Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Switching to Carbs - Which Distributor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Just rebuilt my motor and switched to carbs and would ultimately want to buy the Mallory Unilite, but in the meantime I would like to run my motor with one of my existing distributors. The motor has new P&C's and is now a 1911 with the new cam and heads. I have the distributor from a D-Jet and another from an L-Jet - which one should I use and what should I do about the vacuum advance? Or should I just wait until I purchase the Unilite?

Thanks
cgnj
Hi,

I have always gone aftermarket for a distibutor with caqrbs. In the past, I have read and looked at the relative advance curves for djet and ljet distributors. I have read that the ljet distributors have a better advance curve for carbs.

I run a mallory. If I had to run a stock distrbutor, I would tune one, pull it, measure the other. I would use the distributer that gave me the most mechanical advance from idle to full advance, and start saving for a mallory. I do use the vacum advance in my mallory. It is only for cruising high rpm, high vacum to increase gas mileage. If your running carbs this should be a non-issue.

I will be moving my 1.7 mule this week. I can pull out the timing gun and give a definitive answer regarding the merits of the djet/ljet distributor advance curve question later this week.

carlos
Dave_Darling
Run the L-jet one until you can save up for the Mallory.

--DD
pete914
I agree. L -jet vacuum advance dizzy
vesnyder
Thanks guys. I will run the L-jet, but what should I do about the advance - ignore it? Is there any where I can connect it to?
Gint
If you're referring to the vacuum advance, yes, ignore it. The can on the dizzy won't do any advance or retard if a hose isn't hooked up. You'll be running strictly on mechanical advance. That's OK. With the L-Jet dizzy it's not optimal, but it's OK.
vesnyder
Grat guys - Thanks! Full steam ahead on the assembly at least until my next question?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.