspension, brakes) and I have come to a wall. Is there anyone in the Houston area (or willing to lend...I am honest) that will let me borrow a pin tool (4 grooved/pronged) for the lower strut?

Are there any other special tools that I will actually need when I rebuild the engine etc.? For instance, the front hub "required" a special tool resembling a mini crowbar, but a medium flathead and prying did the job just fine. Is this grooved socket worth the $65 to buy, and what are your thoughts on replacing it with a regular hex nut of the same thread and suspension washer for ease of removal for the future?

I have also done quite a bit of researching, and have acquired the original shop manuals for this unique beauty.

Any questions or pointers, I'd love to hear them! popcorn[1].gif

Pete
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(AgPete139 @ Feb 14 2008, 01:02 PM) *

Howdy everyone! biggrin.gif

Any questions or pointers, I'd love to hear them! popcorn[1].gif

Pete

You are so gonna be hearing "questions and pointers" laugh.gif
welcome.png

If you haven't done so already, add your 914s' VIN to the 914 info section found at the top right of the Forum pages.

Glad you've joined us and have a good time here and in your garage.

Paul
Gustl
welcome.png - from far, far away biggrin.gif

what's about this "DK" sticker on the rear bumper - does it mean that this car once was in Denmark idea.gif

I really love the Gasburners wub.gif

good luck for your project beerchug.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
JeffBowlsby
An original /6 sitting for 28 years? Silver? With Gasburners? An excellent package.

Wow...Thats a big project, but it will be great when its done. Plan the work and stick to the plan...

Ferg
welcome.png

Cool Project.

Get some real jack stands blink.gif

Look forward to the progress!

Ferg beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
Very cool!

And.... welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

That looks like it will be a wonderful project. And what a cool chance to bring a desirable 914-6 in silver back.

One word of advice: don't throw ANYTHING away that's not a rubber part. Even then, be careful.

Have fun!

pete
smontanaro
Welcome. Yes, you will need some special tools for the engine. The crowfoot wrench for the cam nuts (?) comes to mind. I'm sure there are others. Check out Wayne Dempsey's book on rebuilding 911 engines:

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Porsc...3722&sr=1-1

Skip
jd74914
Very nice project. I really like the silver/gasburner combination. smile.gif

Pleas get something else to hold up the car though. Cinder blocks and break without warning and it would suck if you hurt yourself or the car.
Chuck
welcome.png

That's a nice car. I look forward to watching it come back to roadworthiness.
burton73
Pete,

There are a lot of special tools that you will need when you rebuild the engine to do the cam timing and some other stuff.

The wheels that you have are very special and super light and worth a lot of money. I had them on a 6 -25 years ago and they are great. You have a nice car to restore. The fact that it was your dads makes it o so very special.

The guys here will help you get it back to like new conduction with your work and they’re answering any questions. Our 914 community is great. At 24 you have the power and focus to do this. Use the search function but ask questions and you will get answers.

Welcome.

Bob Burton .
welcome.png
jonferns
Awesome looking project. Hows the rust situation? Think you will be able to just clean up the rust, or is it bad enough that you will need to replace sections?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 14 2008, 01:17 PM) *

welcome.png

Get some real jack stands blink.gif

Make that the VERY NEXT thing that you buy. H/D, "pin-type", as opposed to the rachet design.

Paul
TINCAN914
I saw this with al the respect I can muster, YOU SUCK!!!
You don't want a 6 they weigh to much... I wil swap you my much light 4.. biggrin.gif
914Sixer
I will be happy to loan you a ball joint socket. I am up in Boerne north of San Antonio. I lived in Baytown before I came this way. There should be serveral people available to help you in Houston. You can call me at 830-755-4755.
degreeoff
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Feb 14 2008, 01:20 PM) *

Welcome. Yes, you will need some special tools for the engine. The crowfoot wrench for the cam nuts (?) comes to mind. I'm sure there are others. Check out Wayne Dempsey's book on rebuilding 911 engines:

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Porsc...3722&sr=1-1

Skip

agree.gif Feel free to ask anything. welcome.png
Eric_Shea
Awesome! smilie_pokal.gif

welcome.png

What an excellent garage find... keeping it in the family. Those are becoming big buck cars as you now know. The recent dollar valuation has sent a bunch of 914-6's overseas for big money, hence raising the value over $10k in the last 2-3 years.

