Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarret Bar group buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron Cox
okay... to place an order we need to know who is "in"
my car's paint job is costing me too much, so i am no longer in on this buy, but will see it through to the end.

if you are in with an exception (i.e. ill take one, if the price is 400)

Thanks.. wavey.gif
Joe Bob
ME
Gint
1 set of front and 1 set of rear Mueller suspension roller bearings please. I will nail this thread and un-nail the previous one. OK Aaron?
Aaron Cox
sounds good gint, Thanks a bunch
ArtechnikA
by when do you need to know ?

i'm still waiting on damper pricing. if you haven't heard from me by deadline time that's cool - but i'd like to know when the deadline will be ...
Aaron Cox
its all up to you guys...(i cannot afford one now sad.gif ) voice your deadline requirements and well implement them....im easy
jdogg
I am in for a front bar and for the monoball strut mount. I am ready right now, but can wait no longer than the end of the month...Too much to do, too little time....
Aaron Cox
end of the month sounds good then, unless someone wants it quicker
TimT
Im in
Aaron Cox
1 bar for Dave Bell
1 bar for Jridder
1 bar for mike
1 bar for jdogg 1 set of monoballs
1 for tim
1 for my source
maybe ~1 for me (still trying to recover from my paint job excercise ohmy.gif )
Maybe rich
Gint
Aaron,

No bar for me. I'm busted. Just the bearings Front AND rear. And I don't need 'em until the end of February.
Dave Bell
I'm in.... let's get some more people signed up and get the price low

- Dave
jridder
I'm in for the bar and front and rear needle bearings.
anthony
I've asked a couple times about logistics and shipping. How will it work and how much will shipping be?

Is there a web page for the Tarret sway bars out there? Google turns up zilch.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(anthony @ Jan 15 2004, 01:05 PM)
Is there a web page for the Tarret sway bars out there? Google turns up zilch.

ya just gotta spell it right - Google found it right away for me ...

Tarett Engineering
anthony
Hey, I was just going by the topic title!
Aaron Cox
im not sure how much shipping will be yet. all the bars could be sent to me and ill ship them, or, the bars could be shipped from tarret or my distributor.
Dave Bell
Don't care how they are shipped... direct ship would probably be faster... not that we are on a fast track.... It would be good for everybody to get to some sort of payment record from Tarett with their name and purchase date on it in case something isn't right with the bar or they need to prove when they bought it for fulfillment of any warranty... which I presume they have.

- Dave
Joe Bob
So when is the talking about it gonna end????

Let's hump on this.... mueba.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 16 2004, 08:55 PM)
So when is the talking about it gonna end????

Let's hump on this.... mueba.gif

hmmm...if you read the thread...once
end of the month sounds good then, unless someone wants it quicker

come on mikey wink.gif
Joe Bob
Just being impatient....as usual....
Gint
I guess I'm completely out of this deal Aaron. I appreciate it all of the effort you put into it.

Explaination as to why can be found here.

Mike
Ira Ramin
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the interest in my products here, and I’m sorry if this group buy has caused any problems or bad feelings. Until this afternoon, I’ve been out of the country for the last three weeks on business and haven’t been able to deal with this properly. Group buys sound good initially but can easily go wrong, as some of us are starting to realize. Up front, I sell a bunch of parts, my dealer (the source) makes some money, and a bunch of you guys save some money. What could be so wrong with that?

What about the guys currently paying full price with another dealer? They’re not too happy when they find out after their purchase. And if they find out before the purchase and make their dealer drop his price. Than I have an unhappy dealer that may not buy my products again.

Any of my dealers that see the prices that were posted are not going to be very happy about it either. Why would they want to stock my products when they are being undercut and can’t sell them. They’ll also think that I must be giving someone else a better deal.

This is also not good for club members Mike and Brad for the same reasons. Not only does it cause problems for them, but there is a price error on the discount listed for Mike’s bearings. There’s either an error, or the source isn’t planning on making any money on them. There’s not enough margin for so many people to make money on them, and Mike's bearings are out of this group buy. In addition, any needle bearing purchases from members of this board should go through either Mike or Brad, not me. They’ve both put in the time to develop, support, and promote the bearings, so please go through them first for bearings.

I believe that this started with good intentions from everyone involved, and that I’m partially to blame for the misunderstanding between one of my new dealers and myself, which allowed the group buy to start without my knowledge. Keeping things going smoothly is part of my job. I’ve spent part of the day today apologizing to some of my other dealers that found out about it.

