Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT Max Power Load of an Amplifier
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I need to know the max load that an amp will put on a battery when turned up and all speakers loaded!

I know there are some very smart people here who might know how to figure this out, so give it your best!

PS: This is the amp Kicker IX406

Thanks
Spoke
Assuming you will power 6 channels @ 40W RMS,

Total power is 6 x 40W RMS = 240W RMS

Change to peak power: 240W x sqrt(2) = 340W peak

Assuming 100% efficiency of the amp (all power dissipated in speakers), total power input to amp is 340W peak

Watts = Volts x Amps

rearrange:

Amps = Watts/Volts = 340W/14V = 24 Amps peak
jsayre914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 7 2008, 08:34 PM) *

Assuming you will power 6 channels @ 40W RMS,

Total power is 6 x 40W RMS = 240W RMS

Change to peak power: 240W x sqrt(2) = 340W peak

Assuming 100% efficiency of the amp (all power dissipated in speakers), total power input to amp is 340W peak

Watts = Volts x Amps

rearrange:

Amps = Watts/Volts = 340W/14V = 24 Amps peak

agree.gif lol
Jeffs9146
Thanks!! I had just finished a Google search on that exact question and came up with the same info. I did forget about the peak part though!

Thanks piratenanner.gif
Scott Carlberg
Jeff,
I asked my buddy who manages & does the install at a car stereo shop here in Modesto.

Here's what he said:
The Maximum amount of Current that the Amp can draw from the Battery is EQUAL to the amount/Size of the Fuse in the Amp.

NO amp should be able to draw more current than the Fuse in the Amp.
sww914
agree.gif
20 amp fuse X 12v = 240 watts
30 amp fuse X 12v = 360 watts
The 5 channel US amps amplifier I have in my dually uses 3 30 amp fuses.
It's plenty.
Jeffs9146
The Maximum amount of Current that the Amp can draw from the Battery is EQUAL to the amount/Size of the Fuse in the Amp.

That part I knew! And most people dont know that if you put a smaller fuse in the ground wire it will also restrict the amp load as if it was a resistor.

There is still a MAX load and the fuse is 10 - 20% above the rated amp max at full volume.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.