Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPG Contest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Al Meredith
I drove my 1976 912E to Charlotte for the PCA event and got 28 MPG with a 2056 and 40MM webers. For those of you with 912Es , I did correct for the spedo correction and I have 205/50s. Speco reads 12% high.
racunniff
Well, it's Labor Day, the end of our little contest. I kept track of my electricity usage all summer, as promised. I drove 498 miles. And I used 244.3 kilowatt-hours of electricity. At 7.5 cents per kilowatt-hour, I spent $18.32 on electricity. This means the average cost per mile over the summer was 3.7 cents. At $4.00 per gallon gas, this is the equivalent of 109 miles per gallon.

If you're interested, you can see all the gory details at my blog.
SGB
Well....

How do you hold a gallon of electricity anyway?

smile.gif

So now you need your own photo voltaic recharge station.
r_towle
I consider the consumables as part of your math...
Battery life is what...3 years on an electric conversion???
(That is if you actually drive the car....500 miles in 90 days...hmmm)

Anyways...I think that the battery value should be factored in...you will need to replace them.

Rich
racunniff
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 1 2008, 10:28 PM) *

I consider the consumables as part of your math...
Battery life is what...3 years on an electric conversion???
(That is if you actually drive the car....500 miles in 90 days...hmmm)

Anyways...I think that the battery value should be factored in...you will need to replace them.

Rich

Yes, in other calculations I've included battery replacement cost. I expect these batteries to last 5 years (I rarely discharge them more than 20%). They cost $1600. The amortized cost over 3 months is therefore $80 (much more than the cost of the electricity). Including electricity, the total cost of the three months was $98.32. This gets it to 19.7 cents per mile. Which is just over 20 mpg equivalent at $4.00 per gallon.

One thing I need to look into is whether I can actually get *money* for the batteries when they are at the end of their life. They still have probably 600-800 pounds of lead in them...
Dr. Roger
my buddy clifford swears he got a combined highway/city ~15% better MPG taking his tire pressures to max. no tuning.

just thinking out loud.

i'm in category VI, "Worst gas mileage". chair.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(racunniff @ Sep 1 2008, 10:51 PM) *

...This gets it to 19.7 cents per mile. Which is just over 20 mpg equivalent at $4.00 per gallon.

One thing to note - if we are going to include consumables and maintenance, the current federal allowable cost per mile is 58.5 cents. This is high because it includes expected depreciation of the vehicle. FWIW.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Sep 1 2008, 07:50 AM) *

I drove my 1976 912E to Charlotte for the PCA event and got 28 MPG with a 2056 and 40MM webers. For those of you with 912Es , I did correct for the spedo correction and I have 205/50s. Speco reads 12% high.

A cool thing about 912E's is the size of the tank. I think still 16 gallons! The factory touted a 600 mile range I believe. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.