Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery tray pedestal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
OK, I've removed the old battery tray/pedestal, both had either either pop-riveted or sheet metal screws to hold them.. Anyway, I welded up the extraneous holes, but what are these small holes in the front for? Also, what's the purpose of the large holes on the sides? (RD design). BTW, the pic is from my current driver, not the car I'm working on this weekend.

Also, do I need to remove the paint that is on the battery tray/pedestal? Or can I just scuff it and repaint?

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
ericread
The small holes are there as starter points for rust. That's how you know they're authentic! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Resistor block.

IPB Image
sixnotfour
and dual relay
J P Stein
1) to let the acid in
or
2) to let the acid out
Joe Bob
Speed holes....
iamchappy
Generally i have found that paint does not adhere well to the rust colored primer parts i have seen in the past, i would sand it well or off, then reprime and paint.
So.Cal.914
Bird House... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 3 2008, 08:49 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif

Looks like a rust-breasted warbler to me.
So.Cal.914
av-943.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 3 2008, 10:06 PM) *

and dual relay

Thanks guys. Which year/engine used the dual relay and/or resitor block?

I have a '74 2.0l with the original FI and didn't have either of these, so I was going to weld up these holes...

In regards to the paint, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately give the paint a good scratching before I prime/paint it...

Bird house, that's a good one... av-943.gif

-- Rob
Eric_Shea

I have a '74 2.0l with the original FI and didn't have either of these, so I was going to weld up these holes...

confused24.gif If I recall, I had a 74 1.8 that had it.
SLITS
In the original design, the larger hole was for an engine compartment light. After many attempts at making it work, the Krauts figured out the if they mounted the battery high enough for the light to work, the engine lid wouldn't close.

Then they decided to put a burner in there to cook Bratwurst. Unfoutunately they found out that the battery sitting on top of the bratwurst squeezed all the goodness out.

Disgusted, they went back to drinking and forgot to change the fabrication details.
Allan
On my '75 that's where my rev limiter was attached.
swl
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ May 4 2008, 07:13 AM) *

iirc thats unique to L-Jet. Only the 1.8s
So.Cal.914

Then they decided to put a burner in there to cook Bratwurst.

I can see that... rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
Cevan
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.