Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motormeister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dave29
A number of months ago, I purchased a 914-6 whose motor was rebuilt by Motormeister. When I took my car to my mechanic, I brought along all the receipts including those for the motor. The car ran fine however, the receipt didn't list the cam type or profile only "regrind". I wanted to find out.
I called Motormeister and spoke to a very nice woman who said to fax the question to them and they would respond. I did so and also sent the name of the previous owner, his address and the work order and invoice numbers. After 2 weeks with no response, I again fax'd the information. That was about 4 weeks ago. No response.
Since I don't have any experience or know anything about Motormeister, do you think I should consider this a dead issue? Could they possibly have gone out of business since I sent my inquiry? Does anyone know these people?
Thanks
dave29
Brando
It's too bad that they haven't gone out of business.

If it says "regrind" I could only assume that (maybe) they put in cams reground to stock profile. Although, I would more than likely consider they just re-used the cams if they were worn within their spec, or replaced with ones worn but within their spec.

I would just consider the engine a rebuildable core and start the drop and teardown.
SLITS
Motor Meister Inc. 12262 Woodruff Avenue Downey, California 90241

They're still there .................
Bleyseng
their spec is.....Hey isn't that crank kinda rusty???No, its still in spec..
Isn't that Nikasil worn off?? Nah, install it cuz no one will no.

dave29
Sounds like Motormeister will not be calling anytime soon and I should expect a suprise in my future!
Ferg
QUOTE(dave29 @ Apr 10 2008, 03:52 PM) *

Sounds like Motormeister will not be calling anytime soon and I should expect a suprise in my future!

Not always...

This sounds like it may be the car I sold a few years back to Peter ??? If so I could help by putting you in touch with the local mechanic here that worked on it, and maybe he could shed some light.

Ferg beerchug.gif
dave29
Thanks Ferg! It is the Peter A. car. I appreciate the help.
Best
dave29
P.S The car is going to Durango Co. this fall so it will be back in cold country.
Ferg
Very cool, I will pm you my number.

Ferg beerchug.gif
Rav914
Ummm. Not to stir up the hornet's nest, but maybe you should go to Pelican Parts and do a search for "motormeister" and "motorsheister" on their forum. It may take a few hours to read.
drgchapman
I'll bet that nice gal on the phone was new, maybe first or second day......
John
Could someone please explain something to me? I have been around for some time and have read post after post about HORRIBLE things from Motormeister (motorshister or whatever you may want to call them).

How can they stay in business if they are such a bad company?

If one were to buy one of the kits they offer and everything is checked and measured, how can it be as bad as I keep reading?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to buy anything. I'm just wondering....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dave29 @ Apr 10 2008, 04:22 PM) *

A number of months ago, I purchased a 914-6 whose motor was rebuilt by Motormeister. When I took my car to my mechanic, I brought along all the receipts including those for the motor. The car ran fine however, the receipt didn't list the cam type or profile only "regrind". I wanted to find out.
I called Motormeister and spoke to a very nice woman who said to fax the question to them and they would respond. I did so and also sent the name of the previous owner, his address and the work order and invoice numbers. After 2 weeks with no response, I again fax'd the information. That was about 4 weeks ago. No response.
Since I don't have any experience or know anything about Motormeister, do you think I should consider this a dead issue? Could they possibly have gone out of business since I sent my inquiry? Does anyone know these people?
Thanks
dave29

Oh! You got the one that didn't blow up! Congratulations. Don't wait by the mailbox. They will not be getting back to you. barf.gif
Eric_Shea

Because there's more Porsche's in Southern California then there are in Germany and, not everyone checks the online forums.
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 10 2008, 04:33 PM) *

Motor Meister Inc. 12262 Woodruff Avenue Downey, California 90241

They're still there .................

Run 'away' as fast as possible
Joe Bob
I have a friend, yes...I have friends....that has a small bore MM motor, he beats the snot out of it.

I'm not saying they all are like that, just his has held together and leaks less than my 3.6.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(John @ Apr 10 2008, 08:53 PM) *

Could someone please explain something to me? I have been around for some time and have read post after post about HORRIBLE things from Motormeister (motorshister or whatever you may want to call them).

If one were to buy one of the kits they offer and everything is checked and measured, how can it be as bad as I keep reading?

How do they stay in business? Advertising, my friend, advertising. Why do people still buy fuel line magnets, Slick 50, K&N Filters, and Split Fire spark plugs?

The Cap'n
ericread
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 11 2008, 08:50 AM) *

How do they stay in business? Advertising, my friend, advertising. Why do people still but fuel line magnets, Slick 50, K&N Filters, and Split Fire spark plugs?

The Cap'n

Ooh, fuel magents!!! Mine has gotten old and doesn't work so well any more. ANybody know where I can get new ones? I need the ones for regular-grade gasoline. av-943.gif stirthepot.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(dave29 @ Apr 10 2008, 04:22 PM) *

Thanks
dave29

I did the same and had the same response - which was NONE. Whe I called to check the status - Nice woman on the phone stating that it was on her desk and that I'd have it later that day ---- three years ago!

*Some* of their engines have lasted with no problems - others have grenaded within miles of their shop. Complete roll o' the dice - IMHO.

I had my local mechanic check my car out AFTER I bought it and learned of MM's spotty reputation. (Yes, I had a HOLY SH*T moment after reviewing the receipts!) Have an oil leak, but other than that - the leak down looked good as well as everything else he checked.

He was as surprised as anyone to find that is was a *good* engine. (Receipts showed a significant number of new parts, not just "cleaned and inspected". Maybe that was the difference.)
jd74914
Hopefully you have new parts in your engine, and someone didn't just pay for them. dry.gif

Since it appears good hopefully you'll be ok. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 11 2008, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 11 2008, 08:50 AM) *

How do they stay in business? Advertising, my friend, advertising. Why do people still but fuel line magnets, Slick 50, K&N Filters, and Split Fire spark plugs?

The Cap'n

Ooh, fuel magents!!! Mine has gotten old and doesn't work so well any more. ANybody know where I can get new ones? I need the ones for regular-grade gasoline. av-943.gif stirthepot.gif

Sure! Harbor Freight. Really. The Cap'n
dw914er
i take it that they aren't a very good shop lol

question though, is there a place that offers similar packages (914-6 conversions) but are more reliable?

mein_tag
Die motormeister ist die Scheiße meister... stromberg.gif
roflmfao
jaminM3
QUOTE(dw914er @ Apr 11 2008, 03:04 PM) *

i take it that they aren't a very good shop lol

question though, is there a place that offers similar packages (914-6 conversions) but are more reliable?

They just sell "remanufactured" porsche 6 cylinder motors. As far as I know they don't do /6 conversions, but there are plenty of shops that do.
dw914er
i remember seeing their website and it had everything you needed to swap in a 911 motor into a 914, engine and all.

i havnt done alot of research though about the swap (well, the companies and where to get all the parts)

i just know that motormeister has a very bad reputation
PanelBilly
I've visited their shop. They have the inventory to do it right and some of the staff have the knowledge and skills to build the engines correctly.

As with any vendor, you need to pay them enough to do the job to your expectations. If your just after the lowest cost, you can expect that they will cut the quality somewhere.

Joe Bob
Where there is smoke, there's fire.

I would avoid these morons like the plague. Too many reputable shops to choose from to even think about these guys. Unless there is no one in your town why would anyone deal with them long distance?

John Walker who posts on Pelican is the ONLY one that I would consider doing something like that.

This stuff isn't rocket science...it can be done with patience, time and research. MM likes to screw long distance....that way customers can't come back and blow up their shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.