Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of this steering wheel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ChrisReale
IPB Image
Good for a 914? A place online sells it for $186....
F4i
I like it! It's got that yellow racing stripe and everyone knows yellow is faster. Can you get a good price on it? I am in the market for a new one. I was considering the monte carlo.
ChrisReale
I have a monte Carlo currently. It is a nice wheel, I am just thinking about something a bit more "race inspired"
mikester
I like it too, how much?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry, got carried away.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(mikester @ Jan 18 2004, 10:49 AM)
I like it too, how much?

read the sentence below the pic! laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I like it. It is very similar to what is being used in the current factory Porsche race cars.

b
seanery
me, too. I'd like one that like on blue car. It's got a monte carlo now, but it's too small. If it were made of chainlink it would be the perfect lowrider wheel.
Jeroen
I can get you these for about 100 euro in sued and 110 euro in leather
90mm deepdish - 350mm diameter
Exact same wheel, just not Momo (comes from the same manufacturer)
I'd have to check on shipping, but I don't thing it would add much

I guess there'd be some import duties to be paid... anyone know how much?
(although I could ship them as a gift or a sample)

Lemme know if anyone's interested and I'll dig into it

cheers,

Jeroen
soloracer
I really like the wheel too and was going to buy one. I ended up getting a used monte carlo for $85 that will do the job for now.
914MF
boldblue.gif I am interested! driving.gif
ChrisReale
Ya Roon, for that price, I would be interested as well...whatayasay, Dutch group buy?
Jeroen
If enough interest, I'll contact the seller for better prices... (group buy)
Anybody know about import duties?

cheers,

Jeroen
ChrisReale
What defines enough interest? 10 or more..?
Jeroen
Dunno which quantity would be needed to get a discount
Just two won't cut it though biggrin.gif

I'll make some calls and see what I can come up with...

cheers,

Jeroen
machina
I love it and its the only wheel that looks right to me in a porsche race car. Momo makes an identical version for the current GT3 RSR. Check out the last issue of excellence, you will see it in the cockpit of the factory car.

The wheel does have quite a bit of dish, so make sure you can remove the standard hub to make up for the dish.

I found a great quick release from OG Racing (i think). Unlike most other hubs, it mates up to the factory steering shaft with a splined nut. This puts the wheel back where it needs to be with the mod 7.
Jeroen
Here's the one I'm talking about...
IPB Image

As you see, it's the very same wheel... except for the MOMO print

The OG Racing quickrelease works nicely

Those of you who are looking for a quickrelease, check this link
www.goingsuperfast.com
(homepage shows a hex QR, but he sells splined ones as well)
It's the cheapest bolt-on QR I've seen (less than $100)
I've got one and it's nice. The horn stays functional as well

cheers,

Jeroen

PS the Porsche-crest horn button does NOT come with the wheel...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jan 18 2004, 12:04 PM)
I can get you these for about 100 euro in suede ...

i have too many wheels but i do like the look in Synthesis' car ...

what's eu100 in USD these days ? suede for me.
if it's too close to the MoMo price i'd rather just go that way...

so what's that "online place" with the MoMo Mod 7 for $186 ? does that include shipping? where are they (tired of getting hit for expedited shipping just to see parts in 30 days ...) ?

i was already wondering how i'd mark a 'front' stripe on my Personal Fitti ...
Gint
Shar just got back from Finland. She says 100 Eurs is about $125
redshift
Well... what's wrong with the ugly one that comes in new 914s?

M
Jeroen
100 euro is about $126 currently
but like I said, someone should check how much the import tax/duties are
If it ads up too much it would be a waste of time/money

cheers,

Jeroen
L8Apex
I still like my Sparco Ring.

IPB Image
redshift
I like that one.

I like 930 wheels.. then I like stock, then that one.

M
J P Stein
Note to self: paint one of them stripes on your steering device so's you hab a clue as to which way you are going.
redshift
UP? unsure.gif

laugh.gif

M
seanery
$186 Momo Mod 7 Free Shipping
seanery
I want a red one:
seanery
Momo Mod 7 for $143 + Shipping
TheCabinetmaker
uuuuuhhhhhhh. red to match my eyes, I mean my car laugh.gif
ChrisReale
Sean found the place where I was looking. $143 aint bad at all..
seanery
I emailed the $143 place and asked if they would do a group buy for 5, 10, or 15 wheels.
Brad Roberts
Red.. so it can be black in less than 2 weeks...LOL

B
seanery
shaddap
redshift
I am thinking about going with a 12" Fuchsy.

