Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: New Yob!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Well, one more week destroying boxes for UPS and then it's off into the wonderful world of machining. I just got a job at Penco Precision in Fontana, CA. They are a low production, high precision job shop that does parts MOSTLY for the aerospace and medical industries. I've been going to school for the past year learning the trade, as neither I nor anyone in my family have any machining background. This new job will pay okay to start, and they will train me and I'll be able to move up to a pretty good living eventually. (can anyone say CNC programmer?) They also have medical benefits and paid time off yada yada yada..., and my shop foreman seems like a really easy guy to work with. I'll also learn to work with Titanium alloys and Inconels, which could be very helpful in the future.
This is a big boost for me because it's something that I decided to go for with no influence from anyone else. I'm starting to see results of what I can accomplish on my own. Of course, it doesn't end with machining. I want to immediately go for my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, so I'll basically be going to school for the rest of my life (or so it feels like right now). biggrin.gif I have no idea when I'm going to have time to play with my 914, but I'll make time. The only regret I have is that I didn't start this sooner.
Now I know how Brando felt a few months back. How's the new job workin out so far Brando?
Mark D.
biosurfer1
mechanical engineering degree was the best move of my life so far...tough, but so worth it in the end!
plymouth37
Congrats on the new job! I am wrapping up the first year of a mechanical engineering degree, it's tough, but I love it!
ConeDodger
Congratulations Mark! Be careful though... That easy going boss could probably get a bit testy if you waste a few thousand dollars worth of titanium! biggrin.gif
Gint
Hey good for you. Grats!
BMXerror
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 24 2008, 11:14 AM) *

Congratulations Mark! Be careful though... That easy going boss could probably get a bit testy if you waste a few thousand dollars worth of titanium! biggrin.gif

Yeah, tell me about it.... unsure.gif They do some pretty complex parts, too (aircraft hydralics mostly)i.e. easy to screw up. At least they're usually pretty small. So unless I scrap a whole batch of them it shouldn't be in the thousands of dollars.
Mark D.
brer
those machines are hypnotic
byndbad914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Feb 24 2008, 09:45 AM) *

... I want to immediately go for my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, so I'll basically be going to school for the rest of my life (or so it feels like right now). biggrin.gif

I got my BSME when I was 30yrs old, never to old to do that. I was a mechanic and then race car guy thru my 20s, went back to school (had already done undergrad to get the AA in Auto Mechanics and Small Biz Mgmt) at 27 and killed myself (15-17 units per semester) to be done by 30.

But I make a fair amount more than I did in the auto world, and more than my CNC buddies, I promise. AND, that machining background will make you pretty valuable if you decide to go into aerospace design or analysis.

I was told one time in a night math class by a fellow student "your fuching up the curve cuz engineers are supposed to be stupid from the elbows down!" and I was clearly a working stiff as I showed up straight from work covered in various stains from building race engines all day. laugh.gif Fact is, I was a lead analyst on a major program with 8 MONTHS of experience at Raytheon because a background like mechanics or machining will put you heads and shoulders above the rest of the schmucks that paid to have their oil changed while going to school. I was working at a level of understanding some fellow guys needed 5-7yrs to grasp without a "manual labor" background. If your nails are clean in mechanical engineering school, you should probably consider business hahaha.

Don't let yourself down or see it as a big challenge, get the degree. The level of effort in the short term sucks, but the long run... I hardly even remember the days of spending all weekend doing homework and lab reports.
BMXerror
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Feb 25 2008, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Feb 24 2008, 09:45 AM) *

... I want to immediately go for my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, so I'll basically be going to school for the rest of my life (or so it feels like right now). biggrin.gif

I hardly even remember the days of spending all weekend doing homework and lab reports.

I have an instructor who says the exact same thing. As for me, I'm doing 16 units at the moment, but I will probably have to dial that back after I get my AS in Manufacturing so that I'll have time to make a living. I hope you're right about the hands-on mechanical background being an advantage, because I'm going to need everything I can get when I'm running on 4 hours of sleep! blink.gif Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.
Mark D.
byndbad914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Feb 25 2008, 08:36 PM) *

...As for me, I'm doing 16 units at the moment, but I will probably have to dial that back after I get my AS in Manufacturing so that I'll have time to make a living...
Mark D.

Worked full time M-F at Ford Performance Solutions and at one point worked a Sat morning job 6am-2am installing satellite dishes with an FPS customer... it's doable laugh.gif Had only 15units that semester and yep, it sucked blink.gif My now fiancee was my girlfriend at the time, I would get out of work at 10pm some nights, head over to her waitressing job and sit at the bar until she got done at 11pm or so and went out 'til around 1am. Back up the next day at 7AM to head to 8AM class. Yeah, it's a mofo, but worth it.

My worst impression... "You can DO eeet" laugh.gif
Jeffs9146
Be careful though... That easy going boss could probably get a bit testy if you waste a few thousand dollars worth of titanium!

My buddy does this making parts for Nasa and Aerospace, his boss will give him unlimited tools and aluminum but if he fucks up the titanium or the tool on the titanium it comes out of his job pay! Do more cuts than nessary and take it slow!

WATCH OUT!
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.