Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission/axle question for the gurus in the house
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Hey all,

I'm researching what it would take to convert my '74/4 rear axles to 911 parts as a potential approach to my rear 5-lug conversion. The piece of the puzzle that's got me confused right now is the joint flange, the piece which the transmission-side CV joints bolt up to. PET shows two part numbers for the '70 911:
  • 901 332 209 15 - "for chilled casting"
  • 901 332 209 21 - "for die casting"
Finally, for the 914 (all years) PET lists:
  • 914 332 209 01
So - here are my questions:

1. Despite different part #s, my understanding is that at least one of the 1970 911 joint flanges *will* fit my 914...correct?
2. Which of the two 901 part numbers should I be on the lookout for, and what's the difference between the two?

Shout-out to Eric Shea for schooling me on this stuff! aktion035.gif (Eric, I figured I'd go ahead and research in case our parts swap doesn't pan out for some reason. Can't hurt to learn a little more... wink.gif).

Thanks,

Reid
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 1 2008, 12:19 PM) *

you'll need the "coarse" spline transmission output shafts. i got mine from a '77 (i believe) 911 ...

btw. the 911 CVs won't fit the 914 axle shaft (different spline) and the 911 axle shaft will be too short ...

that's why i went with 944 CVs on my car.
shades.gif Andy
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2008, 01:32 PM) *
you'll need the "coarse" spline transmission output shafts. i got mine from a '77 (i believe) 911 ...

That makes sense I think ~ "course" meaning fewer, fatter splines, right? You don't remember the count do you? biggrin.gif

btw. the 911 CVs won't fit the 914 axle shaft (different spline) and the 911 axle shaft will be too short ... that's why i went with 944 CVs on my car.

Eric mentioned your setup to me, I've been meaning to read through the progress thread. He also mentioned the possibility of going with an aftermarket axle from Sway-A-Way, something I'm looking into as well.

Reid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.