Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
charliew
Ok I apoligize if someone's already covered this.

I am going to use a subie and it has a pwr steering pump so I was wondering if Any one knows what pwr steering rack might fit easily in the 914, maybe a later porsche or even a domestic small car. I am going to try to use 8x18 wheels on the front and I thought it might be easier to handle at slow speeds with pwr steering.
Just steer me to a link and I will do the studying, Thanks

Charliew
Joe Ricard
Gold's Gym comes to mind.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 4 2008, 01:17 PM) *

av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 4 2008, 01:06 PM) *

I am going to use a subie and it has a pwr steering pump so I was wondering if Any one knows what pwr steering rack might fit easily in the 914, maybe a later porsche or even a domestic small car. I am going to try to use 8x18 wheels on the front and I thought it might be easier to handle at slow speeds with pwr steering.

later model 911 units look like they might fit. if i recall right, bill pickering (nine14cats) was looking into this for his "beast" at one point.
do a search here, it might come up with something ...

as for me, i've been running 9" racing slicks and 1 1/2" spacers without any steering trouble ...
driving.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
I think Drivability was also looking into it.
purple
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 4 2008, 03:17 PM) *

av-943.gif
that's funny in so many ways!
It'd be funnier if you could use a power rack for more than just lower body and forearm work.

sorry....obligatory weight lifter comments...

OH, 18'' rims do not belong on a 30+ year old car. Chip Foose does this to chargers with 20's and 22's and it just looks tacky. Dont donk a 914 please
alpha434
Dont "donk" a 914. Lol. Donk. That's my new general use word-of-they day.

Drive-ability decided on an MR2 all electric system, even though his car is V8 powered. A solution that I was trying to push on him, at the time, was the NSX power steering. It's also all-electric, but has a variable rate rack, making for some wicked quick hard turns. You could really get donkin' with an NSX rack.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm about to go donk some racks of my own.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 4 2008, 01:06 PM) *

what pwr steering rack might fit easily in the 914

Why? 914s don;t need PS. Its a solution to a non-problem.
r_towle
You have been Donked.
So.Cal.914
A DONK...Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

purple
av-943.gif

i'm glad i brought this new form of automotive cancer to light...

thank you, that is all w00t.gif
Andyrew
You dont need power steering. Just drive it..

I have 255's on 17's in the front and can turn the wheel just fine, once the car is just slightly moving.
SGB
He can paint what he wants to. Its his canvas...
purple
QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 5 2008, 07:57 PM) *

you're right, we're just showing him that that brown paint he's about to dip his brush in is stromberg.gif

Maybe if he brought out a nice sketch of what he's gonna paint....

I vote the OP needs to post some pics of said 18'' rims. We'll go from there.

Truce?
byndbad914
QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 5 2008, 06:57 PM) *

true, but part of asking is getting other feedback and I agree with others... for an 8" wide wheel I can't imagine why you would need PS other that shear creature comfort. Now, with 10" wide front SLICKS on my race car (and same with the BPR guys), my shoulders are stiff and sore after a track day of hitting corner after corner as fast as possible, which is not what you encounter on the street. I have considered trying to add an aftermarket PS rack and then drive a pump off the transaxle but my motivation isn't quite there yet.

The real issue will be getting a rack that doesn't have crazy bump steer due to rod end pivots being too wide or narrow, getting it to mount in the location the stock rack does, then figuring out how to drive a pump (some have considered the electric pumps). It will take more effort to do all that than the effort to turn the wheel.
Joe Ricard
Seriously you could check your caster.
To much caster will make it real hard to turn. 6 degrees Caster is a good starting point. If you feel the car wandering then put more in.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 6 2008, 05:35 AM) *

Seriously you could check your caster.
To much caster will make it real hard to turn. 6 degrees Caster is a good starting point. If you feel the car wandering then put more in.

I have been down to around 3.5-4deg on mine (car doesn't wander at all... a lot of American cars you are lucky to get much past 1.5-2deg and they are fine) and still beat me up with the slicks. The scrub is pretty ruthless with the strut front end and big wheels.

For a street driver, I would put the absolute minimum caster you can on the stock car upper mounts (probably no less than 5deg anyway) and that is more than plenty. When I found out these cars spec'd out around 6deg I told them put in the least amount possible even when it was bone stock back in the day smile.gif
marks914
QUOTE(purple @ Mar 5 2008, 06:27 AM) *

av-943.gif
It'd be funnier if you could use a power rack for more than just lower body and forearm work.

OH, 18'' rims do not belong on a 30+ year old car. Chip Foose does this to chargers with 20's and 22's and it just looks tacky. Dont donk a 914 please

You can't DONK a 914

A Donk is a mid 80s (non bathtub) Caprice

15s. 17s, 20s, whatever, if you are running any big rubber, power steering would be nice around town. The challenge is finding a power rack that is short enough.

Mark
marks914
QUOTE(purple @ Mar 5 2008, 06:27 AM) *

av-943.gif

You can't DONK a 914

A Donk is a mid 80s (non bathtub) Caprice

I cannot recall a 22inch wheel Foose has put on a car.

My 35 Chevy came with 17s from the factory.

18s look "right" on a muscle car era vehicle. A 68 Camaro going from 15s to 18s is like adjusting the proportions with magic.

That is why we have bigger wheels on today's production cars, to adjust the proportion.

15s. 17s, 20s, whatever, if you are running any big rubber, power steering would be nice around town. The challenge is finding a power rack that is short enough.

Mark
ChrisFoley
Smart Racing Productshas a power steering rack in their catalog.
Joe Ricard
WoW 3500 bucks for a power rack?????

Hmm that would make my car worth 2500.00 dry.gif

I did make one of those U-joints to put on top of my rack. Steering input is much harsher but instant.
Like steering a Shifter Kart.
purple
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 7 2008, 06:31 AM) *

WoW 3500 bucks for a power rack?????

Hmm that would make my car worth 2500.00 dry.gif

I did make one of those U-joints to put on top of my rack. Steering input is much harsher but instant.
Like steering a Shifter Kart.

I'm curious how you did this...pics?
Joe Ricard
My mad skillz.
drive-ability
I'm building a unit using a Jetta rack and a Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump. I hope to get it up and running soon. I am building it because I want the option at lower speeds, since its electric I may have some control as to its % of assist. Below is a link of a 914 V-8 build that has a Jetta unit.

Link
Sparky
I thought this was a thread about bionic boobies... w00t.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif You have to go the the sandbox for that one biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.