Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For the V8 guys... cooling lines.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914pipe
Hi there:

There was a guy running hard pipes of 3/4" ID.... I use to have a link but doesn't work. Does anyone knows if that configuration ever worked...?

Would like to hear from that guy....

I have the opportunity to get 3/4 in ID SS braided hoses....

Thanks..!!!

Pics...?
wbergtho
I have heard of people using 3/4 id hoses...and I've heard of people using copper (don't like) but it seems a wee bit small. I use 1" and 1 1/4" Gates Green stripe hoses through the heater ducts in the longitudinals. No hoses hanging under the car waiting to be wiped out on a speed bump. It takes a bit of effort to snake the lines through and to fabricate cut outs through the forward longs and forward firewalls...but if done correctly, you'll have a clean install and two continuous hoses from the engine to the radiator. More importantly, you can route the hoses in such a way that there are absolutely no sharp 90 degree bends to disrupt flow. Call Rod Simpson. He believes in the small diameter method.

Bill
Andyrew
I believe that was Rick w/ the Alien..

I would go with what bill uses above.. or just 1", thats what rennegade recommends.. IIRC
914pipe
Thanks Bill.... any pics from your set up...??

Thanks
marks914
Desert hybrids uses 3/4 black (1 in od) pipe under the car. seems to work fine in arizona.

I have been running 1in copper/aluminum lines under my car for 40,000 miles and 6 years, no problem.
I don't understand why copper gets the bad rap. Solder melts at 450F, and the better radiators are made from copper because of copper's superior heat transfer.

I could see if you are worried about denting it running something over, but why don't ypu watch where you are going.
if you hit your floor pan on something, you probably will hit your engine bar too.

Mark
ajracer
nukepipe:

Not sure which hard line installation you previously saw, but here is a couple of photos of my installation from a
couple years ago. Thick wall aluminum tubing 1" ID; must say it took two guys eight hours with and large
commercial pipe bender to fabricate these up. Seem to work fine with no problems/concern (yet) with bottoming
out. Trust this helps.

Allan
ajracer
Another shot
914pipe
Thank you very much guys.... this really help!!!!

aktion035.gif
vespasoul
QUOTE(marks914 @ Feb 15 2008, 06:52 PM) *

Desert hybrids uses 3/4 black (1 in od) pipe under the car. seems to work fine in arizona.

I have been running 1in copper/aluminum lines under my car for 40,000 miles and 6 years, no problem.
I don't understand why copper gets the bad rap.

yeah and with copper you can install a toilet in the front trunk too

the question you should be asking yourself is:

am i running cooling lines in an auto???
or
running plumbing in a house???
jd74914
Water is water . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.