Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torque wrench question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mdwman
Getting ready to do a first oil change on my 914 and want to clean the oil strainer as well. I don't have a torque wrench and Autozone has a very inexpensive beam type. I have never used a torque wrench before and wonder if this type is adequate to get the correct torque of 9lbs on the strainer nut? Looks like 2lb graduations on the scale up to 150. The fancy click type wrenches look to be very expensive and many don't go below 10lbs.

Thanks for any input.

M
SLITS
1/4" drive rachet and don't LEAN on the wrench .... just snug 'em about 1/4 turn beyond contact. If it leaks ... give it another 1/8 turn.

You need an in/lb torque wrench ... the cheapies aren't all that accurate.

Do it by feel grasshopper .... do it by feel.
Van
Correct - use a ratchet that is about a foot long, and exert about the the force it takes to pick up a gallon of milk. (One foot - 8.5 lbs... see where this is going?)
degreeoff
OR just break down and buy a nice T wrench and you'll never need another. (well maybe 2 alltogether) I have a $69 BAW (to 150lbs) and a $129 Craftsman that goes down to 5 lbs. Needed it for my 9eleben motor....:-P
purple
I got a nice Kobalt 3/8'' at Lowe's for 69 bucks and have used it OODLES of times. They really are nice tools because you dont get something us gun owners know all about...parallax error. If you look at a beam scale TW from the wrong angle and not dead on, you're in trouble.

you could also measure the length of your ratched, get a newton spring scale, and then do the torque calculation for what you need.

T = Force * Length

10 pounds force @ 1 foot = 10 ft/lbs

maybe a bit complex for the uninitiated out there, but it works!

oh, the kobalt wrench goes all the way down to 0 in .5 increments. It's hot secks. just get one and cry once instead of every time you try and use a beam wrench
Katmanken
Actually, as a geek engineer, I like the beam type better and think you get better accuracy. I've never had a parallax problem, mine has the indicator real close to the numbers.
With strainer nuts, I go by feel. Just don't be a ham handed torqueing fool.

Ken

SGB
QUOTE(Van @ Feb 21 2008, 02:36 PM) *

Correct - use a ratchet that is about a foot long, and exert about the the force it takes to pick up a gallon of milk. (One foot - 8.5 lbs... see where this is going?)

Nice example- what are you- some kinda injunear?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.