Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TALIMENA 1 Event! (120 Mile Road Tour)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
For the last three years, this has been an informal gathering of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas 914 drivers and their cars. Last year, among all the 914's, we had three 911's attend the event (without incident, brawling, or name calling smile.gif, plus a 944. And this year we may have 3 or 4 Carreras, an early longhood and a Cayman. For whatever reasons, many of the Okie teeners are gone. So while our group size will remain about the same, and air-cooled, we will be more multi-colored... a good opportunity to learn more about the porsche family. And the event will continue it's tradition of being a low cost casual gathering that emphasizes cars and driving.

I look forward to seeing all the beautiful people and their rides!

Here is the updated info for this year.

We will meet in Talihina, OK, at the Talihina Inn. This is a classic "car" motel from the sixties and the rates are very economical (about 40 bucks or so). We have permission to grill hamburgers in the parking lot again Saturday night. Kitty (motel owner) likes our group.

For our tour from Talihina, we will approach State Highway 1, also known as the Talimena National Scenic Byway, or for short, Talimena Drive. This road runs for sixty miles to the town of Mena, AR. Although other states can boast of a larger quantity of twisties, Talimena holds it's own when it comes to a driving challenge, and has been identified as one of the best sportscar roads in America by Car and Driver Magazine and various other car and bike organizations. It extends west to east on top of the ridgeline of Winding Stair Mountain and Rich Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest north of the Kiamichi Mountains.

These sixty miles of highway are filled with sharp curves and 13% grades of unbroken blacktop. There are lots of both low and higher speed turns with many tight switchbacks that are often preceded by steep downhill grades.

Overall, the road surface itself is in very good shape with only occasional, rough areas. There are many scenic vistas that overlook the valleys for pulling over and regrouping, or taking some pics. All of it comes together so nicely, that even if you're temporarily stuck behind a slow moving RV, it's still a cool drive.

Remember, this is a road tour. It is not a race, nor is it a driving competition. If you want to race, I suggest you go elsewhere. In fact, I'd love to see you at my next autocross. All participants are encouraged to drive at their own comfortable pace and obey all traffic laws.

We will tour around Mena, maybe have lunch, and when everyone is ready, get back to the driving task at hand, and tour back to Talihina. After a break, we'll get together for our cookout and favorite beverages. Sunday morning we'll have a nice breakfast before heading home.

This is a fair weather get together. Mild chance of rain will not deter us, however eminent threat of severe precipitation will cancel our plans. Remember, this is a 120 mile round trip - be adequately prepared... or be prepared to be adequately humiliated. smile.gif We will be in touch as the time draws near.

TALIMENA 1 AGENDA

Friday, May 2nd
Just hangin' out for those who don't want to drive down early Saturday morning. Maybe we'll order takeout pizza. Of course we'll need some beer to go with that...

Saturday, May 3rd
9:14am Breakfast at Pams Cafe
10:00am (meet in parking lot of motel)
Kiamichi Inn (504 Dallas St.)
Talihina, OK ( http://www.talihinacc.com/ ).

We'll discuss the tour, swap out some mobile numbers and have a few designated leaders & sweeper.

11:00am We will plan on heading out from Kitty's parking lot for the tour to Mena.

There will be several scenic turnouts we will take advantage of on our way to Mena, AR.

1:30ish We'll have a late lunch in Mena, we will return to the BBQ place we discovered last year.

2:30pm We'll tackle highway 1 for our return to Talihina. We should be back at the motel around 5:00pm or so. We'll take a break and clean up our cars.

7:00pm hamburger/hotdog cookout in the motel parking lot.

Sunday May 4th
9:11am Breakfast at Pam's Cafe and say our goodbyes.

For reservations call 918-567-2243. VERY important, tell "Kitty" or Carmin you're with the 914 group.
NEW 2008 RATES:
1 bed 1-2 people 43.90
2 bed 2-3 people 54.88

If there are no rooms available, just google Talihina OK and there are plenty of other nearby motels.