M
jonwatts
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 18 2004, 07:21 PM)
I emailed the $143 place and asked if they would do a group buy for 5, 10, or 15 wheels.

I'd be interested in a little of that action.

I'm interested in Jeroen's wheel too but it sounds like the real deal might be cheap enough with less international hassle.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jan 18 2004, 08:38 PM)

I'm interested in Jeroen's wheel too but it sounds like the real deal might be cheap enough with less international hassle.

I agree. As much as I want Jeroen to bust his hump getting a deal set up for us ungrateful F'ers, laugh.gif international deals can be more of a pita than their worth
campbellcj
FWIW the Mod.07 is basically a modern clone of the vintage Prototipo wheel. Keep in mind that they are both "dished" wheels that will place the rim 1+ inches closer to you than the models with less dish like the Monte Carlo.

If used with a quick-removable hub the wheel will be too close for virtually all drivers, I betcha, in a 914 wheel/pedal/seat configuration.

Rich -- I was worried it might be "cheesy" (maybe it is?) but I used some yellow plastic tape to mark the top position on my Personal Fitti wheel. It actually does help get an instant "subconcious" read on hand and steering position in track conditions, esp if you find yourself in tight quarters having to shuffle-steer or shift hand positions. The tape has been on there for several months and is in fine condition -- my car mostly lives in the garage though.
ChrisReale
Im gunna buy one. Sean, let us know what you find out
seanery
will pass along info as soon as i have it.
jonwatts
Well I've seen Prototipo's break along the holes in the spokes so hopefully the new ones are a little beefier.

I hear you on the dish part but closer is usually better (to a point) for a track car. I'd like enough room to not be signaling or cleaning the windshield in the corners. This will require some investigation of quick-releases and wheels.

Yay, something to do at work tomorrow.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 18 2004, 09:44 PM)
If used with a quick-removable hub the wheel will be too close for virtually all drivers, I betcha, in a 914 wheel/pedal/seat configuration.

Rich -- I was worried it might be "cheesy" (maybe it is?) but I used some yellow plastic tape to mark the top position on my Personal Fitti wheel. It actually does help get an instant "subconcious" read on hand and steering position in track conditions, esp if you find yourself in tight quarters having to shuffle-steer or shift hand positions.

yeah - i donno about the position. but the price seems good, and it's more options. i have a MoMo PD wheel i can try too. i do like the QD feature but IIRC i actually hang onto the wheel getting into and out of the car, and if it's not there, i wonder what i'll use instead ...

the plastic tape was one of my frontrunner choices for marking a center position. what i actually think it will be most helpful for is keeping Joy from freaking out after she loses track of the wheel position in the middle of her first 911 autocross spin...

Jeroen - that QD site had 3 different kinds - which of the 3 do you use/recommend, and does it come with a master spline to ensure the wheel is re-installed indexed properly ?

didn't you also check out some Porsche Motorsports and/or SmartRacing QD's ? can you give us a quick capsule summary ?
machina
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 19 2004, 01:44 AM)

That is true if you use the other quick releases jeroen was talking about. They all require the momo hub adapter (I think?) to work which puts the wheel way to far back. If you need the horn button, I guess you have no choice.

The OG unit uses a splined nut in place of the momo hub adapter. This puts the wheel actually a bit closer to the dash than the stock wheel. The setup actually requires a dished wheel. If you try a flat wheel, the rim will actually touch the column switchgear.

http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemdetail.a...379&showbrake=1

works for me.

dr
Jeroen
Synthesis is right... sort of biggrin.gif

I like the steering wheel close by, so it's not a problem for me
(the closer the steeringwheel is, the more leverage you have, so you have more control and need less force/effort to steer)

I've tried several QR's so far

The one OG sells is nice. You need no hub, so if you don't have a wheel/hub combo yet, and you want a QR, that's prolly the cheepest option
What I don't like is the huge markup on the part.
Basically, it's a $50 weld on QR. They had the splined part machined to fit the steeringshaft and now sell it for about $150
Reason I'm not using it? I ordered it through Windward. I told them specifically it was for a 914... and they send me one for a 944.
Wasn't a problem really. Sold it to a friend. Asked Windward to send me another (for the 914) and never heard from them again... They won't get my business again