This is a "very" special car so make sure you get all the right answers. You've come to the right place.

Let me know if I can help with the brakes.

E.
SirAndy

please, please, PLEASE don't get under the car while it's on cinder blocks !!!!!

they WILL crumble without warning and you'll be dead. or worse ... sad.gif

now, as for the car, like it was said above, don't throw away even a single bolt, nut or screw. bag everything and mark where it came from. before removal pictures stapled to the bag help wonders months down the road!

and be careful with those wheels, they fetch quite a nice price these days, if in good condition.

bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
AgPete139
Wow! I am so surprised at the responsiveness of this forum! Made me smile from ear to ear...thank you!

Her VIN is now registerd.

My father is Chinese who bought the car in NYC, and my mother is Danish (hence the DK). The sticker is on all of our vehicles in our house (914/6, mustang, taurus, civic, civic, altima, ranger)...

Thanks Jeff & Horizontally! Is the metallic silver really that rare of a paint code? I know the Webers are a treat...

Since there have been a couple comments on the jackstands, I will replace them as well. Thanks!

I wont throw anything away. Being a packrat in this case is not a bad thing and won't be that hard. Did you happen to notice the car before the garage's cleanup! Lol.

I've been looking for a good, credible engine rebuild book. Thank you very much!

My father commented on the wheels, and they are indeed very light. Weren't the Fuch wheels stock on this type though?

Rust issue: not bad at all. Of course, it has practically no battery tray, and trunk had a reasonable amount of moisture and corrosion. However, it can be easily repaired and sanded off. There is a small area (1" x 0.5") on the corner jam of the front boot where the weatherstripping is, and I will get a qualified welder to do it for me. No bondo. I am still starting out on a 115V baby, and do not want to tackle that.

TinCan....this is for you: bootyshake.gif smilie_pokal.gif Haha...just kidding.

Sixer, I have a friend that came form Borne. How often do you come back to Houston? I wouldn't mind seeing your sixer as well...

Eric, I just bought stainless steel brake lines (6 of em) for $80. Gonna overhaul the master cylinder. Do you currently have brake parts you need to sell?

SirAndy, I plan on doing the ziplock baggy habit. Pics will flood my camera's memory stick, and I plan on getting the wheels refinished. And "or worse." :-) I will change out the cinderblocks...

Y'all are awesome.

Pete
SirAndy
QUOTE(AgPete139 @ Feb 14 2008, 02:36 PM) *

My father commented on the wheels, and they are indeed very light. Weren't the Fuch wheels stock on this type though?

the Mahle "Gasburners" were an factory option for the early /6 cars ...

and i think they look great on a stock(ish) car!
shades.gif Andy
AgPete139
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2008, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(AgPete139 @ Feb 14 2008, 02:36 PM) *

the Mahle "Gasburners" were an factory option for the early /6 cars ...

and i think they look great on a stock(ish) car!
shades.gif Andy

Ah! *lightbulb clicks on* Ty.

Slider
welcome.png

Welcome

i have been here for a little less than a year and these guys are great there is more information on here than any restoration book. and if you need parts post in the forsale/wanted section these guys will take care of you. i jealous that its a 6 i think most of us go from a 4 and then graduate to a 6 but you are already starting with a 6..which is cool.

take a look at the restoration forum also it s led by Pat he is a fanatic... and there is some great info and pics there.

Again welcome and keep us up to date with pics of the process. you might want to start a blog on this site of the restoration.
markb
welcome.png

Great project! Take LOTS of pics, many of us live vicariously thru others, so we will be watching.
racerx9146
Congrats, great car.

I think its important to remember if you want the car to be worth top dollar you need to replace worn parts with as close to original as possible. customizing tends to lower value. Unless you want a custom 914.

good luck John
Eric_Shea
Eric, I just bought stainless steel brake lines (6 of em) for $80. Gonna overhaul the master cylinder. Do you currently have brake parts you need to sell?

