Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track opportunity for Central California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
race914
I just want to pass this on to anyone in the Central California Area that wants to get their 914 on the track.

The California Central Coast Region of the PCA is putting on a Drivers Ed on 5/23 at Buttonwillow Raceway.

More info here: http://ccc.pca.org/Maycalen/CCCR%20DE%202008.pdf

Tech & Registration info here: http://ccc.pca.org/Maycalen/DE%20Reg%20Form316.pdf

Tech and most likely the ground school will be held at Smith Volvo in San Luis Obispo who has recently opened a Porsche Sales, Service & Parts dept which includes Strasseusa.com and Guy Ober's Independent Porsche Care (from "How to Make your Car Handle" fame). So there should be lots of Porsche eye candy.

Here's the info on the track: http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

Traditionally, this event has used this track configuration which is over 3 miles long

IPB Image

The Golden Gate Region of the PCA is also hosting a Time Trial on 5/24-25 if you want to make this a 3 day event. Tricia and I will be there all 3 days in her Signal Orange 914-6 #25.

PM me if you want more info on doing a track day or pick up "Secrets of Solo Racing"

It would be cool to have a contingent of 914world members at Buttonwillow!
sww914
I learned today that you must join the PCA before they will allow you to instruct at an event. I will join the PCA again, I suppose.
Greg, you should take my car out for a run when we're there. It's light when I'm not in it.
race914
Steve, that's great you'll be attending! We can gang up on the 911s : )

I also confirmed that:
* you DO NOT need to be a PCA member to participate as a driver, and
* you can drive your 'other' car if you don't want to track your Porsche

So we may may also see: Vettes, BMW, Lotus, etc which makes it fun to compare & contrast.

Last year I had a bewildered Lotus Elise driver come over trying to figure out firstly why he couldn't catch me in the corners, and secondly why he couldn't pass me on the straights. Seeing the 4 in the engine bay didn't make his day either. 914s can hold their own against some of the new cars really well

Hope more 914world members can make it! Here's a pic of me & SWW914 a few years ago at the same event:

Click to view attachment
sww914
We don't look as fast as that waterboy behind us.
DanT
Greg, I will see you there....I am officiating at GGR events, so I will not have my car with me....kind of hard to drive and be in the tower at the same time sad.gif

Allan
Looks like I can make it.

Wife's gonna be out of town with my daughter at an Anime convention... drunk.gif
sww914
I hope to see you there Allan. I'm anxious to see your finished car in person. Are you planning to track it that weekend?
DanT
turn 2 going CCW Larry Sharp in his '74 Carrera clone with a 2.7RS motor and me in my '99 box. On sticky tires the cars were very similar overall lap times.

also some from CDS event a couple of years ago on my old original motor. biggrin.gif
Great track..just got back from a weekend there running with NASA.
Just might make a day trip there.

race914
Cool pix Dan.

In the middle pic, you can see John Seidell in his purple 914 behind you. Purple People eater is a very fast 4 too.

IPB Image

I've been talking with John, and we are upgrading Tricia's car for the BW event...

Click to view attachment

race914
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 28 2008, 07:35 AM) *

Great track..just got back from a weekend there running with NASA.
Just might make a day trip there.

A day trip would work great for the Friday DE.

If you are able to come, I think so far we'll have about a half dozen or so 914s.

Photo Op!
DanT
those sticker slicks should be very nice on the 6.
see you in a few weeks. biggrin.gif
race914
WHAT: Buttonwillow Track Day Pre-Tech Inspections and STRASSEUSA.COM OPEN HOUSE & BBQ mcmark.gif

WHEN: May 14th, 6PM

WHERE: San Luis Obispo. crest.gif Porsche dept of Smith Volvo. 1185 Monterrey St., SLO

WHY: Whether you want to attend the Buttonwillow DE or not, this would be a great place to meet with our 914s! We can also see all the Porsches going through Tech Inspection for the track event; and checkout Strasseusa.com which is on-site. I was up there today and LOTS of eye candy laying around! Can you say MOTON?! GT3 Cup!?

w00t.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

PCA Membership not required!!
I've checked this out with both the Porsche Club hosting the event, and Strasse and they both enthusiastically extended an invite to 914World members to attend, and check things out! They are even setting up a BBQ with Polish Dogs for PCA that will be available to us too for a couple of bucks.
jsharp.gif

Besides an opportunity to meet each other, meet some PCA folks, eat some polish dogs, check out all the cars, who knows, you might end up entering the Drivers Ed on 5/23. You don't have to be a PCA member, you don't need any mods to your car (it only has to be in good shape) you only need a helmet (which you can rent for $10) and the $145 entry fee is cheap for a track day with a PCA instructor!

