Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to distinguish 2.0 from 1.8 engine by visual inspection?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
What is the easiest way to tell the differances between 2.0 and 1.8 when looking into the engine bay?

Are the airboxes different?

Any other visual clues?
Are the mufflers different?

Thank you,

Levon

smile.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Feb 19 2008, 09:09 PM) *

What is the easiest way to tell the differances between 2.0 and 1.8 when looking into the engine bay?

Are the airboxes different?

Any other visual clues?
Are the mufflers different?

Thank you,

Levon

smile.gif

A few quick items...
  • spark plugs holes are more straight up as opposed to 2.0 the plugs angle towards the firewalls
  • 3 bolts hold on the intake runners or carb manifolds to the heads while there are 4 bolts on 1.8s
  • Can't rely on the exhaust for a visual since 2.0 and 1.8 exhausts are interchangeable as long as you change the muffler and muffler support
McMark
  • 1.8 spark plugs holes are more straight up as opposed to 2.0 the plugs angle towards the firewalls
  • On a 2.0, 3 bolts hold on the intake runners or carb manifolds to the heads while there are 4 bolts on 1.8s

Edited above for clarity... cool.gif
alpha434
The big aluminum air flow sensor on the left side of the bay, with the air filter all the way on the left side is typically a dead give away that it's a 1.8

Also, the distributor. Should be a bosch 027 with vacuum advance, and no extra wires coming out for the firing the sequential injection.
Brando
Can't really rely on the distributor as most of these cars don't have the original one in it.

You can tell by the engine number if it is still there.

EA = 1.7
EC = 1.8
GA/GC = 2.0
alpha434
Well. a 1.8 can't run a 1.7 dizzy. Or a 2.0 dizzy. And a 1.7 and 2.0 can't run a 1.8 dizzy.

Stock or not, they have to have the extra rotor for the d-jet' sequential injection.

Unless it's carbed- then we've got a whole 'nother cluster-fuch.
John
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 20 2008, 08:11 PM) *

Well. a 1.8 can't run a 1.7 dizzy. Or a 2.0 dizzy. And a 1.7 and 2.0 can't run a 1.8 dizzy.

Stock or not, they have to have the extra rotor for the d-jet' sequential injection.

Extra rotor?

Never saw one.

I have seen trigger points if that's what you refer to.

On stock engines, there are also differences in the oil filler neck.
JRust
Also the FI brain is smaller on the 1.8 than the 2.0 .
jesiv
Engine number location 2.0 up near the oil filler on 1.8 back of the engine and or course once you know what l-jet look like you can always tell. I didn't know either... That's how I ended up with a 1.8 instead of a 2.0. Duh...

If you can't tell find someone who can.

James
Cevan
QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 20 2008, 10:05 PM) *

Can't really rely on the distributor as most of these cars don't have the original one in it.

Ahhhh, my old '74 had a 027, my current '75 has a 027, and two 1.8 motors that I have have 027s. I'm 4 for 4.
orthobiz
easiest way: if it has original FI::::::
the air cleaner box on the 2.0 has the intake spout
PARALLEL to the rear line of the trunk

the 1.8 is off on an angle

many, many times you see just a little bit of this in a picture of the engine compartment and you can ALWAYS tell

Another easy way: if it's an advertisement and it DOESN'T say "2.0"
you're just about guaranteed it's a 1.8!!!

Paul
jesiv
Had this issue Sunday. Ad was for 1975 2.0 running engine and trans without FI for $250. Yes I was there at day break. Immediately looked for engine number by the Oil filler no number. Looked to the rear and there it was... 1.8 engine number. Owner response was will the PO said it was a 2.0 and all I know are bug engines.

So if it sounds too good to be true it usually is... Engine number is really the only way to know a 2.0
Cap'n Krusty

There's NO earthly reason why a 1.7 or 2.0 distributor can't be used in a 1.8.. you're right though, you can't run D-jet with a 1.8 distributor. The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 3 2008, 07:41 PM) *

There's NO earthly reason why a 1.7 or 2.0 distributor can't be used in a 1.8.. you're right though, you can't run D-jet with a 1.8 distributor. The Cap'n

And D-Jet is NOT sequential injection. Sequential means that it fires the injector in time with the valve opening. D-Jet fires the injector in pairs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.