Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help W/ Steering Column. .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
Hi guys & gals. .
in my quest to keep myself occupied I decided to remove the ignition switch to re-key to the door key.
Anyhow, I have a 70' and couldn't find a reference ANYWHERE about the early style column.
Nobody cares. . sad.gif
You know the HAYNES manual doesn't even mention an Ignition switch!? assholes. mad.gif
I figured out how to get the switch out, it wasn't too hard.
But turns out you gotta CUT the wires, there are NO plugs on the back- the wires are threaded through from the steering wheel side. Sucks. wink.gif
Question, how interchangable are the early / late columns?
I'd like to upgrade to have the wiper switch on the column and use my wiper switch for foglights. Can I even use my steering wheel on a late column?
I got a funny feeling it aint straight forward though-
Thanks once again for advice-
Robert O
hargray2
I think the early and late columns have different electrical connectors. If I remember correctly, the early cars have a wide connector with a bakelite housing and the late cars have two square white plastic connectors. I believe your steering wheel would interchange though.
SirAndy
i've done exactly that, from '70 to '73 ...

major PITA! smash.gif

and i replaced my complete wire harness with a '73.
which made it a lot easier.

bottomline, most of the wires won't fit a late column
if you don't replace the harness. the wiper switch on yours
is on the dash, not the column. you would have to really
hack into to harness to make that work.

as for the hardware:

- the "receiver" where the column bolts onto the body is a different size. the bolt spacing is OK, but you have to trim the sides of the mounting plate to fit.

- the part of the shaft that runs down between the top joint and the lower joint has a slightly different length and the "grooves" for the bolts are spaced different. you can use the later style shaft, but you have to grind new "grooves"

Andy
914ghost
Sh*t. .I figured as much.
I fI could get the connectors with the late shaft, it would just be a matter of "wiring it up" but the hardware problem sounds like more of a pain.
I did figger out though, just now, the very very small little tiny itty bitty set screw in the side of the switch housing allows teh electrical part to be removed. I though it was for the switch tumblers.
I noticed that as I was removing it if you try real hard you can get the switch out just far enough to peek at this screw. If I had unscrewed it then, my wires would be intact. headbang.gif
pssshhh. .
R O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.