Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Brake light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I bought a LED universal brake light on Ebay for about $8. I bought as short a light as I could get.(24 LED's and about 7 1/2" long) I took it apart and determined that it could fit into my roll bar trim. Since I just bought a parts car I felt I had an extra roll bar trim to experiment with...so I did. The trim will be painted black so it should blend in even better.
I've yet to mount it on the car, it will be tight but I think I can make it work.
Either way, for $8 it was worth the dream of a nice high mounted brake light.
dw914er
very cool
TINCAN914
Cool let us know how it works out. How will you wire it? Just hook it up to the existing brake lights?
SirAndy
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Apr 5 2008, 08:11 PM) *

Cool let us know how it works out. How will you wire it? Just hook it up to the existing brake lights?

you could run the wire behind the trim all the way down one side, exit at the bottom of the trim into the engine bay and from there to the rear brake lights ...
idea.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
You know...

That's a "really" good idea.

I don't know how many teeners have been rear ended (settle down Slits). I have this theory that because of the low nature of our cars and the multitude of larger vehicles on the road, we have a taillight issue.

This is one of the first truly "clean" installs I've seen. Keep us posted.
lotus_65
I was hoping to do this, but the LED's I got where too long and didn't sit as flush with the trim as I'd hoped so I didn't do it.

I'm looking forward to your install!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have mine mounted to the engine tray. I agree with Eric we need all the extra

light back there we can get.

Does any one have experence with LED'S in tail lights, Are they that brighter

and installation ease? Dave slap.gif
gopack
Great idea! I wish I had thought of that!
here is my solution to the same problem. (brake light from a Honda Del Sol, also on ebay, $25) THe details are in my (lack of) progress thread in my sig line!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Katmanken
Nice work...

Making a clean slot in a "U" channel can be quite pissy. I can see a lotta careful filing and fitting. Got a seal to prevent water ingress?

Ken
roadster fan
Nice smilie_pokal.gif Keep us posted on the progress of the install, very creative.

Jim
GeorgeRud
There was a car at the SMOG Midwest Gathering 2 years ago that did the same thing using the 3rd brake light from a Ford GT, and it looked great. He did have to notch the rollbar to fit the LEDs in, but the final effect was wonderful. There was a thread on his install on the old list, not sure if it's available anywhere anymore.

I rushed and bought the light, but still have not gotten around to modifying my car. Maybe this summer!
tracks914

you could run the wire behind the trim all the way down one side, exit at the bottom of the trim into the engine bay and from there to the rear brake lights ...
idea.gif Andy

Andy that's my plan. I figure I might have to notch out the roll bar a bit, but the wiring will be the easy part.
To seal it I plan to use good old RTV silicone. Since I don't drive in the rain or snow, the only water my 914's see is from the hose when I wash it.

As for cutting the hole, I started with a drill bit, then used a jig saw /metal blade, then a dremel tool to clean it up and finally a file to smooth the edges and square the corners. It's been quite easy so far.
I'll take pictures when I get it installed, probably in the next couple of months... I now have a parts car (P4) to tear down and store all the good parts before I continue with P2.
Spoke
Nice idea, I like it. I've been rear ended in my red 914 and I like the 3rd brake light in the roll trim. A brake light that high is about even with the normal brake lights on SUVs.
retrofit
beerchug.gif I Like It! Clean solution to a common problem.
Allen
rascobo
Nice! I've used several different thin fixtures mounted to the underside of roll bar over the years,(Caddy STS w/intrigrated
turn signals and aftermarket heat re-formed pickup light bars) but none as clean as your inset solution(s). Now a new project to add to the list.
Garland
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 6 2008, 05:37 PM) *

There was a car at the SMOG Midwest Gathering 2 years ago that did the same thing using the 3rd brake light from a Ford GT, and it looked great. He did have to notch the rollbar to fit the LEDs in, but the final effect was wonderful. There was a thread on his install on the old list, not sure if it's available anywhere anymore.

I rushed and bought the light, but still have not gotten around to modifying my car. Maybe this summer!

Here it is (the link to my 3rd brake light posting)
ericread
Does much light reflect back into the passnger area form the back window whenn the light is engaged? It looks really, really good, but I am concerned about light backwash.
TravisNeff
I have one on my engine lid, there is no lightwash from the light into the passenger compartment.
tracks914
Just an update. I installed the light on my car. I had to trim most of the bottom lip off the inside of the trim piece to get it to fit without grinding away any of the roll bar but it worked pretty good. The trim will be painted black to match the rest of the trim on the car and the ends of the light will have to be sealed but I am happy with the finished product.
Cap'n Krusty
Nice ........................ I did Gwen's something like that, I think. Been a few years, and I disremember perzackly. FWIW, mounting it on the engine lid kinda defeats the concept of "center high mounted stop light", doesn't it?

The Cap'n
SGB
I'll bet it looks quite nice with the top on, too.
tracks914
Nobody noticed the seats??? (and the gray interior?)
TravisNeff
I noticed the seats, what are they out of?
tracks914
88 Corolla.
6freak
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jul 2 2008, 11:11 AM) *

88 Corolla.

letters on the engine lid appear to be very close togather..very nice work on the brake lite
TravisNeff
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jul 2 2008, 11:11 AM) *

88 Corolla.

Tease..........
seanery
looks great!

more pics of the interior?
tracks914
Soon to come as a new thread.
euro911
thumb3d.gif
Mblizzard
Not entirely in line with the third tail light but seeing that some have gone to great lengths to install flashing brake lights, I ran across these http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-...asher/923/2274/

I have not used them and it is likely these have been discussed but I thought I would at least throw it out there.
76-914
I thought this might re-emerge after the most recent rear end collision in Orange. I think I'm going to do it this time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.