Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smog pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow1
The pump was removed from my car and pluged as u see in the pic,is this okay or should all of the egr system be removed. Click to view attachment
jcd914

If you don't have to worry about smog equipment then you can remove the rest of the injection tubing but it is not necessary. It is easiest to take the injection manifold (no 19 in your pic) off and put caps on the injectors (no 20 in your pic). You won't gain any performance but it gets some of the clutter out of the engine compartment. EGR is a separate system.

Jim
Loser_Cruiser
anyone know what these things are selling for in good condition?
JeffBowlsby
I know this is not popular thinking, but why not locate another smog pump and hook it back up again? It is the way your 914 was meant to be. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
If you delete the smog equipment and backdate to a 74 exhaust, you will pick up HP. You will also drop about 20 pounds.

If NY does not check for emissions equipment, then I would do it.

Zach
yellow1
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 22 2008, 10:06 PM) *

If you don't have to worry about smog equipment then you can remove the rest of the injection tubing but it is not necessary. It is easiest to take the injection manifold (no 19 in your pic) off and put caps on the injectors (no 20 in your pic). You won't gain any performance but it gets some of the clutter out of the engine compartment. EGR is a separate system.

Jim

Thx jcd914 for the quick reply and your help greatly appreciated.
yellow1
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 23 2008, 07:32 AM) *

If you delete the smog equipment and backdate to a 74 exhaust, you will pick up HP. You will also drop about 20 pounds.

If NY does not check for emissions equipment, then I would do it.

Zach

Thx Vacca Rabite for the info,mabey in the future i will replace the exahaust,for now i have it pluged it where the arrow is pointed ,just wanted to make sure the car would run okay like this.I did remove the pump but left all of the plumbing.
ericread
agree.gif

The SMOG pump was a bad idea when it was initially used as a "Rube Goldberg" device to bring emissions down a bit. It didn't really lower emissions, it just diluted the exhaust so that the emissions would seem cleaner. headbang.gif

Glad to hear you're able to get rid of it. HOWEVER, save all of the plumbing. Should your State decide in the future that original SMOG equipment is required, having the plumbing will allow you to mock up the unit for licensing purposes. From what I have seen, the SMOG pump plumbing is getting less available all the time.

Good luck and please keep posting your progress!!! aktion035.gif
yellow1
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 23 2008, 06:35 AM) *

I know this is not popular thinking, but why not locate another smog pump and hook it back up again? It is the way your 914 was meant to be. biggrin.gif

I dont have a problem with pump,my alternater belt flew off and to get a new 1 in was very difficult for me because the smog pump bracket is in the way.why dont i just put the pump back on ,because if the belt comes off or breaks in the future, replacing it is very easy without it in the way u can even do it with out tools if u have to.with the pump on u need tools jacks or ramps and a lot patience.
yellow1
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Apr 22 2008, 10:11 PM) *

anyone know what these things are selling for in good condition?

auto atlanta sells the pump used for $250.00 new $493.42 that does not include the air cleaner part if u need that add $45.00 used or $154.63 new ,if u need the bracket a used 1 is $450.00 new 657.90
stateofidleness
well if anyone needs one i have one for sale

instead of leaving those injectors (#20) installed, can you unscrew them and plug it at the head? how would you do this?
drive-ability
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 23 2008, 11:06 PM) *

agree.gif

The SMOG pump was a bad idea when it was initially used as a "Rube Goldberg" device to bring emissions down a bit. It didn't really lower emissions, it just diluted the exhaust so that the emissions would seem cleaner. headbang.gif

Glad to hear you're able to get rid of it. HOWEVER, save all of the plumbing. Should your State decide in the future that original SMOG equipment is required, having the plumbing will allow you to mock up the unit for licensing purposes. From what I have seen, the SMOG pump plumbing is getting less available all the time.

Good luck and please keep posting your progress!!! aktion035.gif

The reality was back then the pump didn't dilute the system it was designed to introduce O2 in the exhaust as close to the exhaust valves as they could get it, there it would add more 02 the keep the fuel burning or ignite it.. You see rich mixtures burn off all the 02 and leave extra gas left this system would help burn off the excess.
I agree it was a patch, but before modern computers it was as good as it gets. The same is true with the Cat Converter because even with modern EFI systems when you nail the throttle theres extra fuel left over, the cat does a good job handling it ...
ericread
The reality was back then the pump didn't dilute the system it was designed to introduce O2 in the exhaust as close to the exhaust valves as they could get it, there it would add more 02 the keep the fuel burning or ignite it.. You see rich mixtures burn off all the 02 and leave extra gas left this system would help burn off the excess.
I agree it was a patch, but before modern computers it was as good as it gets. The same is true with the Cat Converter because even with modern EFI systems when you nail the throttle theres extra fuel left over, the cat does a good job handling it ...
[/quote]

Nice job in providing better accuracy! pray.gif I still believe it was an ugly patch! wacko.gif
Solocholo
Nice thanks for the info, I’m going to cap mine off too piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Rand
There is nothing good about the smog pump. Just be sure you seal the head well. A common trick is a ball bearing in the cap of a fitting that screws into the the air-injection port.
Rand
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 23 2008, 07:35 AM) *

It is DEFINITLY NOT the way the 914 was meant to be. 914s never came with them until some stupid regulations forced it later against their will/design. It's bullshit that was forced in the late 70s when they were overbearingly trying to figure out smog and it sucks in every way. It is extra junk that only hurts performance. It is a leech. If you don't HAVE to have it for registration, get rid of it stat! Just block off the head port securely (get this right), remove the garbage, and enjoy a simpler system with better efficiency and more power.

PS: I have had 110% respect for Jeff for decades, an icon among us. Do not take this as me debating him. Just had to push back a little. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.