Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch wedge replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tango-52
The rear threaded portion of the clutch cable on my '75 914 1.8 snapped yesterday when my son was driving it. I drove it home with no problems, just no complete stops at stop signs. I have a new cable, but the wedge went away when the old one snapped. I know I can get it from Pelican and AA in a couple of days, but is there a Volkswagon part that is the same that I could find locally today? I even resorted to calling the Porsche dealer and they said it would be a week (sounded like they were going to order it from AA!).
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(tango-52 @ Mar 10 2008, 10:32 AM) *

The rear threaded portion of the clutch cable on my '75 914 1.8 snapped yesterday when my son was driving it. I drove it home with no problems, just no complete stops at stop signs. I have a new cable, but the wedge went away when the old one snapped. I know I can get it from Pelican and AA in a couple of days, but is there a Volkswagon part that is the same that I could find locally today? I even resorted to calling the Porsche dealer and they said it would be a week (sounded like they were going to order it from AA!).

we can put one in a fed ex envelpe and send it for tomorrow. it is steel and a actually a porsche 911 pn.
tango-52
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 10 2008, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(tango-52 @ Mar 10 2008, 10:32 AM) *

we can put one in a fed ex envelpe and send it for tomorrow. it is steel and a actually a porsche 911 pn.

OK, I'll call your order desk now. It just seems like a simple part to be so obscure.
Cevan
I replaced my cluthc cable this winter. The plastic cable end I removed had one side tab broken off. I replaced with a metal one. No worries anymore. I recommend spending the extra $10 and get the metal one.
tango-52
Well, I ordered the metal one from AA for delivery tomorrow. I'm tempted to just take about two inches of steel rod stock of an appropriate diameter and drill a hole through it. This is no concourse queen, it just needs to work!
PeeGreen 914
That could work. Look at the set-up Mark uses or Triad uses. There is a thread from yesterday with both pictures in there. I will find it for you.

Here you go.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=81687
tango-52
Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll fab something to play with when I have time. If nothing else, it would be good to have a couple of spares around. For now, I will just put the new steel one from AA on and go with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.