I restore the brakes. If it's been sitting that long... it needs it. I'm swamped so I'm not trying to shuck for biz... I just like to see a real -6 done right. Here's a link to a few that we did:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=67599

type47
could you post the VIN here?

never mind, i searched the list...
LowGT
bye1.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 14 2008, 04:33 PM) *

could you post the VIN here?

never mind, i searched the list...

Jim,
Didja know that you can click on the members' name, which will get you the members' profile, then go to the bottom left portion of the page and click on the members' VIN, and then voila, you got it!

Paul

(sorry for the hijacked.gif )
roadster fan
Wow, seriously cool project. welcome.png

please DO NOT get under that car while it is up on cinder blocks!!!!!!!!

You are way ahead of the game because the car is complete aktion035.gif Looking forward to watching the progress.

Jim

SGB
That is SUCH a purty car. Silver 914s are just right.

If thats the original paint and there is not too much panel damage, consider getting a "painless dent removal" estimate. Once it has been painted, you can never go back...

It could polish up like a diamond, and still be true to all it has experienced.

smile.gif
jr91472
Welcome and good luck. Lots of TX Teeners here.

beer.gif
championgt1
welcome.png

Nice car! Good luck with the restoration.
TedK
What are those "bumper bars"? Never seen those before.
purple
welcome.png

Hey Man! What a nice car! I have also a silver metallic paint code(the car was repainted red though) chair.gif

I'm in houston and would be happy to help you out! I have a -4, so anything on the engine you'd have to look elsewhere, but the rest of the car I should be able to help you with.

Where in houston are you located? I'm on the west side by eldridge and briar forest (north of westpark, south of katy fwy, west of beltway)

I'll PM you my phone number, as i dont want forum bots leeching my numbers (modern precautions, you know?)

Those wheels look nice, like a nice extension of my mahles...

Yeah, i saw cinder blocks and i cringed too. advance auto parts has some thru-pin jackstands
stuttgart46
Looks like a great project.
Please visit our website www.valkyrieracingusa.com and let us know if we can be of any help. Weber carbs are Eric's specialty.
Best of luck.
Chad
krazykonrad
welcome.png
Keep asking any questions you can think of.
Konrad
SteveL
Peter,

What a great project.
Please document the hell out of that car before you start tearing it apart. Having been in the garage since 1980, it is a fantastic resource for originality.
Please take tons of pics for us to see. We LOVE pics here.
Oh, and from what I understand, those gas burner wheels are pretty rare and very expensive if you can find them.

Good Luck!
piratenanner.gif
Chris Pincetich
Sweet! beerchug.gif
Glad to hear the rust is not too bad. I never really feel that comfortable putting lots of torque on stuff when the car is up on 4 jacks and tend to just have one half lifted at a time- way more stable. I've had a jack stand tip, luckily I had a back-up to catch the car after it lowered an inch. Can't be too carefull there!
Check out some of the full rotisserie car holders, or home built wood "tables" with casters on them for rollin the shell around. If you can get new tires, brakes working, transaxle moving, and want to get on the road, you may consider swapping in a used, running small-bore six-cylinder engine while you rebuilt the matching number one. The rebuild will be slow and expensive, while used 2.0 and 2.2 sixes are not as desireable and can be had for <$3K.
Good luck beerchug.gif
tdgray
Welcome..

Ditto on the love the gas burners wub.gif

smontanaro
A couple more comments:
  • Regarding the Mahle wheels, I have them on my /6 as well. I'm told they are magnesium. Don't hit any curbs with 'em.
  • Regarding photos, take tons of pictures for your own needs. Also, get a few cheap marble composition books to take (lots of) notes in. And ziploc bags. They haven't been mentioned yet. Very handy for keeping little related bits together.

These cars tend to get very comfortable on jackstands. When you get around to putting everything back together, the documentation through pictures, notebook and baggie isolation will make it a lot easier to finish the project.

