Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how large are you nuts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
hi all, i'm adjusting the valves

the pelican article says that the retaining nuts are 13mm -- mine are 14 (and tight as hell, i can't budge them)... is this common, or has a PO done some crazy stuff on me?
TheCabinetmaker
I keep the valves right on 6 different cars locally. The 1.7 have been 13 mm. the 2.0's are 14mm. All are 73 and later cars
nebreitling
great, thanks.

any tips on loosening them up, without stripping them? i just had a 14mm socket do a number on one of those nuts...

n
JeffBowlsby
Use a box wrench.

Also, be sure that the cylinder you are adjusting is at TDC, or the valves will be too tight to adjust.

Jeff
TheCabinetmaker
try a long 6 point box end wrench. I never use a socket. might be better to remove the rocker arms, and loosen the adjuster nuts on a bench.
nebreitling
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Jan 10 2004, 05:30 PM)
Also, be sure that the cylinder you are adjusting is at TDC, or the valves will be too tight to adjust.

maybe i'm a TDC #3 then; because there is NO gap that i can discern between the adjusting screw and the valve. the rockers are tight at #1!

BUT, the impeller marks (which i found and remarked -- there was confusion in a previous post of mine) show TDC.

i DID recently re-index the distributor drive shaft (long story) -- can that be 180 degrees off and still show TDC on the impeller?
TheCabinetmaker
Is there an indexing mark on the top of the dizzy body? it's a small notch. the rotor should be pointing to this area if your on #1 if your not 180 off. Regradless, the rotor should point towards the # 1 wire on the cap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.