Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable stretching
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373
How much stretching is normal??? I have adjusted it 3 times already since the new cable was installed, about 4 months ago.

Mike
blitZ
Do you have 2 nuts securing the cable at the fork? With just one it loosens itself. Also, check to see if the clutch tube is secure.
ws91420
May be a clutch job in the future for you.
jasons
I don't know but I have had a similar experience. I swear mine stretches as the car gets heat soaked. Specifically, when the car is cold it functions fine. As it gets hot (heat soaked), it seems to stretch.

I have a new OEM replacement cable and a Eurorace header. And, my cable is sheathed with a heat resistant wrap.

I've considered trying a Terry Cable.
Cap'n Krusty
Better check the clutch cable tube where it exits the tub. If there's cracking there, best fix it right away. Might get a flashlight and a mirror and check the end just forward of the shifter, too. The Cap'n
mike373
Ok... I guess I should give more info.

All clutch parts are brand new and went in the car with my new 2056 engine that I finished building in October. Cable is a new terry cable. This is the thrird time I have tightened it. And now it is hard to get in gear when clutch is to the floor.

Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 22 2008, 02:02 PM) *

Better check the clutch cable tube where it exits the tub. If there's cracking there, best fix it right away. Might get a flashlight and a mirror and check the end just forward of the shifter, too. The Cap'n

agree.gif sounds like your clutch tube is giving away ...

shades.gif Andy
mike373
Nooooooooooo !!!!!!!
Dave_Darling
Or, as was mentioned above, you're not double-nutting it. Even Nylocs slip on the clutch cable on my car.

--DD
orthobiz
I've heard not to reuse the Nyloc nut. Unless it's new it'll definitely slip. But double nutting is the best!

And I've decided it's NOT your clutch tube (only because I could never wish that on a fellow teener!).

Paul
mike373
....and it is double nutted. Haven't had a moment yet to get under there and inspect the clutch tube. Damn!!!!
Engman
In what type of condition is your pedal board?

M
mike373
I was thinking about that too. The pedal cluster needs a rebuild and still has the nylon bushings. Maybe the bushings are opening up and I'm losing clutch cable pull??

(wishfull thinking)

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.