In any case, we've got a number of members in the area and it would be fun to meet up! I'll be there with our Signal Orange 914-6. Hope to meet you, and your 914, there!
race914
icon_bump.gif

My DW DesignWerks 901 intermediate plate arrived, and if it's not already installed, it will be part of the Porsche Eye Candy this Wednesday!!!

Click to view attachment

Also found out why I was having shifting problems at the Laguna SCCA Vintage event blink.gif

Click to view attachment

See you there! Bring your friends!

jsharp.gif
sww914
That bearing cage almost always breaks when you press the shaft out of it.
I've been missing my orange handled screwdriver since I quit working for Guy, I'll tell him I want my damned screwdriver back on Wed. biggrin.gif
race914
Another problem found was the Shift Sleeve (#14) for 4th/5th is a 915 part...

Click to view attachment

race914
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 12 2008, 12:41 PM) *

That bearing cage almost always breaks when you press the shaft out of it.
I've been missing my orange handled screwdriver since I quit working for Guy, I'll tell him I want my damned screwdriver back on Wed. biggrin.gif

I'd set your screw driver to the side, but I'm afraid someone might see me holding it.

Click to view attachment
sww914
I really do have a pink Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver. They were like 40 bucks at first and my black one disappeared. They were about 50 bucks when my orange one disappeared and at about 60 bucks I bought a pink one, a Mother' Day special that came with a free pair of pink Kershaw scissors and a free pair of pink pliers. I still have all 3, 12 years later.
I knew that the pink one would never "disappear".
race914
icon_bump.gif

Tonight is the night! Should be fun.

Still don't have the correct shift sleeve for my 901 so you can see it apart on the bench if that's of interest. But I think seeing the cars & meeting other Porsche enthusiasts will be the stars tonight, not my disassembled 901 : )

It's gonna be a great evening, it's only 9:50am and it's already 70 degrees!!

See you at 6 for the Buttonwillow DE Pre-Tech, Strasse Open House & BBQ

jsharp.gif
markb
Since I'm at the Cap'ns shop today, and have to pass SLO on the way home, and the GF will be at work, and there's free food....see ya there. I'll have the trashy black car with the duct taped front windshield. biggrin.gif
race914
Good event! Food was great and it was free! PCA was nice to us : )

914World Rollcall:

BigD914gt
dw914er
race914
sww914

An 18 wheeler overturned on hwy 101 coming down the Cuesta Grade and blocked both directions, so anyone coming from the North, didn't make it. And we were all wanting to see Elliot's yellow car IRL too.. The search party is still out for markb!

Lot's of nice tail draggers: GT3, Turbo, 997 Cab, etc.

Only 914 was our 6 and it's still 'under repair'. But, the good news is, the DW DesignWerks intermediate plate (made by BigD914gt) is installed with our M-S-X stack.
w00t.gif

Click to view attachment
Steve, you forgot to grab your screwdriver poke.gif

Will take some pics at the DE next Friday.

sww914
I saw MarkB today, he was detained in Santa Maria and didn't roll through SLO until 8:00. He was sorry to have missed us.
The PCA was only nice to us because we had a large enough and burly enough contingent to kick the 996ers, 997ers or 944ers asses without any trouble.
They'll all learn more about fear and loathing at the track.
I didn't get my screwdriver but I got a free sausage dog and a bag-o-chips.
markb
Yeah, I got stuck late at the shop, and then the black car decided to give me problems with shifting (I imagine Elliott is having a good laugh right now.... dry.gif ). I didn't roll thru SLO until after 8, and figured everyone had gone home by then (& was right, according to sww914). Next time!
race914
Steve,

Comparing the 911 crowd to the 914'ers was interesting.

The difference in cell phone etiqutte was notable:

Tail Draggers: friinnng!! ding dong! cheer.gif who is it?