If you have any questions, call myself (Joseph 405-615-9000), or Clay (817-360-4067).
TheCabinetmaker
Clay, your room is ready. #14 that is. I moved to 30
Joseph Mills
Kitty's phone service has been down for 3 days, but back up now.

Call 918-567-2243 for reservations for the 914 group.

Six rooms booked and 6 left in our name available:

#18 (it's a double)

okieflyr
BUMP!
May the skies be bright, and the roads dry! I would love to make this event, but my wife and I will be traveling back home to OKC for a couple of weeks around the 18th or so. A little too late i'm afraid. sad.gif
Rusty
Hey Joe,

Do you know how many rooms are left?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ Mar 27 2008, 03:21 AM) *

Hey Joe,

Are you coming out to play?

Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Rusty @ Mar 27 2008, 03:21 AM) *

Hey Joe,

We have about five rooms left.

If you arrive in this car below, other than receiving the long distance award...

Click to view attachment

you will also receive a complimentary six pack of...

Click to view attachment

waiting in your room. CHILLED!

Gint
Finally! I get to see a picture of the purple bomb with the polished Fuchs on it.
Rusty
Are you gonna go to this one, Mike?
SGB
Grapette?
yum.

fizzy, like a 914.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ Mar 31 2008, 01:42 AM) *

I don't think Gint is coming. He would get arrested if he goes that far east.

poke.gif
Gint
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 31 2008, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Mar 31 2008, 01:42 AM) *

I don't think Gint is coming. He would get arrested if he goes that far east.

poke.gif
fuclay... and I mean that in the nicest way. cheer.gif

I doubt it. I'd kinda like to, but I've got my car down for the next few weeks as it is and a we have a lot of crap going on in the immediate future.

You guys have fun. Here's a cheap icon_bump.gif
Thoward914
Okay, I just reserved a room, #18.

I guess I'll need to add some water to the 944 for the wife stirthepot.gif and clean up the 911. Or as Clay calls it "the donor car" confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Mar 31 2008, 09:04 PM) *

Okay, I just reserved a room, #18.

I guess I'll need to add some water to the 944 for the wife stirthepot.gif and clean up the 911. Or as Clay calls it "the donor car" confused24.gif

There is something wrong with a guy who owns a perfectly good 914 and won't drive it anywhere but the autocross course.......

C'mon Travis... think about it... a 914 with a 3.2 Motronic, 5 lugs and big 911 Carrera brakes...... poke.gif
Betty
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Mar 27 2008, 03:09 PM) *

you will also receive a complimentary six pack of...

Click to view attachment

waiting in your room. CHILLED!

Gentlemen, gentlemen.... who cares about this engine and mechanical nonsense. There are MUCH more important things to be considering here.... Like figuring out what type of hard liquor mixes well with Grapette Soda?!?!?! I'm thinking vodka (even though I am of the personal opinion that Rum goes with just about everything), although when the question was "hypothetically" posed to a group of friends, Everclear was mentioned...

Any suggestions? These are very important decisions that MUST be made far enough ahead of the event to allow time for the procurement of said beverages!!!

drunk.gif
Rusty
Grape soda makes me gag. Nothing goes with it.

Hmmm... I think we need a banner for this event! smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ Apr 2 2008, 02:54 AM) *

Grape soda makes me gag. Nothing goes with it.

Hmmm... I think we need a banner for this event! smile.gif

Ok. we can get you something else purple colored to eat or drink.

ClayPerrine
Ok.. everyone who is going.. let's check in.

TheCabinetmaker
I'll be there, and I have a peice of fire wood to keep us warm.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 4 2008, 12:16 PM) *

Bolted to the front of your car??? biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 4 2008, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 4 2008, 12:16 PM) *

Bolted to the front of your car??? biggrin.gif

Yep. rear is on and front is at chrome shop, so "woody" is ready for the sacrifice.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 3 2008, 10:03 PM) *

Ok.. everyone who is going.. let's check in.

