abbott295
Happy to hear you got it back!
jim912928
amen
pin31
Glad you got it back !!!

Hope they catch the bastards and they spend some time in jail. mad.gif
scotty b
Maybe that "OVERHAULIN" show took it and couldn't find the engine so they dropped that episode confused24.gif
orange914
piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif

happy for ya! beerchug.gif biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif fix it, drive it, enjoy it...

whats going on in ca. here? there has been 3 914's stolen real recent here that i've heard of.

mike
TJB/914
Andy,

Just got back in town & wow what a surprise post. I hate crooks.

Glad you recovered your 914 & best wishes getting it running. Time to start looking for a garage.

Tom
championgt1
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Feb 29 2008, 04:12 PM) *

I was really really hoping Chip Foos took it.

Oh well, at least you got it back.

I am glad Chip Foos did not take it. He would have really screwed it up! biggrin.gif
rebelmdot
welcome.png

Congratulations, welcome back.
LarryR
They used to have a club that blast with a tazer if tampered with. I wonder if those are legal in california. I contemplated getting one for my car but then wondered if I might ever get in and screw up and have it zap me w00t.gif

Anyway, glad you got your car back. Very bizzare story. I thought for sure they would have at least stripped it I think you got very lucky in a round about way.

Hope they catch the bastard(s).

PeeGreen 914
I am soooo glad it has returned. piratenanner.gif Not that I want this to happen to anyone, but you're the last guy I would want to see this happen to with all you do for our community. beerchug.gif
jimtab
Andy, I'm glad to hear the car was recovered in at least fair shape and that the "heart" of the beast is still intact....
SirAndy
It's possible that they dropped the car for a limited amount of time to see if it was "tracked". They would leave it for a couple days to see if the cops show up (using a Lo-Jack or similar). If nobody shows up, they know that there isn't a tracking system and it's "clean" for them to move it to the chop shop.

that actually makes a lot of sense ...
the eyewitness said that they were going through the car for half an hour or so, both trunks and the inside.
and both trunks are full of spare parts and they didn't take anything.

maybe they were looking for a Lo-Jack ...
idea.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
Any damage at all?
MartyYeoman
Great news.
piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 1 2008, 10:54 AM) *

Any damage at all?

i have yet to try to turn over the engine, fingers crossed.

so far, only one doorlock and the steering column. i can live with that ...
smile.gif Andy
ConeDodger
Congratulations Andy... I know you must be very relieved. I think we need a LoJack Group Buy or lets put Keyser to work on a GPS tracking scumbag electrocution system... Then we get the car back and we get to kick the smoking carcass of the scumbags who did it!!!
davep
I wonder what made the car so attractive in the first place?
If it was something like the engine, how would they know it was there?
Maybe they cruise this site looking for opportunities.
Wes V
Although it's possible that Andy got the car back due to the thiefs fearing a tracking system, people shouldn't just jump on the Lo-Jack band wagon due to it's having a couple serious "issues"!!!! Both are based on the fact that the actual tracking is done by the police.

The first issue is that you have to go to a police station to file a report before they will do anything. You can't call it in!! If your car is stolen, how do you get to the nearest police station and also there is the question where they are located. That amount of time allows the thief to get that much farther away.

The other issue is that it's up to the police to activate the system and then look for it. Now unless you know a cop (or are one), you may just not be a big priority!! They are under no obligation to jump on it.

Wes
1970 Neun vierzehn
Glad that your car is back where it belongs. Hopefully your stress level also returns to normal. Since everyone in the "garage" is toasting you with beerchug.gif , the wackos on the CW site are lifting delicate glasses of Kalifornia Kabernet in celebration of your cars' return. (They can't find the "cheese & wine" emoticon however).

Paul
brer
glad you found it andy.

It might be prudent for those of you with Big Investments in your cars to not post every detail online.. if you know what I mean.
euro911
QUOTE(Wes V @ Mar 1 2008, 11:34 AM) *

Although it's possible that Andy got the car back due to the thiefs fearing a tracking system, people shouldn't just jump on the Lo-Jack band wagon due to it's having a couple serious "issues"!!!! Both are based on the fact that the actual tracking is done by the police.

The first issue is that you have to go to a police station to file a report before they will do anything. You can't call it in!! If your car is stolen, how do you get to the nearest police station and also there is the question where they are located. That amount of time allows the thief to get that much farther away.

The other issue is that it's up to the police to activate the system and then look for it. Now unless you know a cop (or are one), you may just not be a big priority!! They are under no obligation to jump on it.

Wes

'Someone' posted (elsewhere) the negatives of tracking:
QUOTE(T****N @ Feb 29 2008, 05:06 PM)
So I happened to call my mobile carrier today to update my plan.
It turns out the guy I was talking to used to install car electronics.
He was was familiar with the idea and said that in theory, the mobile phone in the trunk is a good idea, but it has two flaws:
1) The phone hooked up to the battery will eventually shorten the life of the battery
2) If the would be thief parks the car in a remote area (where there is no phone service) or in an underground garage, the lack of service will effect the recovery.

... and I replied:

Just curious ... besides the criticisms, did your cellphone guy offer any good alternatives or recommendations?

No tracking system is completely fool-proof at the present time. LoJack has the same limitations in regards to coverage area, however, tracking data is stored and can be reviewed for several weeks or longer with most of the systems available. You should be able to retrace the path the thieves took and investigate the 'last known' location.

Many companies are installing antenna systems to extend cell coverage into large footprint office buildings and parking garages, using 'leaky-coax' technologies ... we've installed these at a few of our facilities over the past few years.

