Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Leak....Rear main seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
I finished my rebuild about a month ago. I've driven my teener for only about 20 miles since. I have a small puddle of oil on the garage floor, which I believe is coming from the small window in between the engine and tranny. I drove it today for a couple of miles, parked it in the garage and it immediately began to drip oil from the above location. I checked my oil and it is about an eighth inch to a quarter inch above the full mark. I guess I over filled the oil. I replaced the rear main seal during my rebuild and can't imagine that this is the problem. It is definately oil and not gear oil. How hard would it be to remove just the tranny and not the engine. I don't think I can go through removing the engine again, but I will if I have too. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rod
redshift
It can be done, it is done, and you can find out how when someone comes along how already has done..

I just wanted to tell you it can be done, hope you feel better.

M
-they are going to say it takes less time to do the whole drop..-
Bleyseng
Is it engine oil or tranny fluid? Tranny fluid is thicker and smells alittle like eggs. Sometimes, hell most times, if you pull the motor you can disturb the pilot shaft seal. If its old and hard then voila! Oil leak!

Geoff
McMark
Just think of removing the engine as an investment. It only takes me about an hour and a half when I'm not busting ass. The more you do it, the easier it is.
thesey914
It's pretty easy to remove just the tranny and I've done to change the rear crank seal. Remove starter, un-do driveshafts, chock the rear of the engine so it doesn't hang on its mounts and whip out the gearbox -two gearbox mounts and the three remaining bolts on the engine (starter is one of the four). Don't forget the earth strap! (I always do)
You can lower the 'box on a car jack its not that heavy. Might be wise to get a clutch alignment tool.... I didn't have one and used a deep socket that fit. May as well get a new thrust bearing for the flywheel too while your in there.
Make sure to index your flywheel so it goes on the same position it came off for balance purposes.
-j
type47
while you're in there, check out the oil galley plugs.
415PB
Okay, so I was mistaken. The fluid on the floor is thicker than oil and smells nasty. So I am thinking this is gear oil. Can anyone tell me what on the tranny would cause this leak between the tranny and engine.

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(415PB @ Jan 12 2004, 11:43 AM)
Can anyone tell me what on the tranny would cause this leak between the tranny and engine.

main shaft seal on the tranny. (or the seal on the little pivot).

just replaced mine this weekend, had the same problem.
gear lube dripping out of the tranny.

you NEED to get this fixed ASAP cause it's also getting into the clutch
and if the clutch disks get soaked, they're toast!

Andy
seanery
speedo's drive can spew oil, too. Was the speedo working?
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 12 2004, 12:32 PM)
speedo's drive can spew oil, too. Was the speedo working?

he said:

"which I believe is coming from the small window in between the engine and tranny"

about a foot away from the speedo. wink.gif

Andy
Bleyseng
Like I said earlier, if you take the motor out chances are that pilot shaft seal if old, will then leak. Pull out the tranny like was said and install one quick. Its pretty easy although tricky to remove the old seal if you don't have a seal puller. Make sure to clean and check the shaft for scratches and burrs so the seal won't just leak again.

Might as well install new tranny fluid while you are at in.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 12 2004, 12:38 PM)
Its pretty easy although tricky to remove the old seal if you don't have a seal puller.

it's pretty easy without puller.
hit the seal on one side (i used a ratchet extension and a BFH).
the seal will start to move IN while the opposite side will move OUT.
once the seal is in an angle, you can pull it out with a screw-driver.

takes about a minute.
Andy
415PB
Andy, is this the main shaft seal we are talking about? I am having a hell of a time trying to get it out. My seal puller is too big. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rod
Matt Romanowski
Try using some picks to start prying it and get it going. You'll never get a traditional seal puller in there. Also, be careful not to score the pinion shaft. Use lots of lube when installing the new one and make sure the inside (part that is against the shaft) is laying flat.

Matt
SirAndy
QUOTE(415PB @ Jan 17 2004, 04:09 PM)
Any suggestions?

yupp, use something blunt, like a (small) wratchet extension and hammer away in one spot (very close to the shaft). the seal will move in on that side and tilt (the other side will come out), then grab it either with plyers or use a screwdriver to pry it out.

be carefult not to scratch the shaft or the surface of the hole.
Andy
415PB
Thanks, I got the seal off but it appears the PO might have used some type of sealant. It appeared to have been glued on. The portion of the seal that goes into the tranny was very brittle and some very small pieces fell into the tranny. Should I be concerned with this or should I try and fish the pieces out? I have been trying for like two hours with no luck.

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(415PB @ Jan 17 2004, 07:39 PM)
Thanks, I got the seal off but it appears the PO might have used some type of sealant. It appeared to have been glued on. The portion of the seal that goes into the tranny was very brittle and some very small pieces fell into the tranny. Should I be concerned with this or should I try and fish the pieces out? I have been trying for like two hours with no luck.

Thanks

were they rubber or part of the metal inside the seal?
the rubber probably won't do any harm, not sure about larger metal pieces.

if metal, try a magnet on a extension.
Andy
Brad Roberts
Make damn sure you check the pivot ball for the clutch fork. I'm to the point now that I check ALL of them when we have the tranny's out. I have been bitten too many times. I pull them out and load them up with some good sealant and screw them back in.

B
415PB
I'm pretty sure they were small pieces of rubber so I probably wont do much about it then. As for the pivot ball, I did notice that it is leaking. I will take it off and seal it up. Thanks for the help.....
415PB
Andy, does this metal ring have to come out as well, or is it part of the tranny.

Thanks,
Rod (Feeling stupid in Cali)
SirAndy
QUOTE(415PB @ Jan 24 2004, 12:32 PM)
Andy, does this metal ring have to come out as well, or is it part of the tranny.

hmmm, can't really tell from the pic, but the gap looks about right.
hold the new seal against it and see if it's a good fit.
the new seal should slide in with little force.

the seals do have a metal ring inside, look at your old seal and see
if it still has metal inside.

you should be good,
Andy
415PB
Andy, thanks for all the help. I got the seal in and tranny in. I used this motorcycle jack and it worked great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.