Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heinrich Klie's 914 restored
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
johannes
I found two webpages created by the person who owns Klie's 914 and the original 1/5 model.
Heinrich Klie is the guy who actually designed the 914 and the Fuchs wheel ... pray.gif

http://www.vw-porsche-914-club-westfalen.de/schlu1.htm

http://www.vw-porsche-914-club-westfalen.de/schlu2.htm

I know one who will translate theese pages for those who don't read french german

chair.gif

Want to learn more about Klie ? read the Mythbuster thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51265

akellym
This is what I come up with....

My infinite 914 history (part of 1 1999) as I at the beginning of the 90's after long starting time as 914 fan to my first restoration object, did not know I came yet that this was the at the beginning of a long history. After I delivered center 1993 my meanwhile second 914 building site due to the no longer existing spare time (sideline study) to Dutch enthusiasts, I thought that war`s, but it should come differently. Already 14 days later I discovered with a stay in Munich on the occasion of a hospitalization of my youngest son, an interesting sales announcement 914 in the old timers market. The reference of the salesman to the history of the vehicle let me listen attentively. It was the car of the 914 of designer Heinrich Klie, from the year of construction 1971 with Erstzulassung 1974. The car had to exhibit some characteristics, which it probably as unique piece to represent, so e.g. a changed instrument panel (see into "large Volkswagen Porsche the book" page 25). The vehicle served from 1971 to 1974 in the Design design-Studio from Porsche to study purposes and by Mr. Klie privately was then taken over. Of course I took the car then also with home. Unfortunately a tear in the left prevented me! Rear axle admission to a summer to further 914 drive. In me remaining spare time during the study I tried then, everything over "mean" 914 to experience. Of the Porsche Classic GmbH I experienced that Mr. Klie lived his well-deserved retirement somewhere "in the area Goettingen". A search over the telephone CD finally brought end to 1997 desired success, from approx.. 20 Klie's was natural the last correct. Mr. Klie appeared very pleased that still its it existed to 914 (whom he had continued to give to 1983 at his nephews). After some telephone and brieflichen contacts I visited then the childless family Heinrich Klie in Goettingen. I was received cordially from both and it began an active maintenance over the 914, the companies Porsche and the work of the Mr. Klie. Absolute coronation/culmination of my attendance with the Klie's was i.e. a gift of Mr. Klie to me, a 1:5 model 914 of a study (see in "large Volkswagen Porsche the book" page 22) from the Porsche Design studio. With two further attendance the contact was intensified, so that I beside many Insiderinformationen also still some at documents e.g. old Porsche Christopherus of booklets and rare Maerklin 1:43 models given got. Unfortunately Mrs. Klie in the late summer deceased 1998, Mr. Klie followed it in the spring 1999 at the gesegneten age of 85. I remember still today gladly the nice and informal Zusammensein with the family Klie! In the meantime the "Klie is 914" with me in work and the drawers also restored parts becomes ever fuller, but it will last probably still another whole time, until it is to be seen again on the road, because occupation and particularly my family stand in the first place. Norbert Schlueter email back to (homepage) (contact contacts) (left lists) (meetings /Termine) (stories approximately around the 914er) (request for membership)
akellym
and the 2nd one... I'm sure this is not the best translation!