As for running down the vehicle's battery, cellphones draw a ridiculously low amount of current in the standby mode. If really concerned about a cellphone running down a car's battery, toss a 200mA solar charger on the dash to keep the drain low (uh, if you're parked outside).

If a tracking system only helps 75% of the time, you're still 75% better off, no? unsure.gif

Just my :2cents:

scotty b
I too had thought that the car might have been dropped because it was someone "close by". Having seen all the attention we have given this on other forums my thought was the thief(s) decided to stop drop and run because there were to many people aware of it. confused24.gif Whatever the situation, it is just great to have it back in Andy's hands relatively unharmed. aktion035.gif
Katmanken
YAAAYYYY!!!! Glad you got the car back.

Looks like it is time for the time honored 914 tradition of putting the car up on jackstands with two of the wheels removed.

Diagonal is good.

Add a motion sensor/alarm ready to trigger if someone tries to raise the car at an angle.

Yeah, I think there are some flakes stalking this board. This is the only place that has my Email address and name, and some joker used both to try to buy a big screen TV from Dell.

Sor Ahndie, can you write some code to locate all "members" near you? If one of them is a body shop...... idea.gif

Ken
73Phoenix20
Fantastic News!!!

Now, get started on looking over your "Friends and Enemies" list!!!

Very difficult to believe that this was a "random" theft....

Oh, yeah... the motion sensor camera idea... very good if you can find a spot to place it that is "unobtrusive".

Go with the infrared night photo system, and they have them with 150 day battery life, and huge photo capacity... the idea is that hunters set it in the woods to see what game comes thru over a long period of time... Gander Mtn, Cabalas, or on line... they have all of the details...

Seems like I paid $250 for mine, and it does pretty much everything. Download the photo chip right into your computer... Interesting what you catch on it... a LOT of people that you don't know pull in your driveway for no apparent reason, kids throw stuff at your property, punks four wheel across your yard... and this is in the GOOD section of town!

Seems especially worth the money ifyou are that far away from the driveway...
Matt Meyer
My theory is that these cars are getting stolen because they say "P-O-R-S-C-H-E" across the back. shades.gif

And recovered fairly quickly because these guys call up their fence and they find out they are only a 914. slap.gif

Hope they get caught.

Glad you got it back Andy.
Duffster
Wunderbar!!! beer.gif I'm truly thrilled that you got it back. I was unaware that others had been stolen as well. Thieves just suck... there's no other way to say it.

They'll need a forklift to get mine, not that that would stop 'em it seems...
Joe Bob
Ya mght wanna consider getting a "Yugo" sticker for it....
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 1 2008, 10:38 AM) *

It's possible that they dropped the car for a limited amount of time to see if it was "tracked".

that actually makes a lot of sense ...
the eyewitness said that they were going through the car for half an hour or so, both trunks and the inside.and both trunks are full of spare parts and they didn't take anything.

maybe they were looking for a Lo-Jack ...
idea.gif Andy

i think the morons just couldn't find the engine idea.gif
Andy,

Bottom line.. happy that you got your baby back!

Let's hope this does not happen again!

Best of luck with getting it started and put back together.
Wes V
Andy;

You said in one of your posts that you can't see the carport from your house and it got me thinking;

I'd recommend that you wire up a motion sensor switch to the lights at the carport and also an "indicator" light in the house.

Buy a couple sensors (they don't cost that much), have them mounted at different locations and have the wiring done so that a thief can't figure out which one is working the light. That way they can't just bypass it.

Have an indicator light in the house that lets you know that the sensor has gone off. That way you know if something is happening. It wouldn't hurt if when the indicator light goes on, it's visable from the carport. However you would have to run the wiring so that it's not easy to cut.

As an example, my garage is on an alley and you can't see if the large door has been opened. My dad wired up a simple switch at the top edge of the door that works a light mounted where you can see it from the house. If the light is on, the door is open.

Wes
tango-52
For easy wireless and wired home security, check out X10:
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm
They have all kinds of stuff from home automation to security. I have a bunch of their stuff and they are easy to set up. It can be a little tough wading through their hokey web site though.
porschecb
Andy: Someday we need to meet and tip one or two! We both got our cars back!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif drunk.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif chowtime.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif w00t.gif
gms
GREAT NEWS!!
Dr. Roger
for the idiots thinking they can just roll our cars away, isn't there a thing we can attach to our E brake stick to keep anyone from dis-engaging our E brake?
euro911
QUOTE(tango-52 @ Mar 2 2008, 12:34 PM) *

For easy wireless and wired home security, check out X10:
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm
They have all kinds of stuff from home automation to security. I have a bunch of their stuff and they are easy to set up. It can be a little tough wading through their hokey web site though.
I bought some of the X-10 wireless cameras to supplement my hard-wired system ... they actually work pretty good. For $130., This system (with 2 cameras) would probably suit your needs Andy. You just plug the receiver into your video input on a VCR or your PC's video card and start recording.

I'll have a wireless one set up (for an upcoming 914 BBQ) watching the cars in the parking lot at the end of the block shades.gif
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 2 2008, 01:46 PM) *

for the idiots thinking they can just roll our cars away, isn't there a thing we can attach to our E brake stick to keep anyone from dis-engaging our E brake?

up here at my school theres a guy with some tricked out civic and he uses a dummy boot. It looks like your car got booted but i see him come out and unlock and put it in his trunk every now and then. Looks like it would work pretty well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.