Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 throttle linkage - update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
last year root and i got my 1972 v8 914 on the road - but i felt like power was low and that the 4 barrels were not opening up. the last time i was at root's he watched the linkage at the carb to see what kind of range i was getting - it was about 50%.

well yesterday i made an adjustment - and have dramatically increaed the range but still not enough to get the 4 barrels to kick in.

regardless - she hauls ass now biggrin.gif

i do not use 1st gear - i use 2nd as first - and moments ago i had her at 100mph in 4th - i sorts felt like i was in a space shuttle about to break thru the atmosphere. i think i need chuck yeager to see what top speed is - as currently set up - cause i ain't got the balls to find out for myself popcorn[1].gif
LvSteveH
You've got the right idea, moving it closer to the throttle shaft centerline. I usually pull from the other side, but as long as your cable is long enough it doesn't really matter.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I probably wouldn't go any closer than you have it now. Chances are your problem is down at the pedal. You need to check the throttle stop and make sure there's no carpet etc in the way. If you can't resolve it that way or by lengthening the pedal rod then it's similar to what you did with the carb linkage. You can lengthen the arm on the pedal cluster where the throttle cable attaches. You don't want to make it too long or the throttle will be an on/off switch, but it shouldn't take much to get it set up properly.
messix
get rid of that coffe stir straw of a air filter.
jimkelly
thanks guys.

yeah - are filter has got to be replaced with a bigger one : )

linkage at the peddle - i need to look at that.

jim
Dr. Roger
Hey Jim, it's easy to check your pedal. Just get your head down there and push on the pedal and see how much the throttle linkage travels. It really isn't very much as I found the first time around. Getting closer to the throttle plate shaft did fix my issue.

What sucks is that the ideal place for the cable to connect is between the two pre-existing holes. Of course. dry.gif

You'll get it right. I've got faith in ya'. slap.gif av-943.gif

aktion035.gif driving.gif

jimkelly
the adjustment i did probably is letting me experience about 225-250 hp or so. wow - driving this thing is getting funner by the minute : ))

can't wait to be putting all my ponies to the pavement.

i will try to get a video soon.

jim
drive-ability
I had a similar deal, I made a extension on the throttle pedal side, turned out to work perfict... I'll look for a picture
jimkelly
short 914 V8 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2IrUqefKTw

jim
Dr. Roger
Hey Jim!

That car of yours sounds great. A sleeper with a little attitude.

I was crackin' up listening to the soundtrack on your video.

laugh.gif
jimkelly
dr

thanks - my son took about 10 little videos - at first i thought none were good enough to share - but this one is a gem.

i wanted to show the acceleration - but humor is ok too : )

jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.