Okay - I'm going to try and make it. smile.gif

OKIE9ELF GRUPPE

Joseph, Rea & Edith

Matt & Terry

Adam Jackson

Darren Cook

Brian Fairless

I'm really hoping for nice weather for our cookout this year. Nothing beats the mixed aroma of motor oil dripping on heat exchangers & dead animals burning on charcoal...

ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I replaced my motor mounts last weekend, and will do a new clutch this saturday and be ready to go. Would have done clutch last weekend too, but I'm still recovering from the quadruple bypass surgery from february, so I still get tired real easy. Hard turns make the chest muscles hurt, so I'll probably be in the rear of the pack this year. Chashing Richard Fischer with a 2litre is a lesson in futility anyway.
Betty
Man... a quadruple bypass!!! I'm awfully glad you're still around and kicking!!!

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 8 2008, 05:13 PM) *

... I'll probably be in the rear of the pack this year. Chashing Richard Fischer with a 2litre is a lesson in futility anyway.

No kidding! I've only ever once been behind him on any sort of run (he must've gotten held up by an RV for my little 1.8 to have ended up behind him biggrin.gif ).

It was incredible to watch his car pull away from me once the traffic cleared! My only regret is that I didn't take the chance to honk at him because he was slowing me up! driving-girl.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Betty @ Apr 8 2008, 10:27 PM) *

Man... a quadruple bypass!!! I'm awfully glad you're still around and kicking!!!

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 8 2008, 05:13 PM) *

... I'll probably be in the rear of the pack this year. Chashing Richard Fischer with a 2litre is a lesson in futility anyway.

No kidding! I've only ever once been behind him on any sort of run (he must've gotten held up by an RV for my little 1.8 to have ended up behind him biggrin.gif ).

It was incredible to watch his car pull away from me once the traffic cleared! My only regret is that I didn't take the chance to honk at him because he was slowing me up! driving-girl.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif

I actually had Richard gripe at me on the last trip up there because I made him downshift out of 5th gear..... driving.gif
ClayPerrine
driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif

icon_bump.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Got the new clutch in today, and tranni stabed an bolted, then I ran out of gas. I'll change oil, and adjust valves wilst on jackstands and button it back up tomorrow. I'll be ready to go. driving.gif MDB2.gif rocking nana.gif red914.jpg
ClayPerrine
I still have to replace a rear wheel bearing....... smash.gif
Joseph Mills
I'm nearly ready.

I gotta install my 12V wine cooler...

Then I'm ready. biggrin.gif

Motel room UPDATE:

Talked to Kitty today and there are only two rooms left.

Room #28 & 29.

In two days, we will have to let those rooms go.

So... make your move.

Her phone number is at the top of this thread.

Now back to my wine cooler...

Rusty
Do they make a 12v cooler for boxed wine? blink.gif
ClayPerrine
Wine cooler???

Joseph.. you are a 914 owner at heart.... So you need to get some Tickled Pink and some spray cheeze to keep in that wine cooler. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
This is where we are going......

Click to view attachment
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 16 2008, 11:25 PM) *

Wine cooler???
Joseph.. you are a 914 owner at heart.... So you need to get some Tickled Pink and some spray cheeze to keep in that wine cooler. biggrin.gif

Rusty - Clay -

Well yeah, I guess you got me pegged...

But Hey! What's wrong with box wine & cheese whiz? mad.gif

TheCabinetmaker
don't forget some of these

ClayPerrine
Ok. last night I got off my dead @ss and got out in the garage. I pulled the rear suspension off my car, and started working to change it out... DWD rears it's ugly head... I am replacing the whole rear suspension just because I have a bad wheel bearing.

I got the new springs on the shocks, and started working on the trailing arms so they can mount the 911 park brakes, and we had a really bad thunderstorm roll through the area. So we raised my car up, and double stacked the 914s. Then we put the BMW in the garage.

Now tonight I will get moving on the suspension again. Hopefully I can get the brakes on it and get them in the car.

I may show up a Talamena with no park brake, but I will be there.

