Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tailshift to side shift conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Hey gents I am converting my 70 914-8 with a tailshift to a sideshift. My question is the linkage completely different front to back? Or is it just from the firewall back. I have everything to do it front to back but wondered if it was all needed. Not sure if the linkage in the center tunnel along with the shifter are different between the 2 setups. Just don't want to go thru the hassle of swaping parts that don't need swapped.

As far as having everything I am sure I need some new bushings. What else do I need? Also on my side shift tranny the case is chipped where the odometer cable screws in. I have a parts tranny. Will that whole rear piece come off easily? Any tricks I need to know to swap that back piece? Thanks in advance
brant
this comes up about 1x a month
you need the actual shifter and the front rod parts.... mounts, etc

Check Here
9146FAN
I did the conversion for my six. You will need specific "side-shifter" parts as follows:

Shifter
Shift Rod In Tunnel
Shift Rod from firewall to trans with Coupler
Bushing at Firewall to convert
Linkage Boot and Cover
Rear linkage swivel with cup bushing
+
Side-Shift Transmission,
or convert your old real shift trans:
all 3 Internal Trans Shift Rods with selectors and Forks
Side Shift Linkage Console
Rear Trans Cover

It's a lot of work, but it will make a major difference. On a V-8, you may need to fabricate the rear linkage rod.

biosurfer1
I did this conversion while the good Dr. was rebuilding my tranny... all I can say is be careful when you finish and shift how you think it should shift, not how it was shifting. My 1st gear was way off, same with 4th...after the rebuild and conversion I kept looking for them where they used to be, but now everything lines up the way it should.

sounds weird but you'll see.
Bills914-4

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you have to change the Engine
Mount & Bar. If not all the better (maybe I need to give the good DR.
a call and change my plans)

Thanks Bill
jr91472
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Mar 31 2008, 01:46 AM) *

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you have to change the Engine
Mount & Bar. If not all the better (maybe I need to give the good DR.
a call and change my plans)

Thanks Bill

Yes, engine mount bar must be switched out as well. Not to mention the associated inboard and outboard engine mounts.

But the knob on your shifter is compatible biggrin.gif Everything else...not so much.
rhodyguy
jamie, can you post a picture of the current engine support bar/engine attachment setup?

k
JRust
The engine mount bar I think will be okay. Looks like there is the space needed but I'll take that rear piece of linkage & see what it looks like next to it. I kind of suspected the whole side shift setup needed to go in. Just making sure!

I plan on replacing all the bushings. There is a kit that includes all the bushings on the Bird for like $55. It is specific for a sideshift conversion. SO I am assuming there must be a slight difference in the bushings. Ealry linkage to late? Different diameter of the actual linkage maybe? Anyway I'll be ordering it later today. Thanks for the help & the link. I want to get it right & make sure I have everything needed. Nothing worse than starting something & being short a part. Then having to wait a week for the part so you can finish headbang.gif
GeorgeRud
If you're putting a side shifter system into an early car, you need the firewall bushing that holds the later style, smaller diameter bar in the early, larger hole in the firewall.

Basically, change every part between the shift knob to the transmission. It does make a difference however!
Trevorg7
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 30 2008, 09:34 PM) *

this comes up about 1x a month
you need the actual shifter and the front rod parts.... mounts, etc

Check Here

Check the link Brant posted, which is quoted above. Within the thread there is a pretty good list of what is needed.

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.