I’m now stuck with the choice of disappointing some of you guys or possibly pissing off more of my dealers. At this point, I think there’s no real harm done but I’d like to ask you guys to please wrap this buy up by the end of this week, if not sooner. Aaron is still coordinating, and all sales are going through his source. I will drop ship the parts. This is the last group buy. Please feel free to post or contact me directly with any questions.

Thanks,
Ira Ramin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Ira Ramin @ Jan 22 2004, 12:14 AM)
... Group buys sound good initially but can easily go wrong, as some of us are starting to realize. ...
I’m now stuck with the choice of disappointing some of you guys or possibly pissing off more of my dealers. ... This is the last group buy.

well said, thanks for posting here in person to clarify the issues.

i know that at my day job at Ross-Tech, the marketing director spends a bunch of time (especially around the holidays) keeping the distributors in line and seriously, actively, discouraging discounting. US trade laws do require that the "MSRP" is a "suggested" price and a manufacturer cannot dictate what price a distributor charges. (they can, of course, dictate what price distributors -pay- ...)

on high-value, low-margin parts, undercutting just winds up hurting everyone.

i like getting a deal as much as the next person, especially on expensive stuff. but i think your decision to eliminate group buys is a good one. i wish you luck enforcing it - it's an ongoing struggle !
Aaron Cox
Thanks Ira for clearing that up.

As to logistics,
products will be drop shipped, and ill get the contact info to place your orders in a day or 2.

Thanks again,
Aaron
anthony
I think I'm in. What's the price going to be on the front bar?
Aaron Cox
1-5 bars = 425
5-10 bars = 400
10 + = 375

i think we are at 8 bars
anthony
Well, lets go people. Everybody knows the Tarett bar is the best bar for the money!

We only need two more orders on the bar to get the best price. Gint, come back now that the roller bearing issue is cleared up.
Joe Bob
I will solicit buyers from the 911 board.....
Aaron Cox
sweet! go mikey
Gint
QUOTE(anthony Posted on Jan 24 2004 @ 10:07 AM)
We only need two more orders on the bar to get the best price. Gint, come back now that the roller bearing issue is cleared up.

I never wanted a bar. Well, that's not exactly true, I want one, but I can't afford it and it's not a "necessity". It will have to wait until I get the "rusto" done. I needed the bearings to get them done during the resto. But I've got enough other stuff to spend money on the next 3-9 months or so.
ArtechnikA
let me provide some closure here too, for those wondering where the interest in expressed earlier is. i wasn't in for a bar either - it was bushings and top strut mounts to go along with my strut upgrade.

i agree Tarett's bar is probably the hot-setup value leader.

if i need to go cheap, i'll use the monoball pillow block 19mm bar from my /6 and have some lever arms welded up to fit my splined ends. if funding permits, i'll go with the Smart bar. similarly with the upper strut bearings - while a strut truss doesn't do much for a 914 due to the design of the front bulkhead, it -is- a benefit on the 911, and WEVO's integrated approach looks to be the class of the field there.

so - my advice for any of you fence-sitters out there would be to jump on this deal - i doubt you'll see anything similar come by for a long time. in my case, the killer deal is for a part that was never on my shopping list ...
Gary
OK guys. It looks like you're spitting distance from 10 bars. I'll throw my hat in and be the 9th, but only if someone follows me to make it 10. I'm up to my ears in a full resto, but this is a great thing going.

Gary
TimT
Like Rich said, jump on this,

Im already in, however we need more people to make this buy really sweet!!..

Everybody wins!!
seanery
what sizes are these available in?
RAR
Greetings,
I too was wondering about the bar size. It appears 22 is the only one for the fronts. Is this what folks are using for a 3.2 or 3.6 conversion for the street, or is a larger bar required. There doesn't seem to be a rear bar, but this isn't recommended on the six swaps as I understand it. Thanks.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jan 24 2004, 11:14 AM)
sweet! go mikey

Seems that PP will be carrying the item soon and the post got pulled.....
Joe Bob
QUOTE(RAR @ Jan 24 2004, 08:26 PM)
Greetings,
I too was wondering about the bar size. It appears 22 is the only one for the fronts. Is this what folks are using for a 3.2 or 3.6 conversion for the street, or is a larger bar required. There doesn't seem to be a rear bar, but this isn't recommended on the six swaps as I understand it. Thanks.