Skip
Al Meredith
Hi Peter, I have a 1970/6 #1937. I also have a set of these "overriders" for the front and rear bumpers. They were not on the six but came off another 914. I think they are aftermarket and made by ANCO? There is a pictute on this site of the origional ad for the product PS if anyone wants them let me know at ljgmere@aol.com
Slider
I hear that with even aluminum wheels the softer metal wheels will go out of round from sitting in one position too long so you might want to have them checked out. maybe someone else has more info..

burton73

Y'all are awesome.

Pete
[/quote]

Pete,

Just get a brand new master cylinder, as they are not that much in the overall part list. New (2 new Stainless Steel) fuel lines in the tunnel and change out all the fuel lines that are rubber. People will tell you that you can get away with just one line in the tunnel but the factory had 2 plastic lines and I am keeping with that idea with a new stock pump in the stock place but moving to SS. Lines. Tangerine Racing has the SS lines.

A fuel line fire can rune your day and car. Eric did my brakes as new.

Bob Burton
Joe Bob
Why does it take three Aggies to eat an Armadillo?

BTW. welcome to the madness....
AgPete139
One to do the eating, and 2 to watch for oncoming traffic! (Googled answer. LOL I haven't heard that one before...)

Hey, there are a lot worse things out there than being an Aggie. For instance, I could live in Southern California... j/k

Thanks 356 for the welcome! drunk.gif
lotus_65
Pete, welcome to the greatest forum on the net.

Many of us wish we where you!

paul
rick 918-S
welcome.png Please heed the others warning about the blocks! We want to see the car finished not the nominee for a Darwin Award. Luv the overriders! welcome.png assimilate.gif
AgPete139
Howdy everyone!

Time for an update. The front suspension is completely off, and am currently awaiting for the new ploy graphite bushings to come in. This Friday, some parts and I have a date with powdercoat/media blast at a buddy's shop. Gas tank is drained and isn't in bad condition at all. The brakes calipers will be rebuilt with time, and the brake lines have been replaced by SS ones. Motor and tranny are dropped, and the tranny was rebuilt this weekend at the Houston Transmission Clinic held at Red-Beard's place. Thank you so much Red-Beard for the help! beerchug.gif Got a bunch of advice on how to proceed with the engine, and have ordered the Porsche Engine "Bible" earlier this week. I've torn into quite a few Civic/Integra & Altima motors, mine & others' Ranger motors, and completely rebuilt a Ford 302 ci for a '69 'Stang; but I'm told a flat /6 is a totally different animal. I'm gonna do a lil bit more reading and research before I touch that. confused24.gif

Still gotta find an engine stand...

Oh, and I HAVE 6 TON JACK STANDS !!! She is securely set up, and the cinder blocks just take up room underneath them in the garage still. Thanks to everyone's concern and advice on steel supports. wub.gif

Anyways, on with the pics...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Gint
Damn where've I been?!? welcome.png

Label that junk as you remove it from the car. You'll forget where half of it goes a couple of years from now.

Good for you putting one back together. Your dad's car to boot. Killer. Those wheels are worth $500+ each all cleaned up.
Jeffs9146
Wow, that brings back memories!!!!

PS: Dump those jack stands NOW and get some with pins!! We have a club member here who had those kind of jacks who got his face crushed!!! Do not climb under those!!! I cant find the post but others here will speak up i'm sure!

welcome.png
1970 Neun vierzehn
Be liken' the pics, your making good progress. Trans is cleaning up great and the photo of the LF wheelwell seems to indicate a nice clean, solid, rust free structure. Of course, you need a new battery tray and support, but if your fortunate, the trailing arm supports and longs may be relatively rust free.

Keep the progress pics coming and we all applaud your good fortune and work.

Oh, and one last thing.....I know you just spent some $$$$ on jack stands,but as Jeff just said.....GET SOME PIN-TYPE JACKSTANDS, or perhaps screw-type models, 'cause I wouldn't trust the rachet type. (Sorry to be preachy, but in our shop no one gets UNDER a car with those type of jackstands. They are used primarily to support a car with the wheels off, if they need to get under a car w/o a lift, it's pin-type or screw-type.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.