Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New spring queastions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kojo2001
Hi
I need to replace my rear springs and not sure if I should get the 100lb street or 140lb autocross? I will mainly be driving street but some twistys too. What do recommend biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
got front and/or rear sway bars?
kojo2001
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 31 2008, 09:22 PM) *

got front and/or rear sway bars?

Thanks for the responce. I am surprised I only have gotten 1 opinion is my 914 the only one with rear springs??? sad.gif
jd74914
We really need more information to help . . .
blitZ
I believe the rule of thumb is if you increase stiffness on the rear you need to do it on the front. If you don't have at least a stock front sway bar, going to 140lb springs my produce some over steer. Heavier springs will also boot you from stock class in SCCA.

Unfortunately, it's not an easy, straight forward answer. You may want to stick to 100lb springs, unless you are ready to make some additional changes to the front.
kojo2001
QUOTE(blitZ @ Apr 1 2008, 07:37 AM) *

I believe the rule of thumb is if you increase stiffness on the rear you need to do it on the front. If you don't have at least a stock front sway bar, going to 140lb springs my produce some over steer. Heavier springs will also boot you from stock class in SCCA.

Unfortunately, it's not an easy, straight forward answer. You may want to stick to 100lb springs, unless you are ready to make some additional changes to the front.

Thanks smile.gif
Dave_Darling
You want "an answer"? 100 lbs.

You want a "correct" answer? We need more info about your suspension setup. Particularly, what if any sway bars do you have?

--DD
purple
I have 140 lb springs on new bilsteins and have removed my rear swaybar.

I did this because it was WAAAAY to ass-happy otherwise. removing the rear bar made the back end stay behind the front a lot better. I have front sways though. stock torsion bars and factory sway. green bilsteins up front.

i like the setup, drives really nice and comfortable, much more so than my 07 MINI cooper on H&R springs

rjames
I'm interested in this topic too. Would 140lbs springs be too stiff for a car with a stock sway bar?
purple
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 1 2008, 11:59 AM) *

I'm interested in this topic too. Would 140lbs springs be too stiff for a car with a stock sway bar?

I highly doubt it. My MINI rides like a go kart compared to the 914. The 914 is a nice country squire by comparison!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.