Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deep 6s and tubeless tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Search turned up a fair amount of good info on running tubless tires on early deep 6s, but before I pull the trigger on buying a set, I would reaaaally feel good about getting confirmation on a couple points:

1. Anyone witnessed firsthand that this is a bad or dangerous idea? Since the early (non-J) wheels don't have the tire bead, some people seem to think that there *might* be some risk in running tubless tires on them. Is this pure speculation?

2. I read a post that I can't seem to find now indicating that a special valve stem of some type is required to run tubless tires on the deeps. Is this true, and if so, can anyone provide more info on this (what, where, how much, etc.)?

3. Lastly, it sounds like tires are mounted on the deep 6s from the back of the wheel, and that a "European" tire machine is required. Now I'm getting nervous about taking them to, say, Les Schwab. Would the local Porsche dealer/shop be a better move?

Thanks much! beerchug.gif

Reid
horizontally-opposed
1. Risk may be real. But I ran tubeless tires on deep sixes for 16 years of hard backroad driving and occasional autocross and one trackday up at your PIR with no problems. That said, I would not *recommend* doing do.

2. That would make sense, as Harvey Weidman does a mod for $20 per wheel to the valve stem area to make them safe for tubeless tires. I just had that done when I refinished my wheels. But my car always used whatever stems were available in the past, sometimes mounted by specialty shops, sometimes by Costco when I worked there in high school and knew the shop guys, and then Big O once in a pinch. So....

3. Where you go matters less than who does it. They will hate you for your deep sixes due to the dropcenters that deep sixes have. They can make it hard on tire guys, but a good one will be able to do it (though he might need help if you choose R-compound tires). I think Harvey told me he uses 2-3 guys to mount up deep sixes.

As usually applies on this board, others may know more than me...

Best,

pete
brer
there is a truck valve stem that fits them perfectly.
stubby one, tr14? 19? can't remember.

They will hate you when mounting them, make sure they agree that the rim wont be damaged, and the tire goes over the rear lip first!

Put diapers on the mounting machine clamp as it is clamped on that purty lip.

good luck
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.