Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993 brakes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeHall
Can I make 993 brakes work on a 911 suspended 914? If so would it be a bolt on or would i have to make custom brackets for the calipers to bolt up?

Mike
Bigbohr
You cannot just bolt these up to a 914/911.
I have looked at this but never installed. As far as I have figured out these are the options (all are expensive):

Front:
1) use custom rotors (w/ custom hats) on 911 hubs, and use caliper adapters (radial mount to side mount adapter)
2) use 930 hubs and 930 front rotors, and same adapters as option 1

Rear:
Machine off the ears and drill for radial mount
1) use caliper adapter with 944 turbo rear rotor (you will not be able to do a parking brake conversion using 911 parts)
2) use custom caliper adapters and 930 rear rotors. The brake pads need to be sanded down to provide the clearance for the 930 rotor. I've seen several threads on the Pelican board where people have used 993 rear caliper with a 930 rotor on a 911.

Most adapters and custom rotors/hats you can buy, like from VCI (vehiclecraft.com).
I don't think there is an existing adapter for the second rear brake option. You'd have to make your own custom adapter.
MikeHall
Being the 993 brakes would require so much work to install what would be the next best setup that would not require as much work to install? Are 930 brakes a bolt on option if using 911 suspension?

Mike
Bigbohr
Actually, what 911 suspension do you have? If you have the version with 3.5" spacing between caliper mounting holes there are options (see below). If you have the earlier version you are probably limited to the M calipers. Also, when you say 911 suspension you are talking about the front. If you substantially upgrade the front you will also need to upgrade the rear.
The cheapest upgrade is 911SC or Carrera brakes front and rear with matching rotors (A calipers). The S calipers from a 911S would be nicer for the front but are more expensive. The S calipers are in Alu. The A calipers are cast iron and rather heavy. The Carrera setup is preferable for the rear since they have a wider rear rotor. That's as close to bolt-on you will get, and it will also be the cheapest option.
Other option is boxster calipers with 911 rotors. Look up a914guy for this solution.
930 brakes will be too expensive. You will need to get the 930 hubs (good luck finding those) and the 930 calipers. $$$$'s
There are other options with BMW calipers on the front but I don't know much about that. Do a search. You should find info on that.
Good luck!
Wilhelm
Not to be a thread stealer, but.......
I'm trying to compile a list of the variety of brake rotors available for Porsches so we know what options are available. Anyone know of a listing that includes diameter, thickness and offset? Feel free to pm me with measurements of any rotors you have and I will compile a list and post it. Thanks
Bigbohr
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 4 2008, 03:57 PM) *

Not to be a thread stealer, but.......
I'm trying to compile a list of the variety of brake rotors available for Porsches so we know what options are available. Anyone know of a listing that includes diameter, thickness and offset? Feel free to pm me with measurements of any rotors you have and I will compile a list and post it. Thanks

Look in the rotor section (2nd half of catalogue). All the info you mention is specified in there. The years are a bit off since this is a european catalogue.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2008_UK_Au...e_Catalogue.pdf

Forgot to mention: for the rear you will need 5-bolt hubs. Getting an early 914 hub redrilled is probably the cheapest/easiest option. You can also install 911 hubs but you will need other half-axles + adapter to your transaxle. Need to be careful what 911 hubs you use - only certain years fit.
race914
Lots of good info here

http://www.vehiclecraft.com/
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(MikeHall @ May 4 2008, 02:52 PM) *

Can I make 993 brakes work on a 911 suspended 914? If so would it be a bolt on or would i have to make custom brackets for the calipers to bolt up?

Mike

Many alternatives out there. Check with Eric Shea......or give Dave a call at TRE
http://www.dwdesignwerks.com/brakes.htm
MikeHall
I dont have the suspension yet but it was later model 911sc with the A calipers that im looking to get. If thats one of the best upgrades I will just stick wth that.

Mike
Mark Henry
The old 914club....hope it's OK to say this.....Brad has, or is working on this set-up for fronts with the billet hubs.
4 bolt or 5 bolt, don't think you need to get a 911 suspension for it.
Eric_Shea
hope it's OK to say this

Not only can you say it... we'll even let you link to it. Now "that's" a novel concept. wink.gif

Mike, how many 100's of pounds and HP will you be adding to this 914?
MikeHall
This 914 is getting a EG33 with WRX 5sp which is 230hp or so as long as I dont do anything else to it. LOL As far as weight I will be adding, Im not sure what else I will end up doing to this car but I may add a roll cage and add some bracing to key areas.

Mike
ClayPerrine
I suggest that you get Boxster calipers.

You can purchase mounting blocks for both the M (3" bolt spacing) strut, and S (3.5" bolt spacing) adapter blocks for the fronts, and the rears are a bolt on. You can even run a 911 park brake on the rear.

I just put a set on my 914 to replace the 944 turbo calipers. I like the feel and the mounting better than the 944s.

Contact Rich Johnson (a914guy@aol.com) about the adapters. He has them in stock ready for shipping.
davep
A good resource on brakes:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/wmv/brakes.htm
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2008, 11:09 PM) *

hope it's OK to say this

Not only can you say it... we'll even let you link to it. Now "that's" a novel concept. wink.gif

Heres's the link, but I can't find the thread that talks about it. E-mail Brad and he'll tell you about it.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...67642&st=60

You can do it 4 or 5 bolt.
davep
Mueller was the guy designing the 'billet hubs'. I searched through this site using '+billet +hubs' and got many hits, but not a really detailed one. Most of this took place before the split, so most of it is still preserved. I know some were made, and sold, but perhaps not many.
PRS914-6
Here you go.....993 on a 914.

For the front with 911 suspension (3.5") you can use a caliper adapter and some Wilwood rotors. A stock Fuchs will not typically fit, I had to use 951 front wheels.

For the rear, although I could have machined them to fit, I chose to install a new anchor plate to the arm. This way a new caliper can be bolted on without machining.

If you do big brakes, check the wheel fitment, needed MC size, etc. It's not a cheap or easy venture by the time you are done.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
with 3.5" struts... you can buy Adapters to put boxsters on the front and rear of your 914.
PRS914-6
Don't forget, if you switch, you have the emergency brake to deal with as well. You can use the 911 setup too but it's a big job
MikeHall
I dont mind a job as I enjoy projects more than anything else. My 914 will be here tomorrow so I can get a good look at what Im going to need to do.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.