Rusty
To anyone headed to Talimena... I'm in the market for a clean targa top.

Lemme know. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ Apr 18 2008, 12:00 PM) *

To anyone headed to Talimena... I'm in the market for a clean targa top.

Lemme know. smile.gif

I have one. Want me to bring it with me?
ClayPerrine
Ok.. progress report.

I got the new rear trailing arms installed, and I got one of the new style park brake cables done. I found a way to use a stock 914 park brake cable with the 911 parking brake assembly. I will take pictures for a future article on how to do it.

Tomorrow after work I am going to get the other side done, and get the front calipers changed. Then I will bleed the brakes and align the car.

Then I can align the wifes car too.....

Busy busy....... gotta be ready for Talimena. driving.gif
ClayPerrine
Well now this sucks..

I got my car put back together.. and I managed to f*ck up the right rear wheel bearing while installing it....... headbang.gif

Everything else is done, including the alignment.

Now I get to do it again.. before the AX on Sunday.

ClayPerrine
Leaving a week from Friday....

TheCabinetmaker
Well damn! I was looking the car over yesterday and discovered both rear tires were worn through the top layer of rubber on the inside. No steel showing through yet, but now I "gotta" get new tires. Anyone with experience with the Yokohama ES 100s?
Thoward914
Curt,

I like the ES100's, they are the tires I AX on. I'm starting my third season on them (they won't last the whole season) but over all have good tire wear. I liked them so much I got another set for my wife's 944. I can't comment on how they preform in the rain or how the road noise is because I have a set of Falken ZE-512 I drive on the streets. They are an okay yellowsleep[1].gif all season tire. If Clay can shame me into driving the 914 instead of the 911, I'll have the Falken's because the ES100's don't have much tread left and are slightly flat spotted. dry.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Apr 23 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Curt,

I like the ES100's, they are the tires I AX on. I'm starting my third season on them (they won't last the whole season) but over all have good tire wear. I liked them so much I got another set for my wife's 944. I can't comment on how they preform in the rain or how the road noise is because I have a set of Falken ZE-512 I drive on the streets. They are an okay yellowsleep[1].gif all season tire. If Clay can shame me into driving the 914 instead of the 911, I'll have the Falken's because the ES100's don't have much tread left and are slightly flat spotted. dry.gif

Bring the 914.....not the taildragger "Donor Car"...

You will have more fun in the 914. Think of it as an extended Time Trial. You know that the 914 handles better, thats why you AX it and not the 911.

Now if I could only convince you to put the 3.2 in the 914..... poke.gif

Joseph Mills
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 23 2008, 02:47 PM) *

Well damn! I was looking the car over yesterday and discovered both rear tires were worn through the top layer of rubber on the inside. No steel showing through yet, but now I "gotta" get new tires. Anyone with experience with the Yokohama ES 100s?

Curt - I have two Kumho Ecsta's (711) that are 215/55 R15 that are brand new.

They're yours for picking up.

They fit with plenty of clearance on Sparky - not sure if they will fit a stock fender well - anybody know?

TheCabinetmaker
Wow, thanks Joe. I had to roll the fender lip for the 205s to fit. Doubt the 215s would work.
SGB
Bump for the Grapette.
ClayPerrine
Ok.. I got my car put back together... finally.. last night about 4 PM. Took it to the PCA AX today, I had all of 5 miles on the brakes.

Bloody brake pads... Now it has a ear piercing squeal when braking.

Time to break out the smurf squeezins to get it to stop squeaking. And I have to fix the fan on the oil cooler too. Something got into it and is making noise...

It never ends.

But on the bright side...

We leave on Friday.

TheCabinetmaker
Joseph, good to see you and Rae on Sunday, and thanks again for the tires. Got them mounted today and I can't believe they actually fit without rolling the fender lip. I never dreamed 215s would fit on VW spec western wheels with the wrong backset but they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Kuhmo 55s are actually a tad taller than the Yoko 60s.

Talimena, we're on our way. smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif red914.jpg 351.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.