Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Development
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I have made contact with an individual that is supposed to have a punch set up to replicate the door jam sticker vin stamp. I have two stickers comming from AutoAtlanta (thanks George) to see if this is a viable option to replace those missing or damaged stickers. More details as things evolve.
G e o r g e
beer.gif popcorn[1].gif pray.gif
SirAndy
i'd be interested!

beerchug.gif Andy
7TPorsh
clap56.gif
McMark
Just to punch the numbers? Or will it make the tamper-proofing circles as well?
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 17 2008, 06:04 PM) *

Just to punch the numbers? Or will it make the tamper-proofing circles as well?

idea.gif
Mark Henry
I thought someone else was thinking of doing this, but stopped when he was told it could be a sick bird....

craig downs
I could use one. The last time I painted my car I took it off and now wish I didn't.
rjames
I wire wheeled 1/2 of mine off because I thought there was rust underneath. Turned out it was just the glue and dirt. headbang.gif
ericread
Just how legal is this? The manufacturer is responsible for supplying a unique VIN number for each vehicle sold in the U.S. If a replica is created, will a state's DMV or police accept this as the legal requirement? idea.gif

McMark
Regardless of anything else, this issue, if you're in the unlucky situation to have it questioned by the authorities, will come down to the attitude of the officials involved. Some would let it slide/ignore it/think nothing is wrong. Some would throw the book at you. And if they do throw the book, then a friendly conversation is not going to change it. A LONG legal battle would be necessary to clear it up. And in the mean time, your car will be impounded and even could be crushed.
914Sixer
I am not going to get involved in the legal issues. I will provide the information of where you can get the sticker punched if they turn out good. YOU will have to purchase the blank door sticker and send it to be made. As an individual, YOU will have to make the decison about any legal ramifications.
rick 918-S
First let me say I hate the wireless service at this hotel. I had a big long response typed and the damned connection timed out twice!

This is much to do about nothing.

Here's a philosophical question or few.

What if you get pulled over without the sticker?

How many of you purchased a car with the sticker removed?
After a couple paint jobs that sticker is likely gone or painted over.

Do you think the police, Highway Patrol or DMV carry a picture book around so they can match it up to 30 year old cars to see if someone put a fake sticker on their car?

When your asked for your vin do you look at the door jamb sticker or the stamped, perminent tag on the windsheild pillar?

This is a sticker. Now if your talking about cutting chassis numbers out and welding them into another chassis that's a different issue entirely.
IronHillRestorations
If it works out, I've got a car that needs a new one.
Zimms
+4
dflesburg
LOL...

Most people don't know what the hell my car is.. let alone know anything about it....

burton73
Rick—I just got to Bangkok and the wireless in the Marriott is fine.

The tamper-proofing circles need to be there or you do not need to do this. It does not look real. It is just a little off. The Black on 911 is not made with tamper-proofing circles but all the pictures of the 6’s show sliver with them. With the car color coming through the VIN it is the final touch to the big buck restoration or paint job. Yes, we have gone over legalities of this before.

I have done a lot of die cutting and embossing. The stickers that AA has are made of chrome Mylar and it cuts well but my not emboss great. The die to make the tamper-proofing circles may be big bucks. I did a job a long time ago where a steel rule die was not OK because the detail was too much. I am going to China in a few days and I will ask my engineer.

If anyone has a picture showing the tamper-proofing circles it will help me in the next 3 days.

Bob

r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2008, 09:43 AM) *

First let me say I hate the wireless service at this hotel. I had a big long response typed and the damned connection timed out twice!

This is much to do about nothing.

Here's a philosophical question or few.

What if you get pulled over without the sticker?

How many of you purchased a car with the sticker removed?
After a couple paint jobs that sticker is likely gone or painted over.

Do you think the police, Highway Patrol or DMV carry a picture book around so they can match it up to 30 year old cars to see if someone put a fake sticker on their car?

When your asked for your vin do you look at the door jamb sticker or the stamped, perminent tag on the windsheild pillar?

This is a sticker. Now if your talking about cutting chassis numbers out and welding them into another chassis that's a different issue entirely.

Do you have a Dell computer???
rich
Gustl
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2008, 01:43 PM) *

agree.gif - that's it
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2008, 09:43 AM) *

In PA, they check the tag on the windshield against the tag in the door. If the tag in the door was gone, I guess they would use the metal one in the front trunk.

But, at least in PA, the tag in the door is used when you title the car in your name. Other then that, I have never seen them get used. Still, the risk, even the tiny risk, of getting in trouble for this would lead me to remove the vin sticker rather then use one that was "new."

Zach
Gint
I need one if it's done right.

And BTW the WS pillar tag isn't permanent. It's riveted on.
burton73
Rick—I am using a new MacBook Air

When I took my 6 on the trailer with the PO to the DMV in Los Angeles they came out and looked at the window and then when we could not see the door because the trailer was in the way, they said the 2nd VIN was on the body. They would not put it in my name or give me a clear title without seeing 2 out of 3 VINs. They had a book that told them where the VINs where. Every one will want one if done right as it is the finishing touch. I remember how nice the one was on my 72 beetle in my favorite blue. Is it just the sliver ones that have the safety circles?

Bob

Cevan
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 18 2008, 03:58 AM) *

Regardless of anything else, this issue, if you're in the unlucky situation to have it questioned by the authorities, will come down to the attitude of the officials involved. Some would let it slide/ignore it/think nothing is wrong. Some would throw the book at you. And if they do throw the book, then a friendly conversation is not going to change it. A LONG legal battle would be necessary to clear it up. And in the mean time, your car will be impounded and even could be crushed.

I'm not sure that would happen, unless you are changing the VIN#. At least not in my state.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cevan @ Apr 18 2008, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 18 2008, 03:58 AM) *

I'm not sure that would happen, unless you are changing the VIN#. At least not in my state.

Yes, I have a Dell...? Anywho... I'm back home now.

Ok, My position is the same. First, yes the stamped tag is riveted to the pillar, but you must remove the glass to get it out. Pretty safe bet. Second , they could check the stamping on the right top of the front inner wheel house. You can't change that one without some serious work.

(unless someone cut your front end off and sectioned it onto another one.. dry.gif )

And the key here is it must match the stamping or what's the point of sticking it on the car?

I agree the DMV has a resource for locations of the vin. But it's not a picture book. If the number matched I doubt they would look any further.
jaminM3
Here are some examples of original stickers for /4.

Are the dots at the beginning and end different on every sticker?
rick 918-S
you can really see the punch out circles on this one.

BTW: this car was originally WHITE.

WHITE CAR:
burton73
What size do you think the circles are in mm? A guess.

The black sticker does show it well. My 86 Carrera has no circles on its black sticker.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.