I've also got the one from TC Racing...
Very nice unit as well. About $130
Doesn't work with splines, but with two pulling pins at both sides of the QR
Good solid bolt-on solution
Drawback is that it only bolts to Raid/Personal/Nardi style hubs (bolt circle does not fit Momo/Sparco hubs). It DOES fit both types of steeringwheels though.
(wasn't a problem for me, 'cause I already had a Raid hub)
TC sells hubs too, but I heard some people had trouble with those hubs...
They also have a nice section of steeringwheels, but again with the RAID bolt pattern

Most recently, I got the "Going Super Fast" Type 1 QR
I like it best so far, for a couple of reasons.
First and most, because this guy THOUGHT about his product
This QR will bolt to both the Momo/Sparco AND Raid/Nardi/Personal hubs and wheels
So you can mix and match what ever you got/like
It's bolt on
The horn stays functional
Extra distance between hub and wheel is only 1"
It's dirt cheap ( $100 - free shipping)

The one SmartRacing sells... I don't have it. Just seen pics on the web
A big load of bull if you ask me... the same generic $50 QR with some machined parts and they sell it for $300

The QR used by Porsche Motorsport is the ultimate QR
(made by ISA Racing) Comes stock on all GT3 race cars
Very neat design, because (unlike the regular splined QR's) you can only put this one on in one way. Your wheel is always straight
Adds about 3" between the steeringwheel and hub
Drawback is the price... about 250 euro's (currently $375)

I guess that about covers the QR issues biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Jeroen
jonwatts
The OG unit uses a splined nut in place of the momo hub adapter. works for me.

Is this on an original 6? Looking at the OG link you provided they don't list an application for 4 cylinder cars.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jan 19 2004, 08:43 AM)
The OG unit uses a splined nut in place of the momo hub adapter. works for me.

Is this on an original 6? Looking at the OG link you provided they don't list an application for 4 cylinder cars.

they don't list one for the early 911 either - and it should share the column with the 914.6 ...

Jeroen pretty much talked me out of the OG unit anyway ...
Jeroen
Splines for the 914/4, 914/6 and 911 (through '89) are all the same

The difference in the hubs is the way they fit snugly to the column housing, not the splines

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
just noticed that the TC Racing prices went up quite a bit...

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Just checked for the steeringwheels...

Guy selling the wheel I've got won't budge...

OTOH, I am getting MOMO dealer prices tomorrow or the day after that
I'll let you know how that's gonna turn out

cheers,

Jeroen
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 18 2004, 05:39 PM)

okayfine, i ordered one of those, we'll see how it goes and if they can actually deliver at that price. FedEx Ground from AZ->PA seemed reasonable at $9; we'll see if a tracking number materialises; they claim they'll ship today. i have used several MoMo products in the past, i like them. i've been a MoMo fan ever since Gianpierro Moretti (MoMo is MOretti-MOnza) fed the whole paddock area spaghetti during one of the last LA Times/Riverside IMSA 6 Hours races. his 935 was co-sponsored by Electrodyne and Penthouse and yes, there was nice scenery around his part of the garage area ...

i'll check its fit and decide on a QR based on that.
seanery
no email reply from the $143 people. I called them and it rang and rang and rang and rang and rang and rang and rang
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 21 2004, 12:00 PM)
no email reply from the $143 people. I called them and it rang and rang and rang and rang and rang and rang and rang

i placed an order on the website, and the transaction is still showing 'pending' so i donno... that was Monday, you'd think either they'd have provided me a shipping tracking number or completed the transaction - preferably both - by now ... they're in AZ if that helps you identify by timezone - this was 'MoMo World' - yes ? getting the killer price but no killer part was my original worry with them, but the QD will supposedly mate with either a MoMo wheel or the Personal i'm already using, so i do have a fallback position ...

OTOH - i did a few email exchanges with the 'GoingSuperFast.com' guy and that transaction seems to be proceeding, so we'll see. i found the website very confusing but i agree with Jeroen - the $100 "Type 1" is the one we want. when i mentioned Jeroen's referral the guy there offered a discount, and i told him he should expect several more inquiries based on this thread. so maybe if you mention -2- names you'll get an even better price than i did (although - i thought it was a darne good price ...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.