Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 Engine Compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pek771
I'm getting the track unit ready. I figured I'd do a little cleanup in the engine bay.
I'm curious as to what everyone's looks like. I'm mostly interested in the structure. I found some welding on the suspension consoles, so I did a bit of extra cutting to investigate further.

I'm also wondering if the cage tie-in needs to go all the way to the shock towers? I may need to weld in a small bar on both sides from the cage supports.
TIA
Pat

Click to view attachment

pek771
Click to view attachment
I haven't got the hang of attaching photos yet...

pek771
Click to view attachment
J P Stein
OK, here's mine.
J P Stein
Brought the down tubes farther back than yours.
J P Stein
oops, wrong pic
brant
looks like some owner may have had a tear or ovaling of the rear swingarm mounting points/console.

very common
braces are a very good thing

brant
and
effutuo101
Here is mine....
effutuo101
and now for the picture...
Gint
Mine looks like this... smile.gif

IPB Image
9146FAN
Mine looks like this too.
degreeoff
well my fav....I liked the reflection off the glass! aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

and two....

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(pek771 @ Apr 5 2008, 03:42 PM) *

What does yours look like???

mostly engine ...
biggrin.gif Andy

pek771
Thanks guys!
JP, that's where I was thinking the cage should have went back to.
brant, I'm assuming you have no cage? I like your bracing, but why the Heim joint brace?
Pat
iamchappy
Here's mine, it's kinda crowded in there...
effutuo101
so pretty. Oh so pretty.
J P Stein
The shock towers become a weak spot when you start jackin' up spring rates....I think the number here is about 250 lbs. Couple that with the poor joint design & welds, tower to long....maybe that's unfair....the car wasn't designed for this..at any rate, it becomes a problem. After running springs in excess of this for a few years I found cracking/failed welds at the bottom juncture, firewall to towers. So, yes, down tubes farther aft is mo better, me thinks. Seal welding everything from the fwd bulkhead to the trans mount is also a good plan.

Don't over look the front end either. Bridging the front & rears together is the best thing I ever did to the chassis...same seal welding. This makes it "a piece."
brant
QUOTE(pek771 @ Apr 6 2008, 10:22 AM) *

Thanks guys!
brant, I'm assuming you have no cage? I like your bracing, but why the Heim joint brace?
Pat

Pat,
mine runs in a vintage club
most vintage clubs and even production classes in other clubs don't allow suspension points to be tied into the cage.

so I have a cage, but not allowed to pass through any bulkheads or to any suspension points.

all additional bracing (per my rules) must be bolt in, not welded in
those heim joints are bolt in aluminum

I've got ton's of pictures in THIS THREAD
brant
engine bay:
GaroldShaffer
/6 install starting this week piratenanner.gif

brant
garold,

the swing arm mounted console support rods have more clearance on a -4 than on a -6

your going to have to play with the sheet metal likely
when we built our -4 we had braces to the dimple on the firewall (similar to yours). When we built the -6 we had to run them straight forward to gain clearance. Especially for valve adjustments.

brant
jaybird840
Hey Garold,
Do you have any sketches of your oil routing? I'm starting a six conversion this spring, and will prolly use a roundy-round car oil tank like yours. Any pros/cons/advice would be great. thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.