Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove front shock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I've removed the front suspension this weekend. I want to remove the shocks from the control arm. I removed the nut and washer that holds the lower shock to the control arm, but I can't get the bolt out, is there a certain technique?
watsonrx13
Also, I started to remove the groved nut that holds the ball joint. Does anyone have the link to the site that showed a home-made tool to remove this groved nut? I think it was a metal water pipe.

When I removed the cotter pin and adjusted the small metal tabs, one of the tabs broke off. Is the small metal tabs attached to the ball joint?
watsonrx13
This is what I removed today.
Eric_Shea
What are ya crazy? Put all that shit back on!

1. The Bolt. Put the nut back on and beat it with a BFH. Have the nut hang on the end so you don't mushroom the end of the bolt. You'll probably ruin the nut.

2. The metal tab is part of the ball joint. I've seen lots that don't use it or the lock...
Aaron Cox
use porsche tool p210 to get that ball joint off, or use dave hunts method with a piece of pipe.
Korijo
Heh, he said water pipe laugh.gif smoke.gif

Try a little heat on the bolt.

The groved nut can be removed with big ol' pipe wrench (and more heat). You are supposed replace thaat nut when installing new ball joints.
Eric_Shea
Try a little heat on the bolt.

Agreed... be careful though. Unless you plan on replacing the $48.00 ball joints heat can be a bad thing that close to the rubber boot. They used to sell just the boot but it's NLA. Also, the bottom of your hydraulic shock is only a few inches away. Massive amounts of heat can get the bolt out but leave you pennyless after new ball joints and strut inserts...

But, maybe that's whay your taking the front end off!?!
watsonrx13
Too bad the boots are NLA because mine are toast. Oh well, more money into the pit.

Eric, I've noticed that the most used tool on any of the front suspension is the BFH, so yea, I can use it again.
Eric_Shea
As long as the boots are trashed, get out my second favorite tool... Mr. MAP torch. You'll need it to take the strut off the ball anyway (more fun to come) laugh.gif
Gint
agree.gif Eric has been here before. I'd loan ya my tool, but I'm going to need it myself in 13 days. No tim eto ship and get it back.

The Bolt. Put the nut back on and beat it with a BFH.

The "suitable drift' can also come in handy at this juncture.
Eric_Shea
The "suitable drift' can also come in handy at this juncture.

You're so refined Mike. First the wine and then the proper tool for the job. What's the world coming to? beer.gif
Gint
Good ole Haynes. I'm getting around to your PM E. I'm workin slow (stautus quo).
rhodyguy
on the large nut, use an air chisel in one of the notches. brad does it. it worked great for me. on the retaining pin, pounding on it will ruin it eventually. i went with new ones. on reassembly REALLEY clean the tapered hole. put some oil on the pin and the hole. fully seat it by tapping it in. DO NOT try to draw it in with the nut you will prob twist it off.

kevin
DNHunt
Here's the link to my homemade ball joint tool. I think a T rather than a 90 degree elbow would work better. Kevin convinced me to use the air chisel to loosen the nut. It works well but bunged up the nut a little. It wasn't too bad so I cleaned it up and reused it. (THIS AIN"T NO CONCOURS WEINIE).

Dave
rhodyguy
the damage is nothing compared what the pipe wrench will do. esp if the wench slips off and your hand blams on the control arm. i did use the p.w. to reinstall. but rather than push the car off the jack stands trying to tighten it i wacked the p.w. with a large hard rubber mallet. i had them check the torque value at fordahls. i was within 5#s or so the tech said. dave, i will be in the garage all day. if you should stop by don't bother to call. i will just have to climb out from under the car to answer the phone to tell you to come over.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

We'll see how it works out. I haven't dragged my butt out to the garage yet so, I'm getting a late start (just getting tired of spending more time under it than driving it). This exhaust leak is driving me crazy. I dreamed about it last night. In my dream I found a hole in the heat exchanger and I plugged it with a quarter. Walked away and said "cheap fix". I'm going nuts.

I have to get the kids to school and take a run to the dump, then try to fix the exhaust leak (I'm beginning to think it's impossible).

Dave
rhodyguy
i'm tearing the whole exh setup off the 75'. what a pos!!! why did porsche design that system? the one on the car has had some "creative" repairs. but i knew that when i got the car. mulitple spray downs with aerokroil yest. bringing out the compressor and cutting tool.

kevin
DNHunt
Any quarters in there, maybe my dream was about your car.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.