Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Whoops... Need a differntial solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alpha434
Coming out of the gas station. didn't even get on the gas, and tore 3 teeth off the ring gear.

Those new heads are making too much power.

So the question is what to replace it with?

I've heard that Datsun turbo differentials are pretty brutish. but I don't know.

The biggest problem is that the rear end is independent, so I can't just go get a big mustang part or something.

About 600 horses now. What to do, what to do?

I know I'm in real trouble, and this is how you tell. . . I'm broken down a block from my house, and I can't stop smiling. It's like it's christmas. This car could eat every penny I make and I'd smile and offer it more. It's like I'm dating Jennifer Aniston.
jd74914
I have also heard that Datsun diffs are strong. I have a friend putting one in his Locost for that reason.

Are you sure that the diff in it was timed correctly? It seems rather odd that the car ripped teeth off with such "little" applied load. Maybe a new TR6 diff would do it for you. The TR-8 diff would probably fit (they have a TR-6 drivetrain stock, right?) and should be stronger too. I have never looked at one though.

Good luck.
alpha434
TR7 stock.

I don't know about the tr8s. The biggest problem there is cost and availability.

I also heard that Datsun turbo models came with LSD. That would be helpful.

The only problem is that with 600 hp, there's no such thing as little applied load. I get on the gas too early turning, and I'll spin out. And that's on the street.

PeeGreen 914
Sounds like the car really just needs more power biggrin.gif

Okay.. I know I'm no help, but what's new wink.gif
messix
280z turbo diff should be strong enough. if not get a corvette diff. it's a dana 44 plenty strong for 600hp
rick 918-S
Ford 9" you can get any width housing, axles, brake options, ratios, etc. The only way to go with 600hp. A Datsin ain't a gunna cut it.
TravisNeff
Nissan R200 or R220 Diff, a Z turbo should also be a good choice
SirAndy
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 20 2008, 09:32 PM) *

It's like I'm dating Jennifer Aniston.

barf.gif
r_towle
BMW 6 series is independent.
Look around for a 7 series also...the v12 rear end should be able to handle it.

Rich
ConeDodger
Only some of the R200 diffs on the Datsuns came with LSD. I think it was an anniversary edition. I have one in my 240Z... Pretty freakin' rare. I would not expect one to be waiting at the pickandpull. Check ZCar.Com and other Z sites.
alpha434
There are 5 of them up on ebay.

Wouldn't say too rare... Lol.

All the 300zx models had them for all years, and they were an option for the rest.
Ferg
What about a late model Tbird or Lincoln Mark both independent and cheap, and at the pick and pull.

Ferg
championgt1
I am really of no help on this subject but I would love to see a picture of your TVR.

Good luck!
alpha434
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Feb 21 2008, 11:41 PM) *

I am really of no help on this subject but I would love to see a picture of your TVR.

Good luck!

IPB Image

Old photo. There's some some fresh paint on it. And beauty rings.
purple
It goes to show I'm of the new video game generation (i'm from 1981) and I hear TVR and I think Project Gotham Racing 3 and the TVR Sagaris, my fav car of its class wub.gif

sorry about your diff though. The charger(E-class) is an IRS maybe you could use one of those? I dunno, i'm no help

that sagaris is hot secks though
Yours looks kinda like my dads old tr4. nice biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
You can get the R200 from a skyline, Infiniti M30, S13, 300ZX. popular amongst the ricers/drift guys. You can get a new LSD for one for around $700.

Here is a swap article for a 240Z, it outlines the different diffs
http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/R200.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.