Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift swap? 5-lug install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I've got a tranny I had to replace the ass end on as the speedo had broken off. It drained most the tranny fluid. Is Swepco 201 good stuff to use? That is what pelican sells. I'd like to find something locally though as I will be doing it today. Anyone have a good recommendation at NAPA or Autozone?

Also is there a drain plug of some kind to drain any lingering oil? How do I refill it? Thanks
914werke
Jamie the big 17(19?)mm hex plug in the mid-bottom of the case is the drain though you might want to to pull the diff cover and really clean the rest of the nasty stuff that can accumulate/settle at the bottom if the existing lube looks smells real bad.
Haynes calls for SAE 90 so any will do if you need to get in on the road but Swepco is often suggested, it some slippery stuff smile.gif the little utility pumps from flaps is what I use to refill
Crazyhippy
Any 90wt will work fine. The Swepco 201 seems to keep transaxles alive much longer when subjected to High HP (SBC v8's are my experiance).

Drain plug and fill plug are on the passenger side of the trans. both 17mm Allens. Look on the plate the stub axle comes out.

Be sure to pull the fill plug before the drain plug, so you know you can get lube back in there...

BJH
JRust
Just bought some Redline 90w. I've had good luck with some of there other products. Hopefully it will be okay. Any estimate on how many quarts it will take? Where the hell do I find a 17 or 19mm allen wrench? I've never seen one this size before confused24.gif . I forgot to see if they had one when I went into town earlier.

I spent most of my day screwing around with pulling my front end. Replacing with a 911 front end. Didn't go to bad but I need more parts to do it. Is the 911 steering rack any better than the 914's? Setup seems better but not sure I want to pull the gas tank to swap them out. Unless someone has a trick that doesn't involve that?
Eric_Shea
Where the hell do I find a 17 or 19mm allen wrench?

In my tool box... wanna borrow?

Leave the steering rack as they're the same. Going with 48mm pistons up front? You should probably get a 19mm MC.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/4747837.htm
Eric_Shea
SWEPCO is some of the best BTW.
Spoke
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 19 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Is the 911 steering rack any better than the 914's? Setup seems better but not sure I want to pull the gas tank to swap them out. Unless someone has a trick that doesn't involve that?

I believe the 911 used the same steering rack as the 914. When I did my swap, I used the 911 rack since the one on the car had some play in it. Was a direct swap and didn't need to remove the tank. The control stub for the 911 rack was different than the one for the 914 so I had to change that.

The connection of the control stub is in the interior so loosen the bolt and pull the rack out assuming the front suspension crossmember is out. No need to pop the tank. I did a full 911 front end swap in 1 evening: dropped the 914 front, cleaned the tub area with degreaser, changed the MC to 19mm (hardest part of the job), installed the 911 front, connect brakes, bleed, check alignment and drive the next day.
RJMII
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 19 2008, 07:10 PM) *

Or if you want (rather than borrowing one from Eric) Take a long bolt with a 17mm head on it and bend the end. Instant allen wrench.
My dad custom made one for me for my first 914, worked like a charm.
J P Stein
Swepco 201 in formulated to work with Porsche syncros....I won't use anything else.
If you could see my syncros & dog teeth after 8-9 years of abuse, neither would you.
JRust
I didn't even get to doing the rear end today. SO I'll order the Swepco 201 this week. How much does it take?
MrKona
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 19 2008, 11:05 PM) *

I didn't even get to doing the rear end today. SO I'll order the Swepco 201 this week. How much does it take?

Jamie,

Haynes Manual says 2.6 quarts. That should bring it up to the level of the filler plug when the transmission is level. If you stick your finger in the filler hole, you'll feel it (and see on your finger) when you've got enough.

- Bryan
sww914
Don't put any redline in a 901 trans. It's too slippery for our synchros and it will probably grind gears when it didn't before. Swepco's cheaper and it works better.
PeeGreen 914
Too slippery? I just put in Swepco in mine and that is some slippery shit. Looks like it is really good though.... at $70 a gallon it should be wink.gif
byndbad914
Swepco. I just switched over to it in my 930 trans a couple weeks ago and won't go to anything else. Heard nothing but good and trans shifts better.

Heard lots-o-bad about Redline stuff when I posted a question asking which one for my 930.
J P Stein
Porsche's syncros have that wierdassed brake band with a radiused crown on it.
To do it's job (and not wear the crown flat) it needs lubrication.....but not too much, a certain amount of friction is needed.
The brake band appears to be made of some oddball material..... confused24.gif
Swepco has the combo down, apparently.
Gint
Just to be clear, the Redline isn't bad, it's just bad for a 901 trans.
computers4kids
new_shocked.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Here are a few pics! Kind of at a stand still for now. I'll get back to it after work this week. Basically have the old front end out. It is in good shape.I was surprised to find they put studs in the rotors. SO when I pulled the wheels off their were nuts instead of bolts. I also had trouble getting the tie rod off. Went into town to buy a tool for it. Then it came off no problem.

I'm not sure what size master cylinder is on it. The bottom side has a 14 on it. I don't think this is the stock 17. Where do I find the number that will tell me what it is? I have a few master cylinders in a box somewhere. I have what I think is a 21mm but it doesn't have anywhere close to the same setup as ar as where everything connects.
JRust
Another couple pics. Good front sway bar setup. The second of my garage overall. I need to get rid of some of these 914's headbang.gif

I also ordered a gallon of Swepco from the Bird for my tranny. I am swaping to a sideshift also. So I have all new shift bushings going in this week too! I'm a little on the slow side doing everything. No problem I'm just making sure I do it all right. I'm going to order some turbo tie rods too! Funny how you plan on doing one thing & end up doing 10.
biosurfer1
Jamie,

FYI, about a year ago, I did just about everything you are doing right now (sideshift, rebuild, swepco, bushings) and just so you have something to look forward to, the results will be WELL worth the effort...amazing the difference it makes!

good luck
Eric_Shea
Let me know if you need the wrench.
Spoke

I bought a set of 17, 18, 19mm allen sockets at my FLAPS. Sockets are 1/2 drive. I think for less than $10.
Cap'n Krusty
What ever are you going to do with the 18 and 19? The Cap'n
JRust
Thanks for the offer Eric. I just ordered one from pelican with the Swepco. Figured I needed it in my tool box.
Spoke
What work is needed on the 5-lug stuff? Looks like the rotors are a bit rusty.

My rotors cleaned up real nice; were probably on the fringe of needing replaced as the rust was heavy on one side of one of the rotors. The original paint on the hardware cleaned up good enough for government work.
JRust
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 20 2008, 05:09 PM) *

What work is needed on the 5-lug stuff? Looks like the rotors are a bit rusty.

Not much just need a little cleaning up. They have just been sitting in my garage for the last year. I'm taking them in for a quick turn & having the calipers all checked. I'm sure they are all fine but will make sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.