Versus

914ers: WRAAAA!: S'up Beoch? aktion035.gif

Can't wait to see how we do on the track. I'm willing to bet I can out run the Red GT3 with my 3.2 914-6. We are both in the Red Group.

I'm basing that on the premis...

You can drive a fast car...

OR

You can drive a car fast...

Any bets????
sww914
My money's on you, G.
I bested a 997S with big brakes, pss10's an experienced driver and Yoko slicks at WSIR by 3 seconds with my 4cyl 914. New cars don't scare me, their siliconed botoxed bleached skeleton wives scare me. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Allan
So when is everyone rolling in?

Thursday night or Friday morning?

I didn't see a start time for the event in the info.
race914
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 21 2008, 06:32 AM) *

So when is everyone rolling in?

Thursday night or Friday morning?

I didn't see a start time for the event in the info.

Hi Allan,

I'll be there Thursday late afternoon along with a few others that I know of. Best thing about the Buttonwillow heat is that cold beer tastes so good after unhooking the trailer etc! (got one for you!) beerchug.gif

Here's the schedule info

California Central Coast Porsche Club of America May, 2008

Preliminary Buttonwillow Run Schedule

7:00 am Registration Opens
7:00-8:00 Registration
7:15-8:45 Tech, Re-Tech Students first then Instructors then Others

8:00 am Drivers meeting outside control tower All groups
8:30-8:45 Instructors meeting/Student Assignments Bl, Wt, Yel
8:55-9:10 Orientation laps/slow speed White, Yellow students
9:15-9:35 Red Group
9:40-10:00 Blue Group
10:05-10:25 White Group
10:30-10:50 Yellow Group
10:55-11:15 Red Group
11:20-11:40 Blue Group
11:45-12:05 White Group
12:10-12:55 Lunch Break - track layout test drives
1:00pm Student meeting outside control tower
1:15-1:35 Yellow Group
1:40-2:00 Red Group
2:05-2:25 Blue Group
2:30-2:50 White Group
2:55-3:15 Yellow Group
3:15-3:25 Worker Break
3:25-3:45 Red Group
3:50-4:10 Blue Group
4:15-4:35 White Group
4:40-5:00 Yellow Group
5:05-5:15 Red & Blue Group
5:20-5:30 White & Yellow Group
5:35 BEER
Allan
Sounds great.

Is anyone staying over Friday night after the 5:30 beer event? drunk.gif
race914
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 21 2008, 07:37 AM) *

Sounds great.

Is anyone staying over Friday night after the 5:30 beer event? drunk.gif

We are! Signed up for Sat & Sun too for the GGR Time Trial

Friday night is cool because during the DE 'happy hour' the Time Trial guys are going through tech for the weekend. All sorts of cool GGR cars show up...

Click to view attachment
Allan
Any Weber guru's gonna be there that might be willing to tune my carbs?
Allan
Well, the only people I saw today were Deckman with his orange monster and Bill Pickering with Lucille, his spec boxter.

Don't know what happened to Greg although I heard he had some motor issues. No idea where Steve was...

Weather was great and there were quite a few p cars running. The only 914's were mine, Deckmans, and a purple track car.

Here's some pics I got while I was there.

Deckman's car and Lucille
Allan
Here's a few of the purple (Aubergine) car. This car has a tweaked 2 liter /4 in it and from what I was told by people is that this guy is FAST...
Allan
A few more...
Allan
Last...
race914
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 23 2008, 02:02 PM) *

Well, the only people I saw today were Deckman with his orange monster and Bill Pickering with Lucille, his spec boxter.

Don't know what happened to Greg although I heard he had some motor issues. No idea where Steve was...

Weather was great and there were quite a few p cars running. The only 914's were mine, Deckmans, and a purple track car.

Here's some pics I got while I was there.

Deckman's car and Lucille

The plan was to pick up the car Wednesday night. Had the trailer hooked up & packed... The car was all back together and during the test drive, it was discovered that the 901 is still having issues... so anyway, we had to sit this one out. The way I look at it, better to find the problem during the test drive than at the track and really do some damage. No worries!

The purple 914 is John Seidell from GGR. And he IS really fast.

Thanks for the pictures Allan!
Allan
Bummer on the tranny problem Greg.

Yer right though on finding it on the test drive rather than at the track.

There's always next time... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.