Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolt Stripped - Front End Adjuster - I have an idea?!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wanna9146
One of my front end adjuster bolts is stripped and it ain't coming out. I tried every trick that I read after searching the forum.

I was about to drop the front end so I can attack the bolt from a different angle when I thought about removing the adjuster cap (torsion bar cap). Can I just pry this cap off with the bolt in place? Is the cap under tension from the torsion bar if the front end is off the ground?

idea.gif
sww914
There's no tension on it when the car's off of the ground. It must slide a long way off of the end of the torsion bar and the bolt interferes with the X member like it was designed to. You can cut the bolt off near the torsion bar cap, slide the cap off and work on it in a vice. It is a special bolt but a normal bolt will work in a pinch if you can't find the right one right away.
Wanna9146
I already have new caps and/or bolts ready to go. Just wondering if I can pop the cap off without "unloading" the torsion bar first. I think I'll be able to slice the bolt flush...

QUOTE(sww914 @ May 3 2008, 07:49 PM) *

There's no tension on it when the car's off of the ground. It must slide a long way off of the end of the torsion bar and the bolt interferes with the X member like it was designed to. You can cut the bolt off near the torsion bar cap, slide the cap off and work on it in a vice. It is a special bolt but a normal bolt will work in a pinch if you can't find the right one right away.

rhodyguy
if you have the tire off of the ground and trim the screw, the adj arm should come off. if it's rusted on the torsion bar may come with it. no big deal.

k
Wanna9146
I've never had the suspension/torsion bars apart before...I only know what I've read in the manuals, so not sure what to expect. I picture an explosion of some sort like when I took my father's wristwatch apart many years ago.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 4 2008, 06:21 AM) *

if you have the tire off of the ground and trim the screw, the adj arm should come off. if it's rusted on the torsion bar may come with it. no big deal.

k
rhodyguy
it won't be under load. no explosion. if the tbar somes out check the condition of the little foam doughnut gasket. speaking of manuals...the detail in the haynes re changing a front strut cartridge is pretty funny. tearing the whole damn thing apart...wth!! haha.

k
Wanna9146
Well...I did it without dropping the front end or having to remove the adjuster, thanks to a Craftsman Bolt-Out...

IPB Image

Hammered that sucker on to the bolt head and presto! Bolt out...
dflesburg
The great pumpkin had allen head bolts and they were locked up. Finally got one out after welding in a piece of allen... The other side got cut out with a cut off wheel once the cap was off the car it was easier to get a good weld on the allen and it came out easy.. ( I hate welding straight up and burning my bald spot... )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.