Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA and VIN's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auerbach
For the last 3-3 months I have attempted to get a COA from PCNA and was told that they had to go back to Germany for the records.

After several phonecalls and being told that Germany is researching its' archives, I have now been told..... "As to the explantion as to why we may not be able to provide a COA for you vehicle it appears there may have been a loading error when the information was transferred from Hard Copy to electronic database and your VIN is not searchable. I am confirming with PCNA and PAG again whether or not they still have this VIN archived.".

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions? And no, I did not get the car from George and I would appreciate it if this thread does not turn into a George bashing. He and his staff have made my car possible and I only have thanks and praise for AA.
davep
I have not heard of this problem before. I'd be interested to know your VIN # and the range that they have no information on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ May 2 2008, 08:38 AM) *

I'd be interested to know your VIN #

4762900360 shades.gif
auerbach

Here is the information from the car:

Windshield Vin Tag and chassis stamping- 4762900360
DOT Label in left door jamb - missing
Karmann Tag - chassis # 3659018, Paint Code L97A
Tag on Right Front Bumper Support - 3659018
Engine - GA 006016
Trans - HA 110374
Chris advises that both engine and trans appear to have been purchased from a junkyard at the same time and were taken out of a '75 914. Without looking at my file, I believe that the engine case is a 1973 number, but I will check it when I get home.
davep
The engine is a very late 73 & the transmission is late 1974.
ejm

Chris advises that both engine and trans appear to have been purchased from a junkyard at the same time and were taken out of a '75 914.

Giving this some thought there may be another answer. The engine and trans were both marked "75 914" with a paint crayon. Agreed that the engine case is a '73, the trans a '74 and the chassis a '76. So how did this happen? I'd speculate this. For whatever reason the original units were removed and the current engine and trans were mated and installed in the car sometime in the far past. More recently ( and before the DOT label was "lost" ) they were pulled again by a larger shop that had several projects going. It's not uncommon for a large shop to label units for storage and time accounting purposes. Someone opened the drivers door and took the date from the DOT label, XX/75.
Katmanken
Looks like a "computer error" somewhere......

It's been a few years since production of the car and probably a number of "archival medium" changes since then so errors can occur...

Looking at the music system, we have at least AM radio, mono and stereo FM, 8-track tape, cassette, CD, DVD, satellite radio. and MP3 players......

Looking at the medium changes, I would expect a few scanning errors...

No resolution over time? I'd post this issue in Excellence and get the Porsche community stirred up....

Nuttin like a little publicity to stir up an organization to get the data.... or admit to a hard drive crash.....

Ken

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.