My infinite 914 history (part of 1 1999) as I at the beginning of the 90's after long starting time as 914 fan to my first restoration object, did not know I came yet that this was the at the beginning of a long history. After I delivered center 1993 my meanwhile second 914 building site due to the no longer existing spare time (sideline study) to Dutch enthusiasts, I thought that war`s, but it should come differently. Already 14 days later I discovered with a stay in Munich on the occasion of a hospitalization of my youngest son, an interesting sales announcement 914 in the old timers market. The reference of the salesman to the history of the vehicle let me listen attentively. It was the car of the 914 of designer Heinrich Klie, from the year of construction 1971 with Erstzulassung 1974. The car had to exhibit some characteristics, which it probably as unique piece to represent, so e.g. a changed instrument panel (see into "large Volkswagen Porsche the book" page 25). The vehicle served from 1971 to 1974 in the Design design-Studio from Porsche to study purposes and by Mr. Klie privately was then taken over. Of course I took the car then also with home. Unfortunately a tear in the left prevented me! Rear axle admission to a summer to further 914 drive. In me remaining spare time during the study I tried then, everything over "mean" 914 to experience. Of the Porsche Classic GmbH I experienced that Mr. Klie lived his well-deserved retirement somewhere "in the area Goettingen". A search over the telephone CD finally brought end to 1997 desired success, from approx.. 20 Klie's was natural the last correct. Mr. Klie appeared very pleased that still its it existed to 914 (whom he had continued to give to 1983 at his nephews). After some telephone and brieflichen contacts I visited then the childless family Heinrich Klie in Goettingen. I was received cordially from both and it began an active maintenance over the 914, the companies Porsche and the work of the Mr. Klie. Absolute coronation/culmination of my attendance with the Klie's was i.e. a gift of Mr. Klie to me, a 1:5 model 914 of a study (see in "large Volkswagen Porsche the book" page 22) from the Porsche Design studio. With two further attendance the contact was intensified, so that I beside many Insiderinformationen also still some at documents e.g. old Porsche Christopherus of booklets and rare Maerklin 1:43 models given got. Unfortunately Mrs. Klie in the late summer deceased 1998, Mr. Klie followed it in the spring 1999 at the gesegneten age of 85. I remember still today gladly the nice and informal Zusammensein with the family Klie! In the meantime the "Klie is 914" with me in work and the drawers also restored parts becomes ever fuller, but it will last probably still another whole time, until it is to be seen again on the road, because occupation and particularly my family stand in the first place. Norbert Schlueter email back to (homepage) (contact contacts) (left lists) (meetings /Termine) (stories approximately around the 914er) my infinite one I would like to give now an interim report to 914 history (part of 2 2003) after I already reported 914 forum in the expenditure 12/99 of my beginnings in the 914 scene, to the best one, because an end of history is not yet in view. As I 1997 after now the finally terminated end of workday study the body of the Klie 914 exactly examined again became fast clear me, which lined up here a complete restoration. For "practicing" I procured myself thus a sheet metal dress already welded, Bj. 1974 2.0L, which I wanted to complete with the many parts, which I already possessed from several slaughtered 914. (in the picture radiated 914 on the rotary stand) it showed up however very fast, which still some corners had to be after-welded and done over again, whereby club colleague Michael Schweer supported me energetically. In an evening and a night action the complete interior and Unterboden in a large painting cab of my employer were then primed, gefuellert again and painted finally in the original colour sun-yellow. (the maskinged with tape body before applying permanent elastic falling rocks) now the assembly could take place beginning with the drawing in of the wiring harness. (in the foreground my son yokes controls a contriving of the wiring harness) some main building groups such as axles and steering element were fast installed again with the support by club colleagues. (here kneel the club chairman ehrfuerchtig before the shining body) few one the working
SirAndy
QUOTE(akellym @ Feb 28 2008, 03:07 PM) *

I'm sure this is not the best translation!

av-943.gif

i think i'll email norbert and ask him if it's ok to translate his article and post it here ...
idea.gif Andy
DEC
In this thread we see what Norbert had.

The Klie 914 is still waiting for a restauration
johannes
You are right. The Klie 914 is still waiting for a restauration. I misunderstood. The first link is not the Klie car but another one he restored for self education purpose.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DEC @ Mar 1 2008, 02:11 PM) *

In these thread we see what Norbert has.

Wilco,
any updates on the restoration of Klie's 914 ???
idea.gif Andy
SGB
I love this kind of information. Thanks!
DEC
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2008, 03:54 AM) *

QUOTE(DEC @ Mar 1 2008, 02:11 PM) *

In this thread we see what Norbert had.

Wilco,
any updates on the restoration of Klie's 914 ???
idea.gif Andy

Now after a lot of sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif
the "Klie 914" is ready for the outside paint smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I will keep you updated
johannes
Hi Wilco ! Those are great news. I can't wait to see that car on the road again ! ...

niner
Original pages translated: Page 1 Page 2 smile.gif

Chris H.
Fantastic! What a bonus that it's Signal Orange, one of the great colors!
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
laflaur
Very cool ,loooks great.
Whats with the white nose and black tail paint scheme?
johannes
Is this car a prototype or does it have a very early VIN ?

SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 30 2013, 12:47 PM) *

No, i have to dig through my notes, but i believe it was build on a '71 chassis.

This was a in-house test mule used by Klie to try out new ideas.
idea.gif
DEC
Take a look at
> MYTHBUSTERS: Did Gugelot really design the 914?

here you find a lot of specials for the Klie 914, also the VIN and other
modified or different parts of this car incl. the check control system
DEC
QUOTE(laflaur @ Jan 30 2013, 09:45 PM) *

Very cool ,loooks great.
Whats with the white nose and black tail paint scheme?

The front white is a primer
The black at the rear is like the car was original
DEC
The assembling phase is started.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
johannes
Excellent ! smile.gif
Cairo94507
OMG! That looks better than new. drooley.gif
DEC
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 25 2013, 02:16 PM) *

OMG! That looks better than new. drooley.gif

Michael
I post these pics specifically for Scotty lol
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
Sven914
I hope that Norbert finished the work on his 914er very fast
I will see it in the end of May in Holland
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
JawjaPorsche
Can't go wrong with Signal Orange! beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
so painting over the row of big grommets on the nose is ok?
rjames
What is underneath the paint on the inner wheelhouse that is making it so textured looking? Did they add texture to the paint to give the sheet metal some protection from debris kicked up by the tires?
Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 22 2013, 09:29 AM) *

Maybe it's a replaced front clip and those aren't actually grommets? I seem to recall a thread where some cars that had had their front clips replaced used replacement panels that only had the markings of where the grommets would go.
scotty b
gorgeous wub.gif
DEC
QUOTE(rjames @ May 22 2013, 07:27 PM) *

What is underneath the paint on the inner wheelhouse that is making it so textured looking? Did they add texture to the paint to give the sheet metal some protection from debris kicked up by the tires?
Click to view attachment

That's a protection for the sheet metal.
It's called Fertan Over 4S and can be painted.
DEC
QUOTE(rjames @ May 22 2013, 07:33 PM) *

Maybe it's a replaced front clip and those aren't actually grommets? I seem to recall a thread where some cars that had had their front clips replaced used replacement panels that only had the markings of where the grommets would go.

completely correct
rgalla9146
QUOTE(DEC @ May 22 2013, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ May 22 2013, 07:33 PM) *

completely correct

Looks like it had front marker lamps at one time.
Weld bead inside right front fender
porbmw
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 30 2013, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 30 2013, 12:47 PM) *

No, i have to dig through my notes, but i believe it was build on a '71 chassis.

This was a in-house test mule used by Klie to try out new ideas.
idea.gif

It IS beautiful!

Vents on side of dash....and ignition on column.... precursor to 72?
DEC
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 23 2013, 04:33 AM) *

Looks like it had front marker lamps at one time.
Weld bead inside right front fender

In Germany you can't get the European fenders anymore
If you have the luck to find new ones they are mostly the US-version
so he must closed the holes. That is not original but better than
patchworking the rotted old ones.
Rleog
Congratulations. Beautifully done!

Merry Christmas Dr. Klie. santa_smiley.gif
Cairo94507
That looks perfect. The carpet in that looks very much like the stock Six carpeting if I am not mistaken. That car is simply stunning. smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
Smokin! aktion035.gif
SirAndy
first.gif
That is one clean looking car!

Needs to be lowered a bit tho, it sits too high ...
biggrin.gif
scotty b
Wowzers !! first.gif Feel free to post more often poke.gif
DEC
Hi
The restoration of the Klie 914 is finalized and ready for the
first trip......

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DEC
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
driving-girl.gif Have Fun! aktion035.gif
tscrihfield
The car looks stunning! Wonderful restoration, glad the piece was preserved!
dlkawashima
The restoration looks great. IPB Image Vinyl covered A-pillars?
DEC
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ May 1 2014, 02:10 AM) *

Vinyl covered A-pillars?

Yes drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.