22mm is what I use on my 3.6 911....it's the stock size for the Carrera. More than adequate for the street and occasional track use....
Ira Ramin
I’m sorry to disappoint anyone but the group buy is over. The deadline was 12:00 midnight on Saturday. I had asked for this to be wrapped up quickly but instead of doing that, someone went and posted it on the Pelican board. The person that posted it is out. Now I have some very angry vendors and I have to insist that this is the end. I see 8 people still possibly in. I know who they all are and I can only honor the first five that I receive orders for with payment from Aaron’s supplier by the end of Tuesday. No others will be accepted. I’m sorry for having to handle it this way but unfortunately I have no other choice.

Ira
anthony
What's the point of allowing group buys if they can't be advertised on public chat boards?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Ira Ramin @ Jan 25 2004, 12:34 AM)
I’m sorry to disappoint anyone but the group buy is over.  The deadline was 12:00 midnight on Saturday.  I had asked for this to be wrapped up quickly but instead of doing that, someone went and posted it on the Pelican board.  The person that posted it is out.  Now I have some very angry vendors and I have to insist that this is the end.  I see 8 people still possibly in.  I know who they all are and I can only honor the first five that I receive orders for with payment from Aaron’s supplier by the end of Tuesday.  No others will be accepted.  I’m sorry for having to handle it this way but unfortunately I have no other choice.

Ira

Hey....I asked before doing it....thought I was helping.....so shoot me. headbang.gif

This board is monitored by other boards and blaming ME for the vendors getting pissed off is out of line. I would consider rethinking your comments. They are wrong.....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(anthony @ Jan 25 2004, 08:49 AM)
What's the point of allowing group buys if they can't be advertised on public chat boards?

many manufacturer's -don't- allow group buys. my interpretation of reading what's been posted in this thread is that only a misunderstanding in the distributor agreement with the new distributor acox was working with permitted this in the first place.

Ira could have shut it down immediately but he was trying to be a good guy and let the one that had started up on this board continue.

then it spread even further and pissed off yet another round of people.

Ira's been trying to walk the fine line between keeping this community happy and keeping all his other customers, distributors, and dealers happy. IMO he's done a great job being a stand-up guy letting it go as long as it did. don't make him out to be the bad guy here. [and no, i'm not blaming MikeZ either - this situation was frought with danger from the beginning -- a classic 'no-win' deal ...]

once upon a time, a "group buy" was a handful of local guys who could work a deal with a local distributor. nowadays, that "group" is international and threads like this become parts-brokering sessions.

distributorships and dealerships are often geographic regional deals - sometimes exclusively. it's not fair for a regional distributor to [try to] undercut every other dealer in the country and then have direct shipping from the factory besides. if you were a dealer for a manufacturer who permitted that kind of thing, you'd be wondering why you were bothering to be a dealer at all. (the main reason for being a dealer is to take advantage of the profit margin afforded by your buying volume, and the possible additional installation and "as along as" marketing opportunities. take away the pricing incentive and dealers aren't left with much more ... when we go to a vendor for event "sponsorship" money - where do you think that money comes from, and what do you think the vendor expects he is buying for it ?)

like Ira said - this buy was in full swing by the time he found out about it, and he tried to do the right thing by letting it slide. all after that is simply consequences...
Joe Bob
I find NO fault in your argument Rich.

However, blaming the whole thing collapsing on ME.....for posting on the Pelican board and then further penalizing ME by not allowing me to get in with the discounted purchase, sucks.

I guess Smart Racing will take my money.
anthony
Furthermore other people are now being penalized because he is only accepting the first 5 orders rather than the 8 we have.
Joe Bob
"I" was also part of the original five.....no matter, like I said there are more manufacturers out there.

I WILL not stand for the blame for the deal going tits up, however.
ArtechnikA
I for one don't blame you Mikey - this deal was hanging from a thread from Day One. i didn't want to say anything then because i really wanted it to go through for the people involved, but i was skeptical...

you can only keep the genie in the bottle and Pandora's demons in their box for just so long once the seal is cracked, and there were a dozen issues ready to scuttle this deal.

now you and Ira are pissed at each other, which is too bad, because you're a good customer and he makes good products, but shit happens.
Joe Bob
I ain't pissed....just wanna set the record straight....if'n I was pissed I WOULD BE PISSED....but I aints.....
TimT
This thing is still on right?

I believe I was one of thew first to jump on the bandwagon, hope Im still in..
Aaron Cox
any of your guys want to contact me and arrange shipping and payment
they're more than welcome to reach me on my personal cell at 1-519-503-7565
or at the store at 1-905-822-6234 ext #3 and just ask for Adam.  Otherwise
they're more than welcome to use email at a_roseneck@hotmail.com

here ya go...the first 5 people only. sorry
Joe Bob
All except me of course..... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.