Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 EV discussion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
pjf
No, you have to get it somewhere else but the WarP 9" motor is supposed to be bolt compatible with an Advanced DC 9" which is very common. For some reason adaptor plates can be pricey but they can be had by the places that sell EV parts. The 914 is not an exotic transmission to mate to so you shouldn't have any problem getting one. I recently got a CD with videos on how to make your own adaptor plate. If you're interested in it I can get you the details.
Joe Bob
Sure....
My email is 356@cox.net

I've been cruising all the sites trying to pick up all the slang, terminology and wade thru the dreck.....seems like there are tons of people that are trying to do it. Lot's of invest with me...I'm building a prototype.....websites....

Also the biggest lmit seems to be batteries. No one can get ....reliably....anything but lead acid and those are pricey and expensive even if you CAN get a break in price for 20+ units....

I work for a environmental agency and also have connections with an alternative transportation agency. They NO ONE on staff or ANY imformation on EVs.

We had four of them a few years back....two RAVs and two Ford trucks....always breaking down and now they are gone. But the charging units are still there and can be activated when anyone shows up with the right onboard equipment....
pjf
I sent you an email with the link for the adaptor CD. The only affordable type of battery I've been able to come up with is lead/acid. A little over $100 each puts you at around $2000 for 20 and less if you use 18 8v's. They have their problems but at least getting a pack doesn't break the bank.
Joe Bob
Thanks for the email....you must be getting good prices on batteries or haven't bought any lately....I'm seeing 150+ out here.

They have been blaming it on the Chinese driving up metal prices....
Chris Pincetich
9" DC motor, >140 volts, remove that big 1st gear out of your 901, and power it with 200 series-wired laptop batteries. beerchug.gif
The AC costs way more...I recently saw something where capacitors were wired in series to get BIG voltage gains for performance, coupled to regen braking and other batteries for some logevity.
I got a contact a year ago from Metric Mind - dude bought a 993 shell and $30K of the best AC parts and would sell the EV parts for $20K. Definitely ask the suppliers about that! Craigslist had an add for the EA 914 AC kit here in NorCal, but the add was gone in a week.
From the reading I've done, it seems like another hurdle is tuning. I could build the thing, but it would need a controller with an interface that I could pay a computer geek to tune the controller for my particular batteries+car weight+driving style.
Go for it! beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
144 volts and 12volt batteries don't look to be the answer....I'm seeing AMPS as the power and it looks like the 6V deep cycle battery used for golf carts is the thing.....

6v X 20 (batteries) and a Zilla controller. The 6v batteries pack a HUGE punch......double DC motor.....

Check out Otmar's ride....arrrararrararraaarrrr, power.....he's running 240v with 20 Exide Orbital, 12.00 Volt, Lead-Acid, AGM....he must have a deal with a battery company cause that big $$ in batteries.....

http://www.evalbum.com/293

IPB Image

IPB Image
pjf
What can I tell you? When I saw $150 each for a 6v battery I called my local "battery guy" and he quoted me $109 and change. This was just a few days ago. It is on the other coast so that may make a difference. I agree that 144v using 12v batteries is not much good. You could blast around the neighborhood but you'd better not go too far. A better idea is using 18 8v batteries. Its supposed to be a compromise between distance and performance.

As far as tuning a controller. If you want simplicity you can go with a Curtis controller that has no programming at all. With the Zilla you have settting to play with but a computer or adapted Palm will do the trick and it doesn't sound that hard.

banger
When buying batteries, you must keep in mind that not all batteries are created equal. Most people think that all 6v golf cart batteries will be close to the same. There are wide variances between battery manufactures. Ask for a datasheet on the batteries, and look at the discharge curves for each battery you are considering. Some batteries may have the same Ah capacity, at a 20 hour rate, but when you try to pull 500-1000 amps on them, they are completely different. Some of the cheaper batteries are unable to supply high currents efficiently, and will generate an excess amount of heat.
neo914-6
QUOTE(356 @ Feb 28 2008, 05:33 PM) *

144 volts and 12volt batteries don't look to be the answer....I'm seeing AMPS as the power and it looks like the 6V deep cycle battery used for golf carts is the thing.....

6v X 20 (batteries) and a Zilla controller. The 6v batteries pack a HUGE punch......double DC motor.....

Check out Otmar's ride....arrrararrararraaarrrr, power.....he's running 240v with 20 Exide Orbital, 12.00 Volt, Lead-Acid, AGM....he must have a deal with a battery company cause that big $$ in batteries.....

