Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dizzy Vac hoses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eldiosyeldiablo
Ok I have not figured out how to put a bunch of pics in to one yet with IrfanView so please be pacient with me.

The lower hole on dizzy (Vac advance?) was empty. I now have it going to the vac hole on the throttle body nearest the rear trunk. The diagrams I have show a second one on the throttle body but my throttle body does not have it. However, the diagrams show that nonexistant line going to the other hole on the dizzy/vac advance.

But that line on the vac advance is going to a t splitter that goes to the decel valve and to the thing that attaches for the oil breather line. How should this one go? Please see the pics.

The vac line on the throttle body that was plugged in was going to the fuel pressue regulator. What is that hole on the regulator suppose to go to?
eldiosyeldiablo
Here is the dizzy/vac advance
Dave_Darling
If you don't have a second fitting on the throttle body, do not hook the advance fitting on the distributor (the green hose in your second picture) to anything. The "other thing" in the diagrams is the EGR valve and you can ignore the stuff associated with it because a 74 ain't got one.

The fitting on the FPR should get connected to the manifold--pretty much to anything that is "downstream" of the throttle valve.

--DD
Demick
David

Here is how it should go:

On the distributor vacuum canister, there are 2 ports. One is for vacuum advance and one is for vacuum retard. The vacuum retard is the one that points toward the distributor and should be connected to the port on the rear side of the throttle body.

The vacuum advance port is the one that points away from the distributor. Since you have a 1974 2.0 the vacuum advance is not used and there is no place on the throttle body to connect it as you discovered. That line should remain disconnected (leave a hose attached to the vacuum canister to keep out dirt, but leave the other end disconnected).

The 'T' that you show a picture of is really more of an 'F' coming from the intake plenum. One hose should go to the oil filler, and the other (small) hose should go to the small port on the deceleration valve.

As for the fuel pressure regulator, there should only be 2 hoses going to it - both of them fuel lines. The intake side of the regulator should be attached to the fuel rail on the drivers side of the engine. The outlet side of the regulator should connect to a hose that runs behind the engine over to the passenger side and then down through the sheetmetal where it connects with the return line from the fuel pump and goes back to the fuel tank.

These diagrams will help:

Dave Darlings 2.0L Hose diagrams

Good Luck
Demick
Demick
Oops. Dave must have replied while I was typing my reply. But I think Dave has the vacuum retard/advance mixed up. If I remember correctly, the green hose in your picture the vacuum retard and should be connected to the throttle body. The other side is the vacuum advance and should not be connected to anything.

Demick
Dave_Darling
Yer right, Demick--got it swapped. The green in that pic is the retard, and should be hooked up. The grey one is the advance, and should not be hooked up.

--DD
Bleyseng
here is a pic of the vacuum hose layout
mike_the_man
Sounds like you had the same guy do your vaccuum lines as I did. When I got my car, almost everything was hooked up wrong. There was no decel valve, or fuel pressure regulator, but something else (a VW part I think) that had 2 fuel lines and a vaccuum line going to it. The dizzy had both lines hooked up, but it's a 74, and everything else was a big ol' mess too. I think I might have it sorted now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.