Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damnit: Worlds fastest clutch tube repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So I went out to adjust my shifter. It went fine. I was ready to go out and go for a ride....and the clutch pedal goes to the floor dry.gif So I decide to just pull the damn tube as it is already being held in the front end by a conduit clamp (has been doing very well for over 6 years) and it is the fire wall weld that gave up. Pull the tube, braise on a thick washer, reinstall, good to go smile.gif About 1hr.
championgt1
Holy stromberg.gif . That is some fast work! aktion035.gif
Trevorg7
You never cease to amaze Mike.

T
Dr. Roger
Where's the "This thread is worthless without pics" smilie?

biggrin.gif

Good work. I may need this fix someday.... driving.gif
So.Cal.914
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
McMark fixed the clutch tube in my car in about 15 minutes. smile.gif Welded, not clamped.

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 7 2008, 10:58 PM) *

McMark fixed the clutch tube in my car in about 15 minutes. smile.gif Welded, not clamped.

--DD

That's nothing. He fixed the fan belt tossing alternator in my car three times in two days and tossed in a carb linkage repair for good measure... Then wrote a how-to and published it here. That burger boy has some mad skillz! biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Welding it in the car would have been a bad idea considering the fuel lines are about 1/4 inch from it. That is why I removed and then welded. smile.gif
type47
well, looks like medical school is good for somethin'....... biggrin.gif

Dr Evil
Ya, but I am not as good as Mark tongue.gif bootyshake.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 8 2008, 03:56 AM) *

--DD

That's nothing. He fixed the fan belt tossing alternator in my car three times in two days and tossed in a carb linkage repair for good measure... Then wrote a how-to and published it here. That burger boy has some mad skillz! biggrin.gif

What was the issue with the alternator tossing fan belts?
I have one that refuses to keep a belt on at high RPMS...I have to put it back on after each run at the autox to charge up the battery and I am sick if getting burned...

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 8 2008, 04:30 AM) *

Welding it in the car would have been a bad idea considering the fuel lines are about 1/4 inch from it. That is why I removed and then welded. smile.gif

wuss ... biggrin.gif

i just threw a wet rag over the fuel lines and had the fire extinguisher handy (just in case) ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
scotty b
This one time at band camp Mark took his ....oh wait I'm not supposed to tell that one unsure.gif So uh clutch tubes huh.........LOOK IT"S MILES WITH A SQUIRREL !!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 8 2008, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 8 2008, 03:56 AM) *

--DD

What was the issue with the alternator tossing fan belts?
I have one that refuses to keep a belt on at high RPMS...I have to put it back on after each run at the autox to charge up the battery and I am sick if getting burned...

Rich

Rich,
There is 'some' adjustment front to rear but in my case, I mounted the pulley on front of the alternator backasswards. Since you are making me pull my pants down in front of everyone.
Andyrew
I had mine clamped for a year, then I finally did it proper when I thought how tacky (yet effective) the clamps were..
jimtab
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 8 2008, 04:30 AM) *

HaH....no guts no air medal.....
Andyrew
I welded mine in the car!! Actually I welded from outside of the tunnel; father inside with a fire extinguisher...
Dr Evil
I actually braised, I dont have a welder or the equipment. So, it would have been a MAP flame for prolonged periods of time concomitantly heating my fuel lines and burning all my cables and other stuff.
zymurgist
Anybody wanna weld my 911 shift rod? I've already replaced it, but I think the old one is repairable.
914werke
So is there a pictorial "how to repair a broken clutch tube" thread?
I was replacing a cable yesterday installed the new and started adjusting the
pedal when TWANG flippin thing ripped free. DOH! headbang.gif

Im mean compleatly WTF.gif

The Firewall is already ripped, so looks like Im fixing it the WE if I can get some help.

Its supposed to run along the Drivers side of the tunnel correct? So if your carefull you should be able to weld wo lighting up the fuel lines (on opposite side) confused24.gif

Or do I have to pull the fuel lines?

Ive seen quite a few cars where the PO has cut the tunnel up to preform the repair. Is that really necessary?
rjames
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 14 2008, 11:30 AM) *

So is there a pictorial "how to repair a broken clutch tube" thread?
I was replacing a cable yesterday installed the new and started adjusting the
pedal when TWANG flippin thing ripped free. DOH! headbang.gif

Im mean compleatly WTF.gif

The Firewall is already ripped, so looks like Im fixing it the WE if I can get some help.

Its supposed to run along the Divers side of the tunnel correct? So if your carefull you should be able to weld wo lighting up the fuel lines (on opposite side) confused24.gif

Or do I have to pull the fuel lines?

Ive seen quite a few cars where the PO has cut the tunnel up to preform the repair. Is that really necessary?

Ye ask, ye shall receive:

Link to more work for you
914werke
Thanks I found it just after I posted. It looks like I might have to pull the motor to do this up right. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.