In a video interview I believe Otmar stated he had over 25k in parts alone, definately a quality and pricey conversion. It may have included the 930 gearbox but I think he got that before they were desirable/expensive...

I read AC is more costly and more complex/tuneable...

Here's a good breakdown.

Look into these battery suppliers. You may need connections as some only sell to OEM's
Altair Nanotechnologies lithium-titanate
A123 Systems
MES-DEA ZEBRA
EEStor
Valence Technology
sean_v8_914
bump
r_towle
QUOTE(356 @ Feb 23 2008, 08:50 PM) *

I signed up for the EVDL discussion list....hope it's a little more tolerant than the 356talk list.

Anyways, searched the archives for 914 conversions and got a pile back.....
http://www.evalbum.com/type/PORS
I saw that Otmar has TWO 8 inch motors bolted together.....WTF?

Mike Zois

I cant believe that YOU would consider modifying a 914 to produces anything but a COA concourse car with all the original parts.

How do you think this will affect the overall value of our original cars and impact my perception of reality.
The talk list is one of the most tolerant and open groups I have ever seen. Welcoming all people who love cars they cannot afford and ensuring large profits for owners of the real cars that they all bought for 3k twenty years ago.
With the hardcore members all aging and moving on due to the fact that they can no longer drive the cars anymore, the list is dying. Oh, did anyone think about a forum?? hell no, that would give free and open access to data and threads that should never be shared outside the inner circle.

Please dont consider making the car faster, safer, or god forbid driveable, that would ruin the entire point of saving these old true engineering marvels..

lol KTF
biggrin.gif

Rich
Joe Bob
Put down the crack pipe and answer my last email on the "B"....
r_towle
never got one...send it again...
just got the COA...
Dark midnight blue, biege leather interior, headrests, alarm, luggage rack, super 90...
sweet color combo.
alarm is a kill switch from the factory...cool...
R
neo914-6
Mike,

Maybe you can buy a converted car and transfer the components. Here's some for sale:
Joe Bob
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 5 2008, 01:01 PM) *

never got one...send it again...
just got the COA...
Dark midnight blue, biege leather interior, headrests, alarm, luggage rack, super 90...
sweet color combo.
alarm is a kill switch from the factory...cool...
R

I'm interested....just answer yer email numnutz....
Joe Bob
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Mar 5 2008, 07:06 PM) *

Mike,

Maybe you can buy a converted car and transfer the components. Here's some for sale:

Actually, I'm looking at a Mazda Miata EV that's local.....wonder if it's gay enuff fer me?
buck toenges
What about capacitors with batteries? Read something recently about manufactures using capacitors with batteries that provide the electricity you need as you push the pedal down without causing serious drainage problems with the batteries, thereby reducing the replacement battery issue.

How feasible is it to use photovoltaic "charging stations" at work in the parking lot. How expensive are they and can they give you a charge you need during business hours?

Seems to me that if you can get the charge for free and get about 40mpc (miles per charge) then hooking up some sort of rear wheel drive electric system to a diesel vw bug would really kick some serious ass in opec!

O.k. Tell me why I am a dreamer?
swl
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Mar 11 2008, 07:19 AM) *

What about capacitors with batteries? Read something recently about manufactures using capacitors with batteries that provide the electricity you need as you push the pedal down without causing serious drainage problems with the batteries, thereby reducing the replacement battery issue.

A capacitor is just a way of leveling the demand curve. When the demand is low it charges up from the batteries. When demand is high it releases that energy instead of the batteries having to do all the work. It doesn't create energy of course - just a storage technique. I could understand a theory that says avoiding demand spikes is good for the battery. Where I'm a little skeptical is in a capacitor that was big enough to make a difference for any more than a fraction of a second.
smontanaro
QUOTE(swl @ Mar 11 2008, 12:32 PM) *
Where I'm a little skeptical is in a capacitor that was big enough to make a difference for any more than a fraction of a second.

Google for supercapacitors or ultracapacitors.

Skip
swl
too cool skip. 10,000 fold improvement would do the trick!
shelby/914
Just sold a tub to a guy in Aurora for an electric conversion. It will be his second. Gave him info about this site but have not heard from him since. He is suppose to contact us about an interior and some other parts. Will tell him about this thread if he ever calls back.

Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
Well the current 914 is too nice to convert...gonna keep it as a gas burner for awhile until I tire of it....still trying to get the Miata guy down on his price.

He wants 7500 and it